PDA

View Full Version : first bowl, first post

chris brott
07-21-2007, 8:49 AM
hi everybody! my name is chris and i googled acrylic pen turning yesterday and came across freedom pens and in turn this forum. did some lurking and it looks like this is a great forum. anyways, i have a small shop with only a few tools (jet mini lathe, belt/disc sander, table saw, chop saw, band saw, drill press and a router table). i've turned about a dozen pens and 1 bowl. unfortunately, i'm having a problem uploading to zoomr right now, so i'll try and upload later and show you guys the pic of my bowl and maybe some pens too.
i'm just getting started and know next to nothing about woodworking. but i did find out about all the places sawdust can go when i blew my nose:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . i really enjoy turning, and loved every minute of turning that bowl. my youngest son (5) loves the bowl also, mostly because he likes to put it over his mouth and make funny noises with it. anyways, i look forward to chatting with you guys and sharing pics. like i said, i'll try and get those pics uploaded later today.

Keith Cope
07-21-2007, 8:53 AM
Hey Chris, welcome to the Creek! It's a great place to learn--I, like you, am a new turner and turn often (no pun intended) to the wealth of experience and advice in SMC. Enjoy!

Keith

Vince Welch
07-21-2007, 8:57 AM
Hello Chris!

Vince

Tom Sherman
07-21-2007, 9:05 AM
Chris Welcome to the Creek, you'll find lots of friendly folks and advice. We thrive on pictures, and actually have Picture Police here(no pictures it didn't happen) dive in the water is fine.

Tony De Masi
07-21-2007, 9:10 AM
Welcome to the Creek Chris. Lots of great info here and all levels of proficiency. You will really like it here.

Tony

chris brott
07-21-2007, 10:21 AM
i'm still experiencing technical difficulty with zooomr with uploading a bowl pic, but i did manage to upload a pic of a pen and pencil set i made for my wife. i used tulipwood and it was really easy to work with. really enjoyed making them and now she's not on my case about making these for her anymore!

http://zooomr.com/photos/22336@Z01/2742793/

chris brott
07-21-2007, 10:38 AM
now i'm having problems getting the pic posted on the thread!:mad: does anyone have any suggestions and is there a limit to the size of the pics? i searched the faq and didn't see anything that limited the size of pics. i also copied and pasted the url and the pic's not showing. anyways, i have work to do, i'll try again this evening. and thanks for the welcome guys:D

Patrick Taylor
07-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Welcome Chris! For pictures uploaded as "attachments" to SMC, there is a 107kb limit. If the photo is online already (like on flickr, etc) you can instead use the "insert image" button and paste in the url where the picture resides. Hope that helps!

As others have said, it's a great place to get and receive help and encouragement. :)

Brett Baldwin
07-21-2007, 1:43 PM
Welcome Chris, I'm sure you'll spend way too much time here picking up all the tidbits that are floating here in the Creek. Try to pace yourself.

chris brott
07-21-2007, 7:55 PM
http://static.zooomr.com/images/2746205_b11653f3cb.jpg?r=360

yeah! i was able to upload finally and now i got the pic here! anyways, here's the bowl i made. it's not the best in the world (duh), but it'll still be good for putting stuff in.

http://static.zooomr.com/images/2746230_11948b3001.jpg?r=90

here's a pen i made for a friend of mine. it's a dymondwood - painted desert.

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2007, 9:45 PM
Welcome Chris to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

Mike A. Smith
07-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Congrats on the first bowl Chris and welcome to SMC!

Jim Becker
07-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Welcome, Chris. And congrats on your first bowl...the first of about a million given the "vortex" at work!

For a tutorial on how to upload pictures to SMC, there is a "sticky" post at the top of the Support Forum with complete instructions. It's best to actually upload to SMC rather than link to pictures at another site. Linking often causes loss of content when that remote site goes away for whatever reason.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Gary Herrmann
07-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Chris. Nice job on that bowl and on the pen.

Keith Burns
07-22-2007, 1:34 PM
Welcome to the Creek Chris !! There is more information and support here than any of us deserve. Have fun and post lots of pics.

Steve Schlumpf
07-22-2007, 8:39 PM
Chris - Welcome to the Creek! Hang on to that first bowl - it's the only one you'll ever get! Nice work by the way! Looking forward to seeing more of your turnings!

Paul Engle
07-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Welcome Chris, there is lots to do and see here. Getting your pics to turn out may well be tougher than turning a bowl sometime but keep at it your first post looked pretty good I like the stripe(ing) on the pen .

chris brott
07-23-2007, 6:19 PM
Welcome Chris, there is lots to do and see here. Getting your pics to turn out may well be tougher than turning a bowl sometime but keep at it your first post looked pretty good I like the stripe(ing) on the pen .

the pen is made from a dymondwood blank. basically it's a laminate and VERY EASY to blow out, not just with turning, but also when drilling it. but,they are beautiful when you get it right

Joseph Peacock
07-23-2007, 9:02 PM
Welcom to the Creek Mr.Chris!!!!!!:D ;) :cool: