PDA

View Full Version : Questions re customs clearance of Chinese Lasers

Jacqui Marlin
07-21-2007, 12:15 AM
My laser is in port in Honolulu. I am here in Hilo on a different island. And I am having lots of difficulty solving the problem of clearing customs from a distance. Two major questions come up and if anyone has received a machine out of China perhaps you will have answers.

Customs agent told me he can not find a classification for a laser engraver so I am wondering if anyone has copies of his paperwork with the classification that was used when clearing customs. Obviously machines come into the country so it is just a matter of sorting out how it is classified.

The other question has been raised before and again there is conflicting information. That is the FDA registration number for approving the laser. I have been told it could be up to the clearance agent how it is handled. They can just ignore that it is a laser and allow it in, or they can require lots of paperwork and long delay. What experience has anyone had in getting this approval? Again, they come into the country so it is approved, just need the info and documentation requirements.

I am really hopeful that people here will be able to give me some answers so I can get my new toy to Hilo and get it up and running! Very anxious here.

Joe Pelonio
07-21-2007, 2:15 PM
I don't know if this is any help, or it's too late, but I was discussing this with someone yesterday who may be importing them in large quantities. To sell them here he will need to have certification of it being a Class IIIa laser that
complies with 21 CFR 1040.10 & EN 60825-1 (See links)

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfCFR/CFRSearch.cfm?FR=1040.10 http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/ocer/guidance/1346.html (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfCFR/CFRSearch.cfm?FR=1040.10)

There is also an FCC requirement having to do with radio interference. These things should be documented on the box to allow them to get through customs.

Jacqui Marlin
07-21-2007, 3:47 PM
I think this will be most helpful and I very much appreciate the links. I have saved the file and will take it with me just in case! There is NO guarantee the agents here have a clue about anything! It does look like I might have to clear customs myself though, just in case problems and questions come up. Coming with info is my best resource! Thank you very much.

Bob Keyes
07-21-2007, 5:34 PM
I cannot help you. I brought one into the states about 18 months ago, but I used a freight forwarding agent. I just looked on the papers and it says nothing about a laser. It is listed as an engraving machine from China.

Sorry!

James MacNab
07-21-2007, 6:43 PM
Hi all,
If this is any help. I received my laser in January of this year and the description said laser engraving machine. Then they released it. After I got the machine home for a couple of days I received a letter from the United States Food and Drug Administration asking me what the machine was going to be used for. I just told them I was going to etch pictures on tile and marble ect. and that was the end of it. Good luck.

Neal Schlee
07-22-2007, 2:05 PM
Might be worth contacting a Customs Broker. These companies work with customs on a daily basis, for a fee of course.

Neal

Roy Brewer
07-24-2007, 1:33 AM
I am really hopeful that people here will be able to give me some answers so I can get my new toy to Hilo and get it up and running! Very anxious here.Jacqui,
I hate to sound like sour grapes & I told you so but isn't that the job of the distributor?