PDA

View Full Version : New Server

Julie Wright
01-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Hey Keith,
I think you might need a new server soon, it seems to be getting slower around here. You (WE) are growing in leaps and bounds !!! :) :D

Mark Singer
01-19-2004, 10:37 PM
From my computer it seems fine! Better than many other websites.

Ted Shrader
01-19-2004, 10:38 PM
From my computer it seems fine! Better than many other websites.
Ditto here. Mine is speeding right along.

Ted

Tyler Howell
01-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Julie,

I think it is the cold. Electrons don't want to move too fast up here in the frozen north.;)

Keith Outten
01-20-2004, 3:43 AM
There are many reasons why you would experience a slow response. Data packets may experience network congestion at any point between your machine and the SMC server. This would include bandwidth allocation, slow response from your DNS server on your network, etc.

We monitor out network very close, at peak we are using approximately 47% of our bandwith. The SMC server load is normally between 10 to 15% of our CPU capability. It is possible to experience an extreame load from a surge of thousands of people connecting a particular server but this would show up on the SMC main menu which publicly displays the largerst number of members who visited at any one time. Our current max peak on the SMC server was 12-16-03 at 169 members.

There are vBulleting boards that service over 50,000 members, this is one of the reasons that we selected vBulleting for SawMill Creek. When the time comes that our server loads become excessive vBulletin will allow us to load share across multiple servers.

Ken Salisbury
01-20-2004, 7:10 AM
Running at Warp Speed here on my DSL :D

Mike Evertsen
01-20-2004, 8:39 AM
think this is slow over at woodnet I can fix my breakfast waiting for it load,,I'm thinking about going satillite since I can't get DSL but it's that 600.00 start up fees,,,

Byron Trantham
01-20-2004, 8:48 AM
No speed/response problems here in Frederickburg, Va

Aaron Koehl
01-20-2004, 8:55 AM
Indeed, SawmillCreek is monitored very closely, including all of its performance metrics, and is backed by a top notch system administration team. :D

_Aaron_

Jim Becker
01-20-2004, 9:01 AM
Indeed, SawmillCreek is monitored very closely, including all of its performance metrics, and is backed by a top notch system administration team.

I guess that accounts for the halo in your new avitar!!

Seriously, no speed problems here other than the initial hit/logon. Once in the system, it works as well and anywhere I visit, if not better.

Steve Inniss
01-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Julie,
I don't know if this will help you or someone else ...the problem may be on your end.
About a month ago I was having the same problem. I live on a lake, far from the nearest telco, so I just have dialup. I was using MS Internet Explorer, like most others. Problem was, visits to most websites left my PC planted with data miners and other stuff. These feed info to different destinations over your connection as to where you are browsing etc.. They are written with Internet Explorer in mind. Only having dialup, the majority of my bandwidth was used servicing these "suckers" and my website loading was grinding to a halt.
I noticed that the top download by far on a lot of PC oriented sites was a free utility called Ad-aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/. When I used it, 30 or so of these and others were detected and SAFELY eliminated. My response time immediately shot up. After browsing just a few sites, I ran Ad-aware which discovered another 4-8 or so of these miners planted and eliminated them. This will happen with each web session - you can continue doing this and be fine. I went one step further and started using another browser, Mozilla Firebird http://www.mozilla.org/download.html (well recommended and free), and I almost never get anything "planted.
It may still be dialup but my throughput is now excellent - I cannot believe the difference these have made. -Steve

Chris Johnson
01-20-2004, 9:10 PM
Ad-aware is a very good program, and I would only add that as soon as you install it and start it for the first time, click the link that say 'Check for updates', as there will definately be one. Also, if your current version of Adaware is over about three months old, uninstall it and download the newest version. The reason is that updates are version specific, and older versions may say that no updates are available, but newer versions will have current updates.

Julie,
I don't know if this will help you or someone else ...the problem may be on your end.
About a month ago I was having the same problem. I live on a lake, far from the nearest telco, so I just have dialup. I was using MS Internet Explorer, like most others. Problem was, visits to most websites left my PC planted with data miners and other stuff. These feed info to different destinations over your connection as to where you are browsing etc.. They are written with Internet Explorer in mind. Only having dialup, the majority of my bandwidth was used servicing these "suckers" and my website loading was grinding to a halt.
I noticed that the top download by far on a lot of PC oriented sites was a free utility called Ad-aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/. When I used it, 30 or so of these and others were detected and SAFELY eliminated. My response time immediately shot up. After browsing just a few sites, I ran Ad-aware which discovered another 4-8 or so of these miners planted and eliminated them. This will happen with each web session - you can continue doing this and be fine. I went one step further and started using another browser, Mozilla Firebird http://www.mozilla.org/download.html (well recommended and free), and I almost never get anything "planted.
It may still be dialup but my throughput is now excellent - I cannot believe the difference these have made. -Steve

Rob Littleton
01-20-2004, 11:14 PM
perfect here in the valley....

Of course, I assume you are a Cisco powered network :-)

Jim Becker
01-21-2004, 7:22 PM
Of course, I assume you are a Cisco powered network

Oh, phooey! This is a "standards-based" woodworking forum! :D

Rob Littleton
01-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Oh, phooey! This is a "standards-based" woodworking forum! :D

uh huh........my point exactly