PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw advice needed for a lefty!!

Jason White
07-21-2007, 5:10 PM
Was all set to buy a new Bosch or Festool "barrel-grip" jigsaw, but there's a problem. I'm left-handed.

Both of these wonderful saws have the power switches located on the left side of the housing, which causes them to dig into my left hand. Sigh!

So... now I'm considering either the Milwaukee 6276-21 or the Metabo STE 135 PLUS. Both of these are barrel-grip and have the power switch on the top of the saw, so I think either would feel better in my hand.

Anybody have either one of these saws? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jason

Steven Wilson
07-21-2007, 6:43 PM
I have some other Metabo stuff and it's very well made kit. I would imagine that their jigsaw would be as good as the Bosch.

Doug Shepard
07-21-2007, 6:45 PM
You're set on the barrel grip? I've got a Bosch D-Handle and dont think there's anything about it that would hinder a lefty. The switch is in the handle plus you'd get the variable speed triggered by how far you depress the switch.

Dixon Peer
07-21-2007, 6:56 PM
I'm a lefty and I have been using a Bosch barrel grip for years. The switch has never bothered me at all. I also own the Festool jig saw...same feeling and no discomfort. So from personal experience I don't think the switches on either of them will cause you a problem.

Jason White
07-21-2007, 7:20 PM
Interesting. I only tested the Festool, so perhaps I should do the same with the Bosch.

Jason

I'm a lefty and I have been using a Bosch barrel grip for years. The switch has never bothered me at all. I also own the Festool jig saw...same feeling and no discomfort. So from personal experience I don't think the switches on either of them will cause you a problem.

Chris Barton
07-21-2007, 8:24 PM
You're set on the barrel grip? I've got a Bosch D-Handle and dont think there's anything about it that would hinder a lefty. The switch is in the handle plus you'd get the variable speed triggered by how far you depress the switch.

I have the D-handle Bosch and I think Doug's suggestion is spot on. This is the best scroll saw on the market in my opinion.

Jerry White
07-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Jason,

I'm a lefty and I've had the Bosch barrel grip jigsaw for several years. I have never noticed any discomfort or disadvantage while using it.

Hold on! Now that I think about it, I probably use it in my right hand almost as much as my left hand. The saw feels good either way.

Jerry

Peter Pedisich
07-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Jason,

Trust your instincts. I have a Festool barrel grip and I love it, but I'm righty. A lefty friend of mine used my Festool and did not like it at all simply because of the switch location.
Now I think the Bosch and Festool are the only ones with the carbide blade guides, but they are not the only QUALITY jig saws.

Good luck,

Pete

Jason White
07-22-2007, 7:55 AM
I just sold my D-handle Bosch. Didn't care for it. Had nothing to do with my "left-handedness." Just like the feeling of control better with the barrel-grip.

Jason

I have the D-handle Bosch and I think Doug's suggestion is spot on. This is the best scroll saw on the market in my opinion.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-22-2007, 9:04 AM
I'm a leftie and I have the Bosch D handle. I really like it AND the thing is made so I can grab the barrel for finer control

Chris Rosenberger
07-22-2007, 9:29 AM
I am also a leftie. I have been using the barrel grip bosch for several years without any problem.

Jason White
07-22-2007, 9:38 AM
Well, I've ruled out the Festool -- but I think I'm going to give the newer Bosch & Milwaukee barrel-grips a try. Just placed an order for both on Tool Barn. They have the lowest price on the Bosch right now (cheaper than Amazon even with shipping).

Will fondle both once I get them and make a decision. Too bad I can't test-drive a few before deciding. Sigh!

Stay tuned!

Jason

I am also a leftie. I have been using the barrel grip bosch for several years without any problem.

Carl Crout
07-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I just sold my D-handle Bosch. Didn't care for it. Had nothing to do with my "left-handedness." Just like the feeling of control better with the barrel-grip.

Jason

You just like the barrel type because Norm has one.... :)

I have a d handle Bosch and i am left handed. Works fine, no problems

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-22-2007, 5:13 PM
Well, I've ruled out the Festool -- but I think I'm going to give the newer Bosch & Milwaukee barrel-grips a try. Just placed an order for both on Tool Barn. They have the lowest price on the Bosch right now (cheaper than Amazon even with shipping).

Will fondle both once I get them and make a decision. Too bad I can't test-drive a few before deciding. Sigh!

Stay tuned!

Jason

You'll get the Bosch.

Jason White
07-27-2007, 5:28 PM
You were right!!

I just tried out my new Bosch 1591EVS with the barrel grip and it's AMAZING! Feels great in either hand and cuts like a dream. I can't imagine the Festool being much better (and I've got a few little green tools already).

Thanks for the comments! Very helpful.

JW

You'll get the Bosch.