PDA

View Full Version : Brand new -in the box- I could not pass this up!

Brian Weick
07-21-2007, 11:15 AM
It was time to get into a new planer and I was looking for a very well built 15" planer and I thought I would check locally and I could not believe my eyes when I browsed through the add. A 220v jet 15" JPW-15cs 708529 planer that is selling for $1538.00 , the lowest price I found on the www was $1208.00 + shipping which brings it up past the $1500.00 range. :eek:
I thought it was a misprint- $779.00-----yes $779.00 , so I called and it was for real. , so I called someone I know over there that helped me in the past with a major tool purchase and told him to hold one and I would be there within a 1/2 hr - So I immediately drove over to "PBS" checked the planer out -it is definitely a professional piece of woodworking equipment- solid, all 500lbs of her. So I got it in my shop put her together and made some final exact adjustments- plugged her in and put some RC cherry - I was amazed at what a great job it did-with absolute ease- there was no change in the motor tone what so ever. The cut is true and incredibly accurate when you make some final adjustments, only aspect of the machine that is lacking is a micro guide on the front.
This deal is going on write now till the end of summer. I wasn't sure if I could list the seller because of the SMC rules and I do respect the rules on SMC. It is a beautifully piece of equipment and surprisingly, it was pretty quiet as far as noise is concerned. What a price, I couldn't go wrong! I believe they have a couple left –at that price they may sell out quick, I am just glad I was able to get one before they are gone. :D

"Gary Brewer"
07-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Brian: Great deal! Congratulations on the planer. How many horse power is the motor? Where in NY did you buy it?
Thanks,
Gary

Brian Weick
07-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Gary,
It is an unbelievable price- no doubt it is a 3hp 230v single phase motor. as far as the Location where I bought it- am I allowed to put that on my thread?

It was in Amherst NY -? if I Can post the store that is selling these, I would be more than happy to list !
:eek:

Kyle Kraft
07-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Brian,

That is a good deal. I have the same planer and am very pleased with the performance and quality.

Bruce Page
07-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Brain, you can post the vendor as long as you don't own the company, work there, etc.
Congrats on the planner. I have a PM15, I like it much better than my old lunchbox.

Edit: Added the word don’t - sorta important in this sentence…:o :o

Ps., you can include a link too.

Brian Weick
07-21-2007, 12:21 PM
I agree,but I wonder if there is a micro adjustment that I could attach to the front- 1/32",1/16", 1/8", 1/4" I have this on my ridgid planer and I like that feature but If I can't find something like this I can live with it- It is very accurate and I was told that it is all in the fine tuning in setting this up and he was write - I spent 2 hours meticulously adjusting the rollers and the table and I get absolutely true cuts with no snip and it is write on the money with the depth of the final cut- i am very,very, happy with this planer and would definitely recommend it to any serious woodworker.
Brian:D

Brian Weick
07-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Bruce,
No I don't work there but if anyones interested send me a PM or e-mail and I will reply.
that's what I thought about listing companies- I am just respecting the rules of SMC - :)
Brian

Matt Meiser
07-21-2007, 12:57 PM
I think Bruce meant to say as long as you don't own the company, work there, etc.

Bruce Page
07-21-2007, 1:01 PM
I think Bruce meant to say as long as you don't own the company, work there, etc.

Doh.....:o

Tom Veatch
07-21-2007, 1:18 PM
I agree,but I wonder if there is a micro adjustment that I could attach to the front- 1/32",1/16", 1/8", 1/4" ...

Recently, I ran across references to aftermarket Digital Readout devices (by "Wixey"?) that can be attached to various machines. I didn't pay a lot of attention, so I don't recall any details. But, you might try a search on some of the vendor sites, Rockler, Lee Valley, Woodworker's Supply, etc.

