PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot Camp September 8, 2007 Troy, VA

Ed Lang
07-20-2007, 1:52 PM
I will be hosting a Camp ShopBot on September 8, 2007 in Troy, VA. If you have interest in the ShopBot CNC or have one, and wish to attend, let me know via email so there will be handouts, chairs and food for you.

This will be a one day camp.

More information will follow.

Visit the ShopBot Forum where details will be posted as well as here.

Keith Outten
07-20-2007, 9:43 PM
Ed,

I will be there and I think Aaron Koehl is also planning to attend. I will contact you later with more information concerning our plans for sign demonstrations and door prizes.

:)

Tom Buzz Bernard
07-23-2007, 8:36 AM
Hi Ed,
Would love to attend your shopbot camp, but that is the same weekend as the Indianapolis Trade Show. Please let me know about the next one or if one is down in my neck of the woods. I would like to learn more!

Mike Null
07-23-2007, 9:14 AM
Tom

Will make it a point to visit your exhibit this year.

For those who might like to attend the show Tom is referring to you can get more info here.

http://www.nbmshows.com/g5in/index.html

Aaron Koehl
07-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Ed,

Sounds great! Yes, I plan on attending.

Ed Lang
08-11-2007, 8:06 PM
ShopBot Camp update: The Shop will be open Friday, September 7, if anyone is coming to town early and would like to have a very informal get-together/discussion/setting-up chairs/moving equipment, etc. There will be time to run the machine if anyone would like to do so.

The schedule for Saturday, September 8, will be as relaxed and flexible as possible. There will be folks from ShopBot as well as Centurion Tools speaking and available for questions. Centurion Tools will have tooling with them and later in the day a field trip to their facility in the Louisa Industrial Air Park will give you an opportunity to see just how sophisticated the process to create a solid carbide cutter has become.

We will also have Keith Outten, the founder of Saw Mill Creek (www.sawmillcreek.org (http://www.sawmillcreek.org)), to share with you how to take a $3 can of spray paint and make several hundred dollars with it.

Lunch will be provided as long as you have emailed me so that I will have a headcount to work from.

For those new to a ShopBot Camp, there is no charge to attend or for food at the Camp.

There will be a Show and Tell table for any projects that you wish to share. I encourage you to tell the group a little about how you made it. Remember, we all can learn something from the smallest project and no one will force you to get up in front of a group and speak. So please bring pictures, either printed or digital, and/or one or more of your projects for us all to see. We will have a laptop and projector available.

Door prizes will be given away throughout the day, and yes, you have to be present to win!

One special note: this weekend happens to be a UVA vs Duke football game at UVA, so come out and cheer while the Cavaliers stomp the Blue Devils… sorry ShopBot.

Okay –here’s a list of some places to contact for lodging:

Best Western @ Zion Crossroads (3 mi from Shop) 540-832-1700
Comfort Inn – Monticello 434-977-3300
Courtyard by Marriott -Charlottesville North 434-973-7100
Days Inn –University 434-293-9111
Super 8 –Charlottesville 434-973-0888
Econolodge –University Arena 434-296-2104
Quality Inn –Charlottesville 434-971-3746
Red Carpet Inn –Charlottesville 434-973-8133
Holiday Inn 434-977-7700

If you happen to be arriving in a Motorhome or Camper, you are welcome to stay on our property, I just don’t have full hookup for you.

Feel free to call me at the Shop anytime at 434-296-3993

Ed

Jim Kountz
08-18-2007, 9:21 AM
Ed, I sure hate I have to miss this event since internet wise you are in my backyard practically. Im just about 20 minutes outside of Winchester, VA. I have a music gig that day and cannot attend the camp. I was looking forward to seeing a Bot in person and all it can do. *sigh*

I hope the camp goes well and Id love to hear some reports here from those that do make it!

Thanks,

Jim

Ed Lang
08-20-2007, 8:25 AM
Jim, and others....

We can get together some other time. Just call ahead and make sure I will be here and we can run the machine.

ed

Mike Kelly
08-28-2007, 8:56 PM
Good luck with the Camp next week Ed. I hope everyone close by gets a chance to attend. I can't get enough of them!

I notice you are using VCarve Pro 3.1. If you have had it less than a year you might want to upgrade to 4.0. Some of the improvements are really good.

Ed Lang
09-09-2007, 9:20 AM
I wanted to take a moment to say "Thank You" to everyone who attended and also visit the Creek.

Since I didn't take the first picture, I hope Keith or someone else who did will at least post one shot to show those who didn't get to come will see what went on.

Thanks again and I look forward to next year!

ed

Keith Outten
09-09-2007, 9:30 AM
We had a great time Ed and thanks for hosting an excellent ShopBot Camp. Since my camera refused to work yesterday Aaron was in charge of taking photos. Aaron is on a walkabout with his new bride, as soon as he returns I will get the pictures and post them.

Thanks Again :)

Scott Shepherd
09-09-2007, 9:22 PM
Thanks for everything Ed! Really enjoyed meeting the people I met. Keith and Aaron where both there and got to spend some time talking to them. Both super nice people willing to offer up anything they could to help.

I don't have a ShopBot (or a place to put one), but it was interesting in seeing what it can do and how people are using them. It's really had my brain working overtime this weekend just thinking of things you could do with it. Ed has a super sweet setup at his place and had some really nice work.

Just a really enjoyable day with some really nice folks. Wish those types of things happened more often, whether it's ShopBot or not. We had to leave early so we probably missed some more good stuff, but both my Dad and myself are thankful to Ed for putting on a great camp and allowing us to come visit.

Thanks Ed! And thanks Keith for your presentation. Great ideas!

Keith Outten
09-10-2007, 6:28 AM
Scott,

It was great meeting you and your Dad and I hope you will consider attending the ShopBot Camp in November at Kitty Hawk NC. Provided my schedule remains reasonable I will be there with something new to share :)