PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Animals. i.e big cats

Tim Wagner
07-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Now please don't flame me for this. I know there are animal conservationist's that would be unhappy, but I'll ask anyway.

not having the training, money or space to keep my own. (I would never jepordise a animal due to lack of knowledge or the ability to provide an excellent life for the animal.

Is there a farm, so to speak, where I could go to spend a day interacting with such animals, that anyone knows of? I live near Cleveland and could travel a short distance, say 100 or 200 miles.

thanks.

Jim Becker
07-22-2007, 11:21 AM
I've never seen anything that provided actual "interaction"...as in up close and personal, Tim. I know there is at least one "sanctuary" out there where many animals go to live their lives when they are discovered to be in private hands without proper care, etc., or in other living situations unsafe for the animal. But I'm not aware of the exact locations.

Now, if you want to get really close and can live with glass walls, the Philadelphia Zoo's new Big Cat Falls sometimes offers "within inches" if the cats are in the right mood...but that's about 300 miles, rather than the 100-200 miles you specify.

Tim Wagner
07-22-2007, 11:25 AM
the Philadelphia Zoo's new Big Cat Falls sometimes offers "within inches" if the cats are in the right mood

I had a chance to go there one day and turned it down:(

I might just have to check it out.

Joe Chritz
07-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Detroit zoo isn't bad since the renovations.

Toronto is the place to be for a good zoo. More than just big cats too. It would be more like 300 miles though.

Joe

Jerry Clark
07-22-2007, 2:07 PM
Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge, 7 miles south of Eureka Springs AR. on Highway 23. Phone: (479) 253-5841. [3] (http://www.tigers.tc/) 450 acre USDA licensed refuge for big cats. Open 9 AM till dusk every day except Christmas. On-site bed & breakfast.

This is a great place--:eek: a little farther that you want to go--:( Yes, you can interact with the cats.:D

Jim DeLaney
07-22-2007, 4:32 PM
Now please don't flame me for this. I know there are animal conservationist's that would be unhappy, but I'll ask anyway.

not having the training, money or space to keep my own. (I would never jepordise a animal due to lack of knowledge or the ability to provide an excellent life for the animal.

Is there a farm, so to speak, where I could go to spend a day interacting with such animals, that anyone knows of? I live near Cleveland and could travel a short distance, say 100 or 200 miles.

thanks.

Tim,
I don't know how 'interactive' they are, but you might try Noah's Lost Ark, in Berlin Center. They'd be about 60 miles or so from you.

http://noahslostark.org/

Email me if you're coming down this way. Maybe we can hook up for lunch, or a shop visit.

Mark Rios
07-22-2007, 4:51 PM
I hear that there's an opening at the San Francisco zoo in the big cat exhibits after a female animal keeper got ate earlier this year when she forgot to close a door...............

I don't know if you will find a place that will let you pet, roll around, groom or that sort of thing because of the liability. Wild animals are SO unpredictable (and the insurance is SO high) that I haven't heard of any parks that even have the big cats walk through the crowds on leashes/chains anymore.

I'm not sure that you'll find a place that will let you "swim with the dolphins". Maybe though.......................

mark page
07-22-2007, 9:40 PM
This really don't pertain to the question asked, but as a youngster I had a pet bobcat. He was really a one person cat and very temperamental to other members of the family. We had him declawed in the front and neutered and was a really nice pet for myself. The other five family members sometimes had some nice moments with him if he was antagonized, but I could just about do anything with that animal. Used to ride my bicycle with him draped around my neck. He seemed to love that. When I turned of age and went into the military, he went a little haywire and the family had to put him down. I really felt bad for him as I loved that cat, but some things have to be. Now a days you can't raise them here anymore without state permits and they are pretty costly.

Pat Germain
07-23-2007, 10:16 AM
I hear that there's an opening at the San Francisco zoo in the big cat exhibits after a female animal keeper got ate earlier this year when she forgot to close a door.................

Actually, that happened in Denver, just up the freeway from my homestead. And, you are quite right, Mark, it's a good example of how unpredictable large cats are.

I intend no offense, Tim. If you want to interact with big cats, that's your decision and your business. I only hope you don't plan to get kids involved. That would be a whole different story.

David G Baker
07-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Tim,
Every year the LOML insists that we go to the Ingham County Fair which is not too far from Lansing MI. I thought she wanted to go to the fair to see the exhibits, etc, this is not the case. She wanted to visit the tent that housed the big cats and their kittens (not sure what baby lions are called) and have her photo taken with one on her lap. This way she gets the opportunity to cuddle for a short time. $15 for the cuddle and photo.
Visiting your local fairs will give you an opportunity to spend time around livestock and I am sure that the local 4H members would be delighted to talk to you about their animals.

Pat Germain
07-23-2007, 2:25 PM
Tim,

While off-topic, I wanted to mention that if you like exotic animals, I highly recommend a stay at Disney's Animal Lodge resort at Walt Disney World, Florida. You can't touch the animals, but they literally frolic about right outside your room balcony (although, they are all herbivores). I stayed there last December and it was amazing!

For an extra fee, the resort offers an exclusive "Sunrise Safari", which includes big cats, for concierge guests of Animal Kingdom Lodge. There are also some "behind the scenes" tours you can sign up for (for a premium) and I'm pretty sure those involve some animal interaction.

If you like exotic animals, staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge is well worth the trip and the expense. It's certainly much closer and less expensive than a trip to Kenya. :)

FYI: Parts of Animal Kingdom Lodge are currently closed due to contruction of an new timeshare wing.

Per Swenson
07-23-2007, 4:51 PM
Tim,

I suppose Thailand is little outside budget constraints.

But if you refrain form buying tools,... say,for two years...

who knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7T-Z-h-w1s

Per

Jim Becker
07-23-2007, 5:00 PM
I suppose Thailand is little outside budget constraints.

I suspect that it's over the 200 mile limit of travel, too.....:p

But for free and with no travel at all required, you could just visit the "big cats" here (http://catsinsinks.com/)!

Rob Wright
07-23-2007, 8:12 PM
Maybe a little far but

Wisconsin Big cat Rescue

http://www.jschwark.com/html/cat_main_page.htm

Randy Denby
07-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm a dog person myself....got me 2 wild unpredictable shih-tzu's.:D