PDA

View Full Version : topics of interest to some, but not all.

Tim Wagner
07-22-2007, 11:06 AM
just curious, I know this is a woodworking site, so if this isn't possibility I understand.

In some other forums I belong to, there are sections (forums) that are hidden to the general public (like moderator forums) that could be a section for such topics as the GW topic or any other topic deemed, "Political". those who aren't interested would not even know the section was there. those who would want to read and or post there opinions in such topics could PM a Mod and request to be a Member of said forums. Is this a possibility?

Of course said forum would still be moderated for foul language and name calling, but it would keep those who are interested and those who are not, Happy right?

Just a suggestion.

Gary Keedwell
07-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Interesting... Or maybe have a forum that has a warning or a password so only people who know what to expect could enter. This would leave out family members like wife or kids who would not know the "secret password". :)

Gary K.

Jim Becker
07-22-2007, 11:25 AM
This was asked in another thread. Given that this would 1) not be consistent with the core mission of SMC and 2) require a lot of cost (IE programmer time) to set up, it's unlikely we will do this here at SMC. There are plenty of places to have such discussions on the net.

In fact, a group of folks can set up their own private discussion area at places such as Yahoo or MSN...we have a private "family" group set up that way at Yahoo, for example. And Professor Dr. SWMBO's one brother makes the GW crowd look like amateurs when it comes to "argument" and having the last word...

Jim
SMC Moderator

Jonathon Spafford
07-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Also, having heated off topic discussions like the GW thread can ruin friendships making it hard for folks to discuss on topic discussions in a friendly way.

Brent Dowell
07-22-2007, 6:05 PM
Yup,

There are plenty of places on the net to go and get into arguments about almost anything. There are even places you can go and get real nasty about things like 'WoodWorking'!

No need to get all caught up in politics/religion/GW around here.

The content is just to valuable.

Thanks Sawmill Creek!

Jason Roehl
07-22-2007, 6:37 PM
I don't see any such forum happening here. There are too many folks who even frown on an Off Topic Forum, and the owners/moderators here don't really want or need the extra responsibility. With that said, I would much prefer to have one here over other places. I belong to a truck forum that does have an "anything goes short of name-calling/insults" forum (including politics and religion), and it is overall pretty well behaved. There's no profanity allowed, but it can get PG-13 at times (innuendo and the like). Here, I think it could be different/better, just because I believe the membership as a whole to be better educated and more insightful when it comes to a particular discussion. There, sometimes it is a chore just to decipher what has been typed, let alone interpret the meaning of the message. Of course, the "club" forum is only for paid supporters ($20/yr.) over age 18... Just the fact that we (try to) use real names here engenders a higher level of courtesy and respect. Not always, but believe me, this is a pretty tame forum. What that means to me is that I can trust more people here to read my side of any given discussion more carefully and thoughtfully without simply pigeon-holing every one of my points into a certain socio-econo-politico-theistic stance. (How's that for making up a hyphenated word? :D )

I'm sure that such a forum could work here, but like Jim said, it would be a lot of work up front. Not just the technical setup, but the moderation would require more attention until the membership got a feel for the "rules".

Robert McGowen
07-22-2007, 7:14 PM
(forums) that are hidden to the general public (like moderator forums) that could be a section for such topics as the GW topic or any other topic deemed, "Political". those who aren't interested would not even know the section was there

If they were hidden from the general public, then how would the general public know to PM the moderators to join? Perhaps there already are hidden, secret forums that we don't know about. Hmmmm........ Mods, please post any hidden forums so that I can join, then unpost them. Thanks in adavance.

Brent Dowell
07-22-2007, 7:16 PM
What that means to me is that I can trust more people here to read my side of any given discussion more carefully and thoughtfully without simply pigeon-holing every one of my points into a certain socio-econo-politico-theistic stance. (How's that for making up a hyphenated word? :D )

Great word, Sums up almost all the trouble making topics in one little package!

Roy Harding
07-22-2007, 7:31 PM
just curious, I know this is a woodworking site, so if this isn't possibility I understand.

In some other forums I belong to, there are sections (forums) that are hidden to the general public (like moderator forums) that could be a section for such topics as the GW topic or any other topic deemed, "Political". those who aren't interested would not even know the section was there. those who would want to read and or post there opinions in such topics could PM a Mod and request to be a Member of said forums. Is this a possibility?

Of course said forum would still be moderated for foul language and name calling, but it would keep those who are interested and those who are not, Happy right?

Just a suggestion.

According to you, you already belong to such forums - why bring them here?

This is a wonderful resource for folks interested in woodworking - join a political forum if you want to discuss politics - or a religion forum, etcetera.