Brian Weick
07-21-2007, 2:54 PM
Recently, I ran across references to aftermarket Digital Readout devices (by "Wixey"?) that can be attached to various machines. I didn't pay a lot of attention, so I don't recall any details. But, you might try a search on some of the vendor sites, Rockler, Lee Valley, Woodworker's Supply, etc.

thank's tom- i will look into this
have a great day!

Jim Becker
07-21-2007, 3:22 PM
Brian, there is no problem posting a source, including a link, at SMC within the body of your post. Bruce's comments are spot on in that respect. You can even read the TOS and find that to be true!

Jim
SMC Moderator

BTW, nice haul!

Brian Weick
07-21-2007, 5:47 PM
Jim,
Thank you, I didn't want to do something that was not within the rules and regulations. You have a great weekend Jim!
Brian

Don Taylor
07-21-2007, 6:23 PM
Great Deal Brian! :eek:

You will love using that work horse. ;)

DT

Brian Weick
07-21-2007, 9:52 PM
It works effortlessly - I am amazed how nice that Planer is!
thanks Don- you have a great weekend :)
Brian

Tyler Howell
07-22-2007, 7:57 AM
#%^&*@!!! Where did you get it?????
Stop teasing me??:D :D
Thanks;)

Brian Weick
07-22-2007, 9:48 AM
No joke!
$779.00 and I have seen these going for as much as $1538.00 and the Lowest price was $1208.00 - and that was searching on the WWW. when I bought this 4 days ago there was 2 left, and I have already received a private message from another gentleman asking where to get this. I was told by Jim Becker that it was OK to list the retailer ,so I am putting the information on here for anyone interested.

http://www.philippsbros.com/ it is page 2 of there summer flyer left hand side you will see-$779.00 in bold font write next to the planer.

Hope everything works out for all interested, although there are not that many left. If for some reason they are all sold out, they have sales like this from time to time.:)

Brian

Brian Weick
07-23-2007, 8:56 AM
It was time to get into a new planer and I was looking for a very well built 15" planer and I thought I would check locally and I could not believe my eyes when I browsed through the add. A 220v jet 15" JPW-15cs 708529 planer that is selling for $1538.00 , the lowest price I found on the www was $1208.00 + shipping which brings it up past the $1500.00 range. :eek:
I thought it was a misprint- $779.00-----yes $779.00 , so I called and it was for real. , so I called someone I know over there that helped me in the past with a major tool purchase and told him to hold one and I would be there within a 1/2 hr - So I immediately drove over to "PBS" checked the planer out -it is definitely a professional piece of woodworking equipment- solid, all 500lbs of her. So I got it in my shop put her together and made some final exact adjustments- plugged her in and put some RC cherry - I was amazed at what a great job it did-with absolute ease- there was no change in the motor tone what so ever. The cut is true and incredibly accurate when you make some final adjustments, only aspect of the machine that is lacking is a micro guide on the front.
This deal is going on write now till the end of summer. I wasn't sure if I could list the seller because of the SMC rules and I do respect the rules on SMC. It is a beautifully piece of equipment and surprisingly, it was pretty quiet as far as noise is concerned. What a price, I couldn't go wrong! I believe they have a couple left –at that price they may sell out quick, I am just glad I was able to get one before they are gone. :D

Bad news,
I called PBS this morning and unfortunately - there are none left and they are not getting any more of the 15" 708529 - they were trying to clear them out for the new model 15" 708538 which has a new quick blade feature but is currently selling for around $1400 However I receive their mail flyer and e-mail notification and they may run another special this fall and i will post a message if they have a deal like that again- sorry for the bad news but you know that special started June 12th and runs through September 2nd and I was amazed that I was able to get one last week- you can go write to the www site http://www.philippsbros.com/ and check for yourself in September and see what sales they are running. They also have in store specials sometimes that you have to go in and if I am in there and find some real good special pricing I will keep you informed.
Happy turning :)

Tyler Howell
07-23-2007, 11:20 AM
That's a great price. Congrats on the gloat.
Thanks for the web sight.
TJH