PDA

View Full Version : Wood Suppliers in western PA

James O'Mara
03-02-2003, 10:28 AM
I have been trying to locate a supplier of figured and exotic woods in Western PA for some time and have had no luck. Heck for that matter I can't even find any KD hard maple to use for a workbench. I live about an hour north of Pittsburgh but am willing to drive a couple of hours, does anybody know of anything? I would prefer to be able to visit so that I can pick the boards I want myself rather than have it shipped to me. Also regarding pricing, for 4/4 FAS KD red or white oak I have been seing $2.00 - $2.50 per BF. Same type of Cherry is $3.00 - $3.45, how are these prices? Thanks.

Jimmy

Mike Cunningham
03-02-2003, 1:47 PM
Since I've moved to south Jersey I no longer have the telephone numbers but you can obtain them easy enough. Try, Woodcrafters (Not Woodcraft) on Rt 19 north near West View. Sutherland Hardwoods in Burgettstown located off of Rt 22 west of Pittsburgh International Airport, darn near in Ohio. Forest County Wood Products off of Rt 62 north of Tionesta and south of Tidioute in Little Hickory, Pa in the 814 area code. There's also a hardwood supplier in Cranberry but the name escapes me. As well, there are several mills around Mercer whose names are no longer in my memory banks. Some telephone book searches as well as talking to the people at Woodcrafters will most definitely put you onto some wood. Cherry grows like a weed in Pa, that entire northwestern quadrant is rife with it.......one of the things I now miss.

Mike Cunningham
03-02-2003, 1:51 PM
Here's Sutherlands Number, also they'll send or fax a price list to you. I bought a lot of FAS and #1 cherry from them over the years, good people, good products. 724-947-3388.

Mike Cunningham
03-02-2003, 1:58 PM
Haha, your question has jogged my old memory bank. The place in Cranberry is called Seneca Hardwoods, up near the junction of 19 and I-79. Hope this helps, I have to take a nap now.....

James O'Mara
03-02-2003, 2:20 PM
Mike, Thanks for the names. I talked to the guys at Senecca Hardwoods on Friday and was shocked to find out that they had no hard maple. They have something like 15 acres of milled and stacked lumber, yet no hard maple at all. I need a bunch of 8/4 to build a workbench top out of and can't find any.

Wood prices have jumped considerably in the area since they built a huge veneer plant just outside of Mercer. Most of the good big logs go straight there. They are processing somewhere around 30 tractor trailer loads of logs per day. Because of the increase in demand we have seen definite jumps in our wood prices from the local mills.

I will check out Forest County Wood Products and Sutherlands tomorrow. Woodcrafters is also on my short list of places that I need to visit. Thanks for the help.

Jimmy

James O'Mara
03-02-2003, 2:23 PM
BTW - Senecca hardwoods is about 10 miles east of Franklin, PA. in Cranberry. Cranberry Twp. is by 79 and 19. Just thought I might jog the memory a little more for you.

Jimmy

Mike Cunningham
03-02-2003, 3:06 PM
Yup, and you can deal with them through their office at:
Seneca Hardwood Lumber Co.
RD#1 Box 13-B
Cranberry, PA 16319
Manufacterer of specialty solid hardwood products, including flooring, molding and surface-four-sides stock. Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar (inquire about other species). Great prices. Call for catalog.

Mike Cunningham
03-02-2003, 3:15 PM
Jim, check your telephone book, seems to me that there's a hardwood supplier in the "other" Cranberry, the one located at 19 and 79. When I originally mentioned Seneca, I confused it with this particular Cranberry, not the one up by Franklin, that the mall is named after. In other words, Seneca is in Cranberry near Franklin and I seem to recall another hardwood supplier in Cranberry near 79 and 19......confusion reigns!

James O'Mara
03-02-2003, 3:52 PM
Yeah, I thought you were a little confused, I didn't do much good in clearing it up for you though. The "Cranberry" by 79 is Cranberry Township. It would be awesome if there was something near Cranberry Twp. as my wife and I are moving out of our house in about an hour so that the construction company can start an addition tomorrow morning. We will be living in my parents home, they live in Florida during the winter, and it just happens to be in Cranberry Twp. Thus for the next 6 weeks I will be away from my equipment except for maybe a few hours on weekends. I have been thinking that it would be great to spend some time hunting wood, as long as I can't be woodworking.

By the way if you haven't been around for awhile you would be absolutely amazed by the growth that Cranberry Twp. has experienced. The area is starting to resemble Monroeville it is getting so built up.

Bill Spero
02-26-2004, 10:21 PM
I have been trying to locate a supplier of figured and exotic woods in Western PA for some time and have had no luck. Heck for that matter I can't even find any KD hard maple to use for a workbench. I live about an hour north of Pittsburgh but am willing to drive a couple of hours, does anybody know of anything? I would prefer to be able to visit so that I can pick the boards I want myself rather than have it shipped to me. Also regarding pricing, for 4/4 FAS KD red or white oak I have been seing $2.00 - $2.50 per BF. Same type of Cherry is $3.00 - $3.45, how are these prices? Thanks.

Jimmy

Jim, I'm new here but when I saw your question about maple in western Pa. It made me think. There is a good place in Mars, Pa. Mars Lumber Inc. 1084 Mars-Evans City Rd. Mars, PA 16046, Phone: 724-625-2224.

I bought some maple from them for a project for the past Christmas.

Good Luck
Bill

Terry Stapleton
02-27-2004, 5:40 AM
According to WoodFinder (http://www.wdfinder.com/) , there is a place in Grove City. Timber Trails, 724-738-0654. I haven't been there yet, so I don't know anything about it.

If you want to drive a little farther, try West Penn Hardwoods (http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/) in Olean. It is worth a trip just to see the beautiful figured woods in stock.

Lee Schierer
02-27-2004, 8:05 AM
I buy most of my wood from Summit Hardwoods in Summit Township. They are located about 4 miles south of I-90 on Rt. 97. Their phone number is 814 796 2695. They stock all kiln dried lumber. They have maple as well as others. Their wood is all kiln dried and finished four sides to dimensional sizes. They sell only prime stuff, no knots, checks or cracks. Their business is mostly the building trade.

Or call Shetler Lumber 814 796 0303 just south of Waterford PA on Route 6N. They have a good selection of hardwood, kiln dried mostly.

There is also Spartansburg Lumber 814 654 7400. They are an Amish run business. I think most of their wood is air dried, though they may have a kiln as well. They specialize in hardwood lumber. They are located in Spartansburg PA, just south of Union CIty PA.

Lee

Charles McKinley
02-28-2004, 1:55 PM
Hi Jim,

Try calling Hickman Lumber in Emlenton, PA. Here is the link [url]www.hickmanlumber.com. Dennis is the person you would need to talk to.

Contact Dennis Hickman
at Hickman Lumber 1-800-867-9441
(local 724-867-9441) or
you may email them at the following addresses.

dhickman@hickmanwoods.com

No affiliation I just live near there.