Jason Roehl
07-22-2007, 7:52 PM
Roy, the difference is that many of us here have met in person, have developed friendships and relationships that allow us to be more open to discussion of sensitive topics.

In other words, would you grab just any old bloke off the street and ask him for advice? Probably not--you would (if you're thinking straight) go to the friends and family you respect and trust the most. For me, some of the people here fall into that category.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-22-2007, 9:35 PM
Have you ever heard of "Tribe.net" ??

Tim Wagner
07-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Ok. No argument here. It was just a thought I thought I would pass around.

:D:D:D:D

John Schreiber
07-23-2007, 1:06 AM
If I want to bounce a woodworking theory off people, this is the place to go.

If I want to bounce some other idea off people, I respect the people here and would like their opinion on that too. So long as we keep it under control, that works fine in the off topic forum, but if there's a need to go beyond that, there are other places on the web.

These are woodworkers forums. It says so, top left corner of every page.

Roy Harding
07-23-2007, 2:09 AM
Roy, the difference is that many of us here have met in person, have developed friendships and relationships that allow us to be more open to discussion of sensitive topics.

In other words, would you grab just any old bloke off the street and ask him for advice? Probably not--you would (if you're thinking straight) go to the friends and family you respect and trust the most. For me, some of the people here fall into that category.

I understand completely. I am a member of other forums as well as SMC (woodworking and military) - when a forum member and I have a non-forum related topic we wish to discus, we take it to PM or email.

I think SMC is a wonderful resource - and I understand the compulsion for open discussion on any topic with people whose opinion you respect - this Off Topic Forum is just the place for that; I don't see the need for "hidden" forums here - there is nothing "hidden" about woodworking - it's hanging out there for all to see.

Wayne Watling
07-23-2007, 7:18 PM
If I want to bounce a woodworking theory off people, this is the place to go.

If I want to bounce some other idea off people, I respect the people here and would like their opinion on that too. So long as we keep it under control, that works fine in the off topic forum, but if there's a need to go beyond that, there are other places on the web.

These are woodworkers forums. It says so, top left corner of every page.

Just took a quick scan down the list of current threads :) dogs, animals & cats, bikes, electronics, vet bills, snakes, cell phones and online pharmacies, just to list a few topics from the first 2 pages of the off-topic forum.

I noticed that one of the other major woodworking sites (FWW) have a forum named Woodworker's Cafe that they have provided for their members to talk about whatever they need too. You have to specifically subscribe to see it, it would be better if they displayed the name of the forum without actually allowing access until you subscribe so members know it exists. At the moment the only way you know it exists is if you happen to stumble across a post that talks about the existence of the hidden forum.

Ken Salisbury
07-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Sawmill Creek is a group of "woodworking forums" with an 'Off Topic' forum which we have had from day 1. Since we have grown so large in the last year I am of the opinion that we should eliminate the off topic forum. It takes more time to moderate the off topic forum than all the others and causes more controversy than the others combined. Like it has been noted, there are lots of places on the internet to discuss whatever you are interested so I think we should can the thing.

Go to "GlobalWarming.com" or "GasPrices.com" and such :D :) :p .

Jim DeLaney
07-24-2007, 12:17 PM
I'd rather just be able to choose which forums are listed when I click on "New Posts." I have absolutely no interest in reading the Laser forum, the EZ forum, Penn's Wood forum, or the Bow Clamp forum, and have very little interest in the turning forum.

It bugs me to have to sort through all the messages on those forums in order to read only the forums that interest me.

What we really need is the ability to choose which forums we want, while disregarding the rest.

My 2¢ worth.

Jason Roehl
07-24-2007, 7:26 PM
Jim, I am a member on another vBulletin-powered website, and the admin there has enabled that very feature. It's especially nice there because they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 individual forums.

I'm sure there are plenty here who would be willing to chip in some time and help in the moderation duties. Myself included.

Keith Outten
07-24-2007, 9:35 PM
Jim,

I expect Aaron will chime in on this topic and share his view as to whether this is possible via the built-in vBulletin services, whether it is a hack that is available or whether he would have to custom program something to make it happen. The latter is out of our reach this year as we didn't collect enough donations to support any programing costs.

Clearly the ability to select or subscribe to just the Forums you are interested in and have the "New Posts" feature limit the posts to your favorite Forums would be a feature most would enjoy. Let's see what Aaron has to say.

Matt Meiser
07-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Clearly the ability to select or subscribe to just the Forums you are interested in and have the "New Posts" feature limit the posts to your favorite Forums would be a feature most would enjoy. Let's see what Aaron has to say.

Most definitely. Not that there's not good stuff in all the forums, but there are some I rarely read and I'm sure the same is true for others.