PDA

View Full Version : Yet another lurker finally presses the Register button

Jeff Skory
01-19-2004, 9:05 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jeff Skory and I live in Wixom Michigan. I quite new to the world of woodworking. I have always dreamed of having a woodshop to play in but never wanted to commit the money necessary.

But, about 4 months ago I decided to justify the plunge on the basis that I don't own a sports car or a boat or a jetski or a cottage or any other expensive toy. I took out a $5,000 home equity loan and started putting together a shopping list.

You guys have been invaluable to me in deciding what to buy and why I would want to buy it.

I carved out a 15 x 13 foot area in my basement, built some walls with drywall on the outside and white pegboard on the inside. I then purchased the following:
10" 3 HP Delta Unisaw with 50" Biesemeyer fence
6" Delta jointer
13" 2-speed Delta planer
Jet 650 CFM Dust Collector
Jet Air Filtration System

and for my Birthday and Christmas I have added a Porter Cable plunge router, some bits, and a set of chisels.

I have been having a riot!! I've made a few things for the shop and a couple of recipe boxes. I am planning on trying an End Table soon and would eventually like to build a workbench.

And I just want to say that it is a real pleasure to read this forum with all of you sharing your knowledge and opinions.

Keith Outten
01-19-2004, 9:17 PM
We're glad you decided to join us at "The Creek". I'm sure that you will really enjoy your new hobby and will count the days before you get the bug and purchase a lathe. The turning bug is very contagious around here :)

Dave Avery
01-19-2004, 9:23 PM
Hi Jeff,

Nice to meet you, welcome to Sawmill Creek. Dave.

Jim Becker
01-19-2004, 9:29 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Jeff. Whether you wear boots or go barefoot, this is a nice place to wade!

The shop sounds like it's coming along nicely. Building shop fixtures and small project like the table you propose is a great way to exercise your tools and skills. Highly recommended!

Ted Calver
01-19-2004, 9:38 PM
Glad you pushed the button Jeff!! The more the merrier. Welcome to the creek. Ted

John Miliunas
01-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Good for you (and us!), Jeff! Glad to have you aboard and, as I'm sure others will tell you, we really DO enjoy pictures around here! Workshops are a particular favorite for many, including myself! Have fun, come often, stay long! :cool:

Todd Burch
01-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Pictures - pictures - we need pictures!!

Oh, by the way - besides white pegboard - what color is your shop? HA HA HA!!!

Welcome! Todd

Ted Shrader
01-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Jeff -

Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out.

Sounds like you are well one your way. Glad to see you have dust collection capability right off the bat. Still on my list . . . .

Welcome,
Ted

Tyler Howell
01-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Welcome Jeff,

Sound like some real good investments. I'm with Todd. I like to look at the pictures;)

Bob Lasley
01-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Welcome Jeff,

Glad you decided to join us. Don't be bashful, questions, comments, humor and pics welcome anytime.

Bob

Alan Turner
01-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Welcome to the Creek. Don't let that workbench keep ticking to the bottom of your "things to do list". You will find that it is among the most valuable of all tools.
Alan

Kelly C. Hanna
01-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Sounds like a heck of a nice start! I too would like to see pics!

Robert Mayer
01-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Do you have any money left? Your required to purchase something for each person here.

Dick Parr
01-20-2004, 3:19 PM
Welcome Jeff, sit back and enjoy.

Kurt Aebi
01-20-2004, 3:30 PM
Welcome Jeff,

These guys will be an invaluable source for knowledge and workmanship. Too bad you already have a tablesaw, I hear that Bob Lasley has one for sale.

Congrats Bob on the published shop tip.

Jeff Skory
01-20-2004, 10:36 PM
I took some pictures this evening. Still have a bit of organizing to do but who doesn't.
These pictures show the tablesaw as seen through the door to my shop. Jointer is behind it with some wood above and to the side. Other pictures show the subpanel, air filter, dust collector, and a rolling cabinet I threw together for my planer.

The mobile base on the tablesaw is a must for such a small shop.

Jeff Skory
01-20-2004, 10:40 PM
As you can see I still need to hang a lot of stuff on the pegboard. The three shelves full of stuff need to be cleared out so that I have room to put the workbench I will eventually build.

