PDA

View Full Version : Electronic types? Door Chime type circuit?

Brent Dowell
07-21-2007, 12:54 AM
So, I've dabbled with electronics every now and then, and am pretty comfortable getting little bits and stuff from either Radio Shack or Fry's to build things.

Here's what I need. I've got a really long driveway, and just picked up a little driveway reporter thingy that will sound a buzzer in the house when something crosses the path of the beam about 200' away.

Unfortunately, the buzzer is a little quiet, and I'd like to have something a little louder/interesting.

This gizmo has a relay on it you can use to trigger other things, and it's capable of 120 volts and 10amps.

Does anybody have any interesting suggestions for either a DIY circuit or something more interesting than the normal doorbell?

Thanks!

BD

Mitchell Andrus
07-21-2007, 9:59 AM
There are flashing lights available for the deaf. In a noisy shop this might be a better choice than a louder bell. Also, It'll keep the neigbors happy.

Brent Dowell
07-21-2007, 8:51 PM
First closest neighbors are about a football field away.

Second Closest, 1/4 mile.

Driveway is about 300 feet long, but I don't watch it all the time.

I do like the flashing light idea for the shop.

I did find an electronic doorbell for about 49.95 that will let you program in any tune you like, as well a few select sound effects. That might be the quickest and easiest way to cope.

Gotta know when Brown is coming up the drive with presents from the On-Line world!