PDA

View Full Version : Need help with half blind template sizing...

Matt Benton
07-20-2007, 11:24 PM
I've constructed a halfblind jig that cuts both boards simutaneously on the router table, but am having trouble figuring out the widths for the pins of the template, and the space needed between each.

I'm using a 1/2", 14 degree bit with a 3/4" OD guide bearing. The drawer front is 3/4" and the side is 1/2".

Any ideas on template sizing to make this work?

Thanks.

John Lucas
07-21-2007, 3:10 AM
I've constructed a halfblind jig that cuts both boards simutaneously on the router table, but am having trouble figuring out the widths for the pins of the template, and the space needed between each.

I'm using a 1/2", 14 degree bit with a 3/4" OD guide bearing. The drawer front is 3/4" and the side is 1/2".

Any ideas on template sizing to make this work?

Thanks.

Matt, it seems to me that you have NOT yet constructed the jig. The spacing is always the hard part. Do you have a plan for the jig? Have you looked at other jigs with the same bit and guide bushing? That is what you will need to make your template.
Post pictures of what you have made so far.

Matt Benton
07-21-2007, 9:41 AM
John,

Here are a few pics I just took. I know the alignment of the tail board is off, that's easily remedied.

I know making the template pins narrower will bring things together, but I thought their might be a guide or chart of some sort indicating the exact size I would need given the inputs.

Thanks again.

John Lucas
07-21-2007, 9:58 AM
You might find that the Stots Dovetail Master would be a great investment ($50) It will give you a template to build yur template from.

It is easier for me to imagine a fixed semi-blind template where the spacing is equal across t he side. If you space them on centers based on your bearing, you should have a template that will work.
Making through DTs may be better. You can simply place the side piece on your jig and route DTs wherever you want. Then use the cut sides (both at once), you can use it as a template for scribing a pencil line and use a staraight bit to cut out.
It is very difficult to dscribe these things. Doing and experimenting much easier. Get the Stots and maybe get a copy of the Incra instruction book
http://incra.biz/Products/MasterReferenceGuide.html ... that is the basis of the Incra system.

Matt Benton
07-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks, John.

One other question, am I going to have difficulty with the fact that the bearing is 3/4" and the bit width is 1/2". I keep thinking that's contributing to the problem.

Thanks!