PDA

View Full Version : Arrowmont Gloat

Walter Hickman
07-21-2007, 10:16 AM
:D I signed up yesterday for the Nick Cook week long turning class at Arrowmont. The one starting Aug. 5 - this year.:D

I have been lurking here for a long time and making attempts at adding a few round projects to my flat ones. Have done a few pens and a desk with turned legs for my now 38 year old daughter when she was 6 or 7. The pens were ok - the desk legs had a lot of room for improvement.

So I decided it was time for me to learn what I am doing and thought a good class would get me started.

Wish me good luck.

Pete Jordan
07-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Walter,

You are going to love this experience. He demoed at out club and he is a great teacher and a better guy.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
07-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Have fun Walter,

You are Going to Love Arrowmont. Aside from a class with a great turner you will also be surrounded by other students working in different aspects of a wide variety of creative arts, a very inspiring enviornment!:)

Chris Barton
07-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi Walter,

As the others have said, you will enjoy Arrowmont and Nick Cook is a great teacher. You will definitely enjoy his class. I don't know if you plan to sign up for all your meals on campus (their food is good, however, several people in my class this summer got sick from it including Alan Lacer) but, if not there are many places to eat within a 5 minute walk. Lately they have been starting the actual class time on Sunday evening after the general assembly and welcome. You can get a feel for several high-end lathes as well since they have some Oneways, PM3520b, PM4224, Vicmarks, Stubbys, and Woodtek lathes. If your new to turning I would suggest taking a really comfortable pair of shoes since you will be turning around 8-10 hours a day. Also, expect Gatlinburg (Redneck Alps) to be hot and crowded at this time of year.

Have Fun!

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2007, 2:06 PM
Walter - Welcome to the Creek! And, congrats on your upcoming Arrowmont class!! Take a bunch of pictures if you can - looking forward to hearing all about it once you get back!

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2007, 9:49 PM
Walter welcome to SMC. Congrats on your class. No better way to get started than to attend a great class with Nick Cook.

Scott Hurley
07-21-2007, 10:12 PM
If you have time, try to check out the Arts & Crafts Loop (I think they call it that). It's a lot of various artists, including some woodturners. You can get there by the local bus.

Scott

Tom Sherman
07-22-2007, 1:23 PM
Welcome to the turning forum Walter, good to have you posting. Congratulations on signing up for your first class, you will enjoy it.

Keith Burns
07-22-2007, 1:31 PM
Welcome to the Creek Walter !! I'm sure you will have a big time at Arrowmont. Great facilities and lost to see !!