PDA

View Full Version : Oneida Portable Dust Collector

Bill Fleming
07-21-2007, 3:06 PM
Anyone have any real world experience with the Oneida Portable? I see they are on sale and seem a great deal. Of course the type of sale price shown is many times the result of coming model changes, anyone have any insight in this area?

Cheers - Bill

Jim Becker
07-21-2007, 3:19 PM
I believe Bob Marino has the portable unit in his shop. Hopefully, he'll respond. (I'll ding him via IM)

Bob Marino
07-21-2007, 6:04 PM
Bill,

I have the Oneida portable unit and and though I have not put a lot of mileage on it, but do like it because of the configuration of my shop is so ever changing, that portability of machinery was my primary consideration when I purchased the unit. I assume the specs are correct and the suction is very strong. It seems well made and the motor is made in the USA. They did send out handles to make moving it around the shop easier, but I think they should have used bigger wheels as I feels a bit "tipsy" when I roll it around. What the updates are, I don't know, but I am satisfied with the unit and would say it's certainly worth a look if portability is an issue.

Bob

Bill Fleming
07-21-2007, 6:50 PM
Thx Bob for the notes. I am planning to add a MiniMax S315WS sliding saw to my shop and am planning forward concerning dust collection - Jim I think you have the same or similar saw - what do you do for dust collection and does anyone have an optinion if this portable unit would be adequate for this type of saw?

Thx Bill

Jim Becker
07-21-2007, 6:57 PM
Bill, I have a 2hp Oneida Commercial system...the equivalent of the current 2hp "Super Gorilla", more or less. The Oneida portable should work fine as long as you use a relatively short hose. You'll want to consider investing in some quick disconnects as you'll need to adapt to the 120mm connection under the saw blade shroud on the S315 WS as well as accommodate the overhead guard pickup which is 2.5". Remember you'll also need a separate 20 amp 240v circuit for the dust collector in addition to the 30 amp 240v circuit for the saw. (Assuming you're buying the single phase version like I have)