PDA

View Full Version : Installing cabinets in log house

David Duke
07-20-2007, 8:09 PM
Although I've built and installed several sets of cabinets over the years I've never installed any in a log house. Is there anything I need to be aware of other than cutom fitting the endcaps on the exposed ends?

As always............Thanks in advance.

Dave Sabo
07-20-2007, 8:46 PM
Yes, the logs will settle. If you attach the cabinets to the logs w/o provision for this they will compress and cause major headaches. The easiest is to attach with a slot cut for the fastners to travel in. You could also build a plywood wall that allows for the setteling and attach cabs to it. Too much stuff to cover in a forum post. Get book or video on log houses or find some one who's done one or 10 to show you.

Jim O'Dell
07-20-2007, 8:51 PM
I have watched a few shows on Hometime about log houses. Does that qualify me??:D You have to make allowances for the logs shrinking. I understand it is in inches!! What they showed was mounting plywood with screws in slots so that as the logs shrink, the screws slide in the slots. The cabinets mount to the plywood. Otherwise the cabinets get crushed in a short time. Same thing for trim on doors, only they get mounted in slots (mortises?) in the logs so that the logs slide down the wood. It all looked easy to do, but a disaster waiting to happen you you failed to allow for the shrinkage. You might be able to go to the Hometime web site and find some information. They have built 2 entire homes on the shows over the years, and as I remember, were fairly detailed in how the did cabinets. Jim.

David Duke
07-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks Jim, went to Hometime's site, while not extremely detailed they described pretty well what they did to allow for shrinkage.......pretty simple and straightforward.

Steve Clardy
07-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I've done that twice.
What a headache. Be sure to charge installation time by the hour.

Install 2x's vertically. Attach solid at bottom. Slot all of rest of the mounting holes. Use lag bolts.

All the vertical 2x's have to be shimmed out level/plumb with each other.

Cover all 2x's with 1/2 or 3/4 ply.

Now you have a smooth straight surface to mount all your cabinets.

Note::::: All your end, exposed cabinets, Overhang your face frames 3/4".
Then fabricate finished end panels, making them 3-4" wider than normal.

Install cabinets. Scribe and fit end panels to the log walls. Attach to cabinet ends from inside the cabinet.

Any questions, just holler.