Here are a couple of more pictures - one of a recipe box - It took a lot of trial and error to figure out how to do those darn box joints accurately on a tablesaw without a dado blade. And also something I whipped up the other night - a downdraft table for sanding. The last time I sanded it made a mess everywhere. Haven't put it to a real hard test yet but in the few minutes of sanding a 2x4 it looked like it might be working.

Roger Barga
01-21-2004, 4:02 AM
Nice shop Jeff - say, Wixom MI isn't that far of a drive from Seattle, WA. I'll head over this weekend and we'll make some sawdust ;-).
Thanks for sharing for your project and shop photos.

Cheers,
Roger

As you can see I still need to hang a lot of stuff on the pegboard. The three shelves full of stuff need to be cleared out so that I have room to put the workbench I will eventually build.

Here are a couple of more pictures - one of a recipe box - It took a lot of trial and error to figure out how to do those darn box joints accurately on a tablesaw without a dado blade. And also something I whipped up the other night - a downdraft table for sanding. The last time I sanded it made a mess everywhere. Haven't put it to a real hard test yet but in the few minutes of sanding a 2x4 it looked like it might be working.

Don Farr
01-21-2004, 8:11 AM
Nice shop Jeff and welcome to the Creek. Lots of good folks here and in my humble opinion the BEST WWing forum on the net.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-21-2004, 10:16 AM
I sure like that saw...you like it so far?

John Scarpa
01-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Welcome aboard Jeff. You're going to enjoy the stay. Lots of great people here.
John

Jason Tuinstra
01-21-2004, 4:25 PM
Welcome Jeff. Great start on the tools! I didn't know about home equity loans when I first got started - probably a good thing.

Jeff Skory
01-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I know I will like it here because as I mentioned I have been reading post on and off for about 4 months.

Kelly, yes I do like the saw a lot. Of course the only thing I have to compare to it is my old $100 Sears tablesaw that I recently sold.

I sure am seeing the need for a dado blade though. But rather than spend money on that I think I will figure out how to use my router. Another tool that I need to learn more about. :D

John Miliunas
01-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Hey Jeff, in your pics, I note the presence of eye protection, mask, material pushers, etc..., but I also note the absence of a splitter or guard on your TS! Hopefully, it's just like many of the magazine articles where "...the guard is removed only for picture clarity..."! Seriously, IMHO, the single-most important safety device (after 100% concentration, of course) on the TS is a reliable splitter! It's especially important when that concentration level falls below 100%! I know the stock unit is probably as cumbersome as most stock units go, but it's better than nothing and there are numerous alternatives to be had, as well. Stay safe.... :cool:

Jeff Skory
01-22-2004, 5:22 PM
John,

You are very observant. Yes it is off and I don't put it on as often as I should because the stock unit is cumbersome and I am frequently throwing my crosscutting sled onto the TS. Not a good excuse.

I have been looking for a better alternative. Noticed that Wood magazine is going to review splitters in their next issue.

What types of splitters do other people here use? I haven't done a search on this newsgroup yet, but will as soon as I post this.

I appreciate the kick in the butt here. I will push that task to the top of my list and start taking the 5 minutes to put it on when ripping.

John Miliunas
01-22-2004, 7:20 PM
Jeff, there are numerous flavors of splitters, but a pretty sure bet and low-cost or NO-cost is to make yourself a couple zero clearance inserts and incorporate a splitter into it. I used to do that a lot when I had my contractor saw and it worked pretty well. I also have an Excalibur overarm blade guard, so I definitely had to nix the stock guard. On my Bridgewood, I went ahead and bought the Biesemeyer splitter. It goes on/off so easy, I rarely ever catch myself not using it! The folks who make the "Gripper" are also coming out with a splitter, which if I understand correctly, will also work *with* the Gripper and make for a very safe and convenient "duo". Whatever you decide on, please, please use it! We like "hearing" from you here on the Forum and typing with a couple missing digits can be a real chore! :cool:

Jeff Skory
01-22-2004, 8:20 PM
Thanks for the support. And yes, I am determined to start using a splitter. I just finished reading an exhaustive search on splitters in this newsgroup. Quite a bit of info. The Biesemeyer seems to be the favorite so I will probably order one soon. I will also try the drillbit method with the zero-clearance insert I have. It is man-made material so some CA or epoxy should hold it in quite tight.