View Full Version : Second set of photos

Jim King
07-21-2007, 3:12 PM
More photos

Jim Becker
07-21-2007, 3:18 PM
Same comments as my previous. The last one in this set might be nice for a more "rustic" cabinet design, but again, having things fall in the right place on the carcass could be a challenge.

Number one and number two don't work at all for cabinetry, IMHO.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-21-2007, 3:29 PM
another million of #4 please

Nancy Laird
07-21-2007, 4:04 PM
Jim,

#3 and 4 are possibles. My opinion of #1 is a BIG YUCK! It looks like alien heads, and #2 just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Nancy

Bill Lantry
07-21-2007, 6:50 PM
Jim,

I have a contrary opinion. In the metropolis, there would be a market for high end things made out of that stuff. Things like that just can't be found.

Your only challenge would be connecting to that market... but once you did, you'd do very well on both coasts... especially if you can argue that it's renewable.

my personal favorite is #1. It's true that stuff won't fly in Slippery Rock... but it would soar in Chevy Chase...

Thanks,

Bill

Doug Shepard
07-21-2007, 9:15 PM
Is this where you sign up for the Rorschak tests?:D

Seriously - #4 from this bunch looks pretty good. Numbers 3,4, &5 on the other thread were nice, though #3 was a bit busy there as well. To me, the wild figure would be a bit overpowering on the larger scale of a sheet of plywood or cabinets, but that's just my opinion, which aint worth squat.

Art Mann
07-21-2007, 9:19 PM
I hope you are looking for honest answers. I would find very little use for any of those samples. The wood pattern is too "loud" for my tastes. I might use a small piece as a kind of accent in a big piece of furniture made from another wood.

Mike Parzych
07-21-2007, 9:29 PM
I agree 100% with Bill Lantry - big appeal to the high end market with more refined tastes, especially for the uniqueness factor.

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on some for furniture applications. Love the first 3 in particular.

Art Mulder
07-21-2007, 9:33 PM
Number Three is wild. Number Four is okay also, but it seems not that different from what we can find here in a rotary cut.

Now... Make #1 stop looking at me!
(brr, couldn't have that in the house)

Jim O'Dell
07-21-2007, 9:50 PM
Number Three is wild. Number Four is okay also, but it seems not that different from what we can find here in a rotary cut.

Now... Make #1 stop looking at me!
(brr, couldn't have that in the house)

Is there a new breed of dog called a Bearded Boxer? :eek: :D That is some wild grain. Interesting if trying to make a statement, but too busy to be comfortable with. Jim.

John Timberlake
07-21-2007, 9:50 PM
Numbers 1, 2, 3 would be too much for a full kitchen. Number 4 would look good. 1, 2, 3 would look fine to use for a door or two, but not the whole cabinet job. Just my opinion.

I would love to have a sheet of both number 1's to use for a couple of small jobs.

David DeCristoforo
07-21-2007, 10:13 PM
My brother would take #1 and make a couple of doors for an ent. center. Of course, his pieces are very "arty" and whimisical. But, hey, it ain't called "art furniture" for nothing!

Brett Baldwin
07-22-2007, 4:15 AM
I'm sure that there is a small market for the "busier" ones (1,2,3 of set one and 1,2 of set two) but I would be surprised if it would turn out to be self-sustaining. The last 2 of each set have more consistency that I think would have a wider appeal.
My general thought is that if it is practical manufacture-wise, that you could offer these as custom order pieces to the high-end makers that would have the clientele to afford them. That would seem to me to be the least risky propostion overall.

Bill Lantry
07-22-2007, 10:57 AM
On the high end market thing:

Right next to our local woodcraft, there's a store called brazilian hardwoods. I'd always been curious about it, but it's not open on the weekends. A few weeks back, I happened to be there on a workday (don't ask ;)

Anyway, they were open, and I went in and found some amazing stuff:

That bed is going for 40,000 dollars. Would it sell in the heartland? Maybe not. But it will sell here... ;) The other stuff is similarly priced. They've been in business for a while...

Thanks,

Bill

Nancy Laird
07-22-2007, 2:48 PM
Bill, where is "here?"

Bill Lantry
07-22-2007, 5:50 PM
"Bill, where is "here?""

Nancy,

Inside the Beltway. Actually, the shop is located about a mile outside the beltway, but almost everyone who lives around there here works in DC.

Thanks,

Bill

Mike Parzych
07-22-2007, 6:39 PM
$40,000 for a bed?

I was thinking "high-end" not "stupid end." But it does validate the concept that unique things are worth a premium.

Corey Hallagan
07-22-2007, 6:44 PM
I don't think these are for the normal kitchen but I could see these on specialty furniture makers and that kind of thing, especially table tops. I agree with the other poster.. the high end exotic market is where you customer will be on these... not the everyday kitchen cabinet market.

Corey

Bob Feeser
07-22-2007, 11:54 PM
More photos

Rorschach inkblot test take one:
I could see the first one in a bar on a wall. It looks like people talking to one another holding drinks. The first couple on the left are celebrating something by clicking their glasses. The others are just having a casual chat.:) On a subliminal level, it is people at varying degrees of togetherness, much like you would see in a bar situation. I think the chick to the far riight is kind of cute. :) :) :) :cool: