PDA

View Full Version : David Beckham and the LA Galaxy

Clint Jones
07-21-2007, 9:12 PM
Just wondering if anyone is catching the football game on ESPN LA Galaxy vs. Chelsea FC. It's about time the US catches up with the rest of the world. David Beckham signing with the LA Galaxy is possibly the biggest deal in sports ever. I hope soccer catches on here as it has in the rest of the world it truly is "the Beautiful Game".

Brent Dowell
07-21-2007, 9:22 PM
I'm pretty much a total Non-Sports fan (well not total, the only sport I watch from beginning to end is the Americas Cup, and I really don't know why).

I have a feeling that someday, when all the kids who have been raised on soccer here in the US grow up and raise their kids to love it, it will catch on.

Not sure if it will be able to attract the rest of the existing sports fan base though.

But anything that gets the kids away from the playstations and outside running around seems like a good thing.

Joe Pelonio
07-21-2007, 9:33 PM
I heard he was injured and only likely to play a few minutes. On soccer, I coached for 12 years, and the kids had a lot of fun. But - it will never catch on like the others because it's not marketable on TV. Not enough commercial break time. Becasue of that the salaries will never be enough to attract talented athletes away from the big money sports.

Chris Barton
07-21-2007, 9:59 PM
Huh? Who is David Beckham and the LA Galaxy? Just kidding... Even I have seen he and "Posh" on TV.

Greg Peterson
07-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Football is my favorite sport. American style that is. Basketball is my second favorite. After that, I lose interest.

Maybe one day I'll give soccer a fair shake. Till then, fall and winter Sunday mornings have my full attention.

Henry Cavanaugh
07-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Was beckman added because hes that good or because he's able to market product?

Gary Keedwell
07-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Isn't soccer for the people who aren't picked for the baseball team?:confused:

Gary k.

Jim DeLaney
07-22-2007, 11:17 AM

I suspect he came to America because he's no longer 'in his prime' for playing with the big boys in UK & Europe. He's been around for a long time over there, and there are a lot of up and coming (read: younger) players that now show great potential as "The Next Beckham."

As for his being the best thing for boosting American soccer, it's been tried before. History does repeat itself. Anyone remember Pelé? He was supposed to gain American soccer a new level of recognition twenty or so years ago. He was a great Brazilian star, but was a bit 'over the hill' for their league, so he too came to the U.S. and got in a few more seasons of play - and several more millions of dollars - before actually retiring.

Once again, much hype. Much ado over nothing - or at least over very little...

Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.

Jim Becker
07-22-2007, 11:48 AM

IMHO, both. He's surely a very good player, even if he's not what he was earlier...and I have now way of knowing that as I don't follow the sport. But he's also a huge marketing draw and that's good for the franchise, the league and the sport. For those of us who grew up only knowing American football, it's sometimes hard to follow soccer/football, but it truly is one of the global common interests between so many people all over the world. There are also many, many young people in North America who play the sport today...just drive by any sports field on Saturday mornings when there isn't snow on the ground. The disconnect comes somewhere between these kid's leagues and the pro levels...something that may change over time if the marketing gets as good as it is for other pro sports in NA.