PDA

View Full Version : I will be a college student this fall?

Charles Jackson III
07-20-2007, 8:53 PM
I am will be attending my local technical college this fall and my major is going to be building construction technology, now I can gain carpentry and cabinetmaking skills and the teacher is a fromer carpentry and cabinetmaker. I am so glad I will be learning a lot.

Jim Becker
07-20-2007, 9:54 PM
That's really great, Charles! It sounds like you have a nice handle on what you want to do and are planning accordingly. Not everyone is able to do that. I hope you'll post from time to time about what you are learning, too. Best wishes and congratulations on this next step in your life!

Doyle Alley
07-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Do you ever plan on working for yourself? If so, take at least some basic business courses. It won't make you an expert but it will at least give you an idea of some of the basics behind accounting, business law, risk management (insurance), etc. A large number of self employed craftsmen fail not because they aren't capable craftsmen but because they don't have the non-craft skills necessary to stay in business. Having a little knowledge going in will at least enable you to ask the right questions of the experts you have to occasionally use.

Jim Becker
07-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I happen to like Doyle's advise...a lot. In an ideal world, the "trade" oriented schools should teach and even require basic business skills as part of the curriculum. Unfortunately, many just focus on the craft, not the business of the craft. If your school offers such course, by all means take them! It could have a substantial benefit to your career later on!

Charles Jackson III
07-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Ya I would like to one day.