PDA

View Full Version : Walnut box

Curt Fuller
07-22-2007, 1:19 AM
This is a small walnut box, 5.5" tall x 2" diameter, that I tried a couple new (for me) things on. Last week I stopped at a yard sale and bought a box of antler pieces and about a pound of turquoise for 5 bucks. So the finial is made from a very small deer antler and the bark pocket in the walnut has a little crushed turquoise glued into it with CA.

Mike A. Smith
07-22-2007, 8:23 AM
I really like the design Curt. Very elegant.

Mark Cothren
07-22-2007, 9:26 AM
Pretty cool stuff, Curt! That antler finial idea is neat... might have to steal that from ya...;)

Shannon Grizzell
07-22-2007, 9:42 AM
Nice work, Curt. I like the antler finial, particularly the bit of natural edge on the base and the bead.

Bernie Weishapl
07-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Curt that is a well done box. I like the form and the way you left the finial where it fits to the box. It is a beauty.

Tom Keen
07-22-2007, 10:40 AM
A beautiful box. The curve on the lid really compliments the shape of the bottom. The filial and inlay are nice details that set up the whole piece. most excellent!

Jim Becker
07-22-2007, 10:54 AM
That has some unique features that play interestingly. Nice work.

Jeff Moffett
07-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Curt, I agree with others. Very elegant. I really like the form and the natural part of the antler.

Travis Stinson
07-22-2007, 12:41 PM
That's very cool Curt! I like everything about it. :cool:

Keith Burns
07-22-2007, 1:21 PM
Great box Curt !! Very unique with the antler finial, rustic yet elegant.

Bill Lantry
07-22-2007, 1:34 PM
Curt,

Very cool. You're one of the most creative guys doing these things now. Every time I see one of your things, I think to myself: I should try that! ;)

Great stuff. Keep it coming! But how did you powder the turquoise?

Thanks,

Bill

Curt Fuller
07-22-2007, 1:56 PM
But how did you powder the turquoise?

Bill

Thanks everyone! Bill I have a very high tech turquoise crusher, Arm and Hammer brand.;) I just put a piece on the garage floor and hit it with a hammer and then swept up the pieces. I think there's probably a better way.

Tom Sherman
07-22-2007, 2:13 PM
Very cool Curt, nice use of materials. I like your method of making powder, could relieve some frustrations.

Brett Baldwin
07-22-2007, 7:41 PM
Looks and sounds like you know how to make the most out of a nice bunch of material. Very nice piece.

Steve Schlumpf
07-22-2007, 8:30 PM
Very impressive Curt! Very nice looking form, wood and finish! Really like the finial - partially turned - partially left natural. Also really like the color combination of everything. As always - very nice work!

Kevin McPeek
07-22-2007, 9:52 PM
Great use of materials on that one. I really like the base of the antler in there. You use a very elegant design and included a few things to remind everyone that you are using very natural materials. I suppose some may feel conflict about that, but it really works for me.
Great stuff!

Curt Fuller
07-22-2007, 11:13 PM
using very natural materials. I suppose some may feel conflict about that

I wondered if this might bother some so just in case this has made anyone feel uncomfortable or something like that, these antlers are all sheds. That is someone has gathered them from where the deer spend the winter and drop them in early spring. None were attached to the skull and there aren't any that seem to be a matched set. So in other words, no animals were harmed in the making of this box.

Kevin McPeek
07-23-2007, 12:14 AM
I wondered if this might bother some so just in case this has made anyone feel uncomfortable or something like that, these antlers are all sheds. That is someone has gathered them from where the deer spend the winter and drop them in early spring. None were attached to the skull and there aren't any that seem to be a matched set. So in other words, no animals were harmed in the making of this box.

Well that was not the conflict I intended to convey, but a good disclaimer none-the-less.
The conflict I was thinking is that many feel that when things are elegant looking and feeling that everything about them should be elegant. In this case you have graceful lines and an elegant look to the piece, but at the same time you included the base of the antler where it is rugged and a little gnarly and used the contrasting fill on what appears to have been a fairly large inclusion.

Patrick Taylor
07-23-2007, 12:48 AM
I think a better word is contrast. I agree Kevin, I think the contrast is good. Nice work Curt!

Well that was not the conflict I intended to convey, but a good disclaimer none-the-less.
The conflict I was thinking is that many feel that when things are elegant looking and feeling that everything about them should be elegant. In this case you have graceful lines and an elegant look to the piece, but at the same time you included the base of the antler where it is rugged and a little gnarly and used the contrasting fill on what appears to have been a fairly large inclusion.

Pete Jordan
07-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Wow Curt!

You can make anything work and you certainly did with this piece!

TYLER WOOD
07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
BEAUTIFUL! Love the antler idea. Have some myself. If ya don't mind I may steal, or borrow your ider for the finial. HTanks for posting this nice piece.

Joseph Peacock
07-24-2007, 6:50 PM
It is so BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!:D ;) :cool:

Bill Wyko
07-24-2007, 7:00 PM
Curt you did a great job. You know I'm a big fan of the Turquoise and you used it perfectly. "A" in my book.:)