PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Adapter?

Jim Stoppleworth
07-21-2007, 4:45 AM
My old lathe was a 1"x 8TPI spindle. My new lathe is a 1 1/4X 8TPI spindle. CSUSA sells a spindle adapter for $60. It would be nice to use my old facplates and and a couple of screw chucks(especially the bottle stopper chuck.) Is anyone using an adapter like this? Are there any problems?

Jim

Leo Pashea
07-21-2007, 6:20 AM
Many turners use spindle adaptors for the reason(s) you state. On occasion, you will hear of slight runout issues with some adaptors that are not machined well, but that is not the norm. Any well machined adaptor purchased from a reputable vendor should be fine, and will be replaced with another if it isn't. I know of a local turner that uses spindle adaptors for more clearance from the headstock on his lathe to the work piece.

Dale Bright
07-21-2007, 7:29 AM
My old lathe was a 1"x 8TPI spindle. My new lathe is a 1 1/4X 8TPI spindle. CSUSA sells a spindle adapter for $60. It would be nice to use my old facplates and and a couple of screw chucks(especially the bottle stopper chuck.) Is anyone using an adapter like this? Are there any problems?

Jim,

PSI has the same type of adapters for a lot less money. I have been told they are of good quality and run true. The size you are looking for is around $20.00. I will be buying one soon because I will be getting my new lathe around Aug 1st.

Dale

Chris Barton
07-21-2007, 7:32 AM
I second what Dale says about the PSI adapters. I have one of the exact type you want (1x8 to 1 1/4x8) and it works just fine.

Jim Stoppleworth
07-21-2007, 9:14 AM
$60 to $20 is a big difference. I'll have to call PSI, it lists 1 1/4 X 8TPI Converter but it doesn't say to what size it is converting. I'm glad to hear others are using them successfully.

Jim

Jim Becker
07-21-2007, 11:28 AM
They can be quite useful to help you re-utilize some fixed threading accessories...but be sure the one you get is machined true so you don't have wobble or excessive run-out.

Dale Bright
07-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Jim,

The PSI item number you are looking for is: #LA11418.

It converts 1 1/4X 8tpi head stock to 1X8tpi accessories. The price is $19.95.

Jim Stoppleworth
07-27-2007, 4:34 AM
My new spindle adapter arrived yesterday. Mounted with a bottle stopper screw chuck the micrometer shows a runout of .006. I'm not a machinist and am only concerned that this will not affect turnings. Is this amount of runout acceptable?

Before I mount the blank I can see the runout shadow and feel the runout. I mounted a stopper blank, turned it to a cylinder and it seems to be running true.