PDA

View Full Version : grizzly / delivery?

john white
07-21-2007, 9:48 PM
hello folks, i,ve ordered a grizzly 1023slx tablesaw yesterday and i'm sure i'll be very happy with it when it gets here next week some time.(anxiously waiting!)just curious if anyone has had any problems with delivery or damage to something you've ordered from them?saw is comeing from mo. to fl via ups freight from what i was told yesterday.recieved a delta 1836 last year without any problems.i read one of our members had problems with a jointer that was damaged in shipping or shipper.hope this dose'nt happen to me.just a little paranoid i guess. thanks, new member last month, enjoy checking it out every night. john

Jim Thiel
07-21-2007, 9:54 PM
no need for paranoia, John. Grizzly will have your back with this saw. I've got a 12 year old 1023, and they have been most helpful.

Jim

Steven Wilson
07-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Once it leaves Grizzly's warehouse it's in the hands of the frieght companies. Unfortunately all of them take great pleasure in mangling your shipment (somewhat tounge in cheek). It may arrive in great shape, it may not - not really up to Grizzly. Welcome to the world of frieght shipments.

Jim Thiel
07-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Unfortunately all of them take great pleasure in mangling your shipment (somewhat tounge in cheek).

Now now, John is new here. We don't punch 'em like that until they have at least 10 posts.;)

Jim

Chris Barton
07-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi John,

I've ordered from several manufacturers and have received shipments from several different motor freight companies and the bottom line is that more often than not any damage comes from the motor freight company's handling of the product. As has been suggested, relax and wait for the delivery. By in large, my experiences with the freight companies have been positive and the drivers very courteous. Remember, if the driver helped you with the unloading and positing of the product that a decent tip is in order. In uncomplicated situations around $20 is about right...

Don Bullock
07-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Along the same lines as John's question, how to I get a machine shipped by Grizzly off the truck when it arrives at my home? No, I'm not considering renting a forklift.:confused: Thanks.

Chris Barton
07-21-2007, 11:00 PM
When you place your order let them know you will need lift-gate service. That gets it off the truck and on the ground for you. Now if you need someone to move it for you that will be a different matter entirely. Try calling some moving companies. The truth of the matter is that motor freight only get it to you, not moved to your site of use. Anything more than that, you pay (and arrange) extra...

Stephen Pereira
07-21-2007, 11:08 PM
I just had the very same saw delivered last week. I had it shipped to work where there is a loading dock and forklift. Grizzly assured me the trucking company would call before delivery.. they didn't. It says right on the Bill of Lading "call such and such before delivery". Anyway, I thought I might be out of the building when the saw arrived so I asked my co-workers to note on the BOL if there was ANY damage to the shipping container. The cardboard container had a rip and was so noted on the BOL but fortunately no damage to the saw. Whew!

Kent E. Matthew
07-21-2007, 11:10 PM
One tip to better your position with freight carriers. Completely unpackage your machine and inspect it for damage before you sign anything. Once you sign you release the company and the driver and accept the freight in its current condition. If there is damage make the driver note it on the receipt and sign it. You will be in a much better position to argue for compensation with the carrier after the fact.

Richard M. Wolfe
07-21-2007, 11:32 PM
I ordered the G0454 20" planer grom Grizzly last Friday. I had it shipped to an address other than my house and inadvertently gave the wrong address (old phone book and changed address system). Grizzly did everything but personally collar me to get it straightened out.

It shipped out of Springfield, MO last Monday and arrived Wednesday afternoon. Driver (SAIA trucking) called twice while in route to make sure of the location (out in the sticks) and once there unloaded it, put it where we wanted and more or less insisted on being there while it was uncrated and even helped a bit. We all looked it over and found it to be in good shape. Better for him to deal with any issues then than later. Since we don't have a loading dock had to specify a liftgate, which was $30 extra.

Immediately changed the knife cutterhead with a Shelix I had previously ordered. G0454 with Shelix 400 bucks less than the other Grizzly with their spiral head and we have a backup cutterhead. Maybe it's not as pretty as the other one but it's meant to plane wood, not be looked at.

Ran an eight foot 14" piece of live oak through it and it didn't blink and that may well be the toughest test it ever gets. Then a four inch thick 15 inch wide seven foot cedar mantle with a bunch of knots. A tad of roughness in a couple knots but no **** tearout. No evidence of "furrowing".

I guess this has turned into a testimonial for Grizzly, SAIA, and Shelix.:o

Tim Quigley
07-23-2007, 10:45 PM
When I ordered my 1023 the plastic dust collection attachment I bought with it arrived cracked and unusable. One call to Griz and I had a new one in maybe 2 days. I seem to recall them telling me to call if I had any other problems. Very good service! Their CEO is a member of this board and I've seen him intervene when issues come up. Hopefully it will not be an issue, but bottom line...if you are reasonable, I'm sure they will take care of any issues that arrise.

Tim

Tim Morton
07-23-2007, 11:50 PM
hello folks, i,ve ordered a grizzly 1023slx tablesaw yesterday and i'm sure i'll be very happy with it when it gets here next week some time.(anxiously waiting!)just curious if anyone has had any problems with delivery or damage to something you've ordered from them?saw is comeing from mo. to fl via ups freight from what i was told yesterday.recieved a delta 1836 last year without any problems.i read one of our members had problems with a jointer that was damaged in shipping or shipper.hope this dose'nt happen to me.just a little paranoid i guess. thanks, new member last month, enjoy checking it out every night. john

A friend of mine had a 1023s delivered to him and it arrived looking as if it came back from iraq. He refused shipment and grizzly sent him a new one the next day via a different carrier and it arrived a few days later in pristine condition.

Grizzly is great...and BTW...nice hidden gloat:D

Harley Lewis
07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
John, I have 4 green machines in my shop, most of which I transported from their Springfield warehouse myself. I did have a 15 inch planer delivered last fall and it came in good shape to the local dock.

My impression is most of not all of the damages to the machines come from the local delivery carriers. I borrowed a small tilt bed trailer and went to the main delivery port and they loaded it with a fork lift. Not a scratch on anything! If you could duplicate what I did it will save you tail gate services, and you will more than likely get an undamaged machine.

Cody Colston
07-24-2007, 12:16 PM
I was at work when my GO513 band saw was delivered. LOML took delivery and signed the receipt. Unfortunately, when I got home, I found the upper door bent too badly to be usable. Evidently it had tipped over at some point and the crating was not the best.

One call to Grizzly explaining what happened and they sent me a new door asap.

I've since bought a GO586 jointer and a 1023SLX TS. Now, I ask that the tools be held at the trucking terminal here in town and I pick them up there. I can inspect it before they load it onto my trailer with a forklift.

Carl Oresick
07-24-2007, 10:40 PM
As mentioned, just make note on the bill of laden ANY damage, slight or otherwise to the tool or the crate. That way if you spot something after all the excitement of delivery you can point to the container damage as probable cause. My Grizzly G0490 crate lterally looked like it fell off the truck :eek: and Grizzly sent me a entire new shipment. The stand came damaged and got it replaced - saw forklift holes in the box. All in all it was a hassle but I never felt abandoned, they were apologetic and had good service.