PDA

View Full Version : Modified european pens

Patrick Taylor
07-21-2007, 1:46 AM
I replaced the centerband in each of these with ash. These pens are leopardwood and wenge, finished with CA/BLO. Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1391/862191115_be39d9ab6c_d.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1291/862190685_4b0e089605_d.jpg

Dale Bright
07-21-2007, 7:34 AM
Nicely done, Patrick. I really like the center bands.

Tom Sherman
07-21-2007, 8:46 AM
Very nice pens Patrick.

Chris Barton
07-21-2007, 8:57 AM
Very nice Patrick! Pens are a never ending source of pleasure to turn on the lathe.

Tony De Masi
07-21-2007, 9:12 AM
Very nice Pat. Keep em coming.

Tony

Curt Fuller
07-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Those are really nice. I wouldn't mind hearing how you did the ash ring. It really makes them look more 'woody'.

Phillip H Smith
07-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Patrick...

Nice job!

I tried to do the same thing with a few European pens, but I didn't like the way they came out.

The wood looked fine....but what I found is that there's a bit of "slop" in the twist mechanisms, such that when you twist to extend the refill a small gap appears between the bottom of the center band and the pen bottom. Because the metal center bands generally overlap a bit onto the pen bottom, that small gap doesn't show.

Maybe I need to try European kits from another vendor. Where did you get these kits?

Patrick Taylor
07-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Those are really nice. I wouldn't mind hearing how you did the ash ring. It really makes them look more 'woody'.

Patrick...

I tried to do the same thing with a few European pens, but I didn't like the way they came out.

The wood looked fine....but what I found is that there's a bit of "slop" in the twist mechanisms, such that when you twist to extend the refill a small gap appears between the bottom of the center band and the pen bottom. Because the metal center bands generally overlap a bit onto the pen bottom, that small gap doesn't show.

Maybe I need to try European kits from another vendor. Where did you get these kits?

Thanks everyone. I think I can answer both questions together. Curt, my method for these is to cut a slice of wood for the center ring, and drill a 1/4" hole (7 mm would be too big because there's no tube inside) that will just fit over the twist mechanism. I turn the upper tube, band, and lower tube together on the mandrel with no bushings, then finish as usual. It assembles just like a slimline (you can do this same center band replacement with that kit too).

Steve, since the band is not attached to either tube, the trick to no gap is to use the pen mill to get very flat surfaces on the ends of the band before turning it. It will mount a bit funny on the mandrel at first, but after turning away the outer junk you can tighten up the mandrel and it's all flush.

As for overlapping, this one does not overlap like a european, it has a loose centerband like a slimline. The kit is the woodcraft european kit (which usually overlaps) but I'm only using the tubes, nib, and finial/clip assembly.

This could be done better I think by gluing-up the band and upper blank before gluing in the tube, so the band is really part of the upper blank. That would put tube inside the band and give a better fit IMO. Even so, if you're careful this works too.

Rich Souchek
07-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Patrick,
I like your pens and think they are a real step up from the regular pens. Especially your choice of woods.
I noticed one thing that might be another step on your pens because I made a screw-up pen from a European with the short tube turned for the bottom piece. then the centerband tenon was forgotten. Put the pen together and really like it but the straight lines of the barrels make it seem like something is missing.
I believe curved lines help things look better and want to try another European without the centerband but with a nice smooth curve with maximum diameter beneath the clip somewhere. Think it will make the pen look better, and think also this might help the pens you showed above.
If you do another one with more fullness would you post it also?
Rich s.

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Well done Patrick. I really like the wood center bands. I have did a couple like that and it really sets them off.

Mike A. Smith
07-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Very nice Patrick and a cool idea! What you've done is very similar to a KC Twist kit, they have one extended tube and no center band. But I really like the wooden band, this should also allow you to have full control of the diameter. Again very, very nice!

Patrick Taylor
07-22-2007, 12:18 AM
I believe curved lines help things look better and want to try another European without the centerband but with a nice smooth curve with maximum diameter beneath the clip somewhere. Think it will make the pen look better, and think also this might help the pens you showed above.
If you do another one with more fullness would you post it also?
Rich s.

Actually, the camera angle doesn't show it but there's a fair amount of curve to these pens. The widest point is at the centerband, which I like asthetically, especially since the top tube is a little shorter than the bottom one. For my taste, I think the widest point should be at the centerband. If you do something similar or a variation, I'd like to see the photos.

this should also allow you to have full control of the diameter.

That's right. I really like turning a pen with no bushings anywhere in the middle. You can really see where the curves are and how they work together.

Thanks again. :)