PDA

View Full Version : First furniture piece in over 20 years...

Don Bullock
07-20-2007, 12:33 PM
It's finally done! No, I didn't spend the last twenty years making the table. Actually, except for the sanding and finishing the table was made in a three day class that I took at the WoodCraft store in Stanton, California (thanks to Ron Higgins for the excellent class). I used to make furniture, but got away from it due to many reasons. Since I'm close to retirement (one more year in the classroom) I decided to try making furniture again. The table is my first project and I had a blast making it.

Yes, I realize that it is a very simple project to many here, but I've built more than a table. The project improved my skills, knowledge and confidence. It got me going again. For me that's priceless.

We got a choice of cherry or oak for the table. I chose cherry. Once I made that choice the rest of the decisions on the wood were up to chance. Before we got started the instructor of the class handed each of us the wood we needed from a cart. The following pictures show the results.
As you can see, the table is a basic Shaker design that many people have made over the years. It's a good "beginner" project. The rails are attached with mortise and tenon construction.The finish is BLO (thanks to Jim Becker and others for the help on that) with lacquer (thanks to Nancy Laird for the information).
A closer picture showing the front with a full width drawer. I would like to have had a "better" piece here, but I didn't have much choice. This was the "best" grain pattern on the board and I also had to work around a bad knot.
We didn't get into dovetails as you can see here. The joinery for the drawer was rabbetted tongue-and-grove. I added the cherry Miller dowels at home to give the drawer sides a little accent.
I was very happy with the wood I got for the top. The wood has some "character" and a little curl in the grain pattern. In fact, the instructor wanted to swap it for one that he had at home.
This is the table in our dining room. The cherry chair is part of our dining set that we bought a couple of years ago. The table in that set replaced a trestle table that I made when we were married. The new table helped to inspire me to start making furniture again. NOTE: Yes, we collect basset hound figurines. All the pictures on the table, the painting on the lamp and the one above the lamp are of our first AKC Champion, CH. Shoefly's Bud Light.

Well, I hope I haven't bored you too much, but I'm excited. My plans for the next table are well under way. I bought the curly cherry for it this week and am finishing up my design based on the wood that I bought. The new table will be more in the Greene & Greene style with breadboard ends. I hope to get started on it soon. First I have to finish up my mantle project (pics soon) and do some other woodworking projects.

I'd like to thank all who have been helpful and supportive as I've gotten back into the hobby. Hopefully my next project won't take as long.;)

Ryan Bess
07-20-2007, 1:14 PM
I love the classic Shaker lines and the natural finish. You've done a great job!

Greg Cole
07-20-2007, 3:59 PM
Don,
I like the grain match on the drawer to the bottom rail. Nice touch. Cherry is a nice wood to work with.
Congrats on the re-entry to actual fabrication and construction.
Seems as the tools you've been stocking up on are going to be put to good use from here on out...

Cheers,
Greg

Tom Cowie
07-20-2007, 4:02 PM
Great table Don,

The finish really brings it out. Great job on the pix's too

Tom

Now don't let another twenty go by. Let's see some more of that fine work. :)

Alan Tolchinsky
07-20-2007, 4:16 PM
Nice job Don. That looks like the table I built at Woodcraft years ago minus the drawer. I could see how building that would get the juices flowing again. Looking forward to seeing more from you. Alan

Evan Stockton
07-20-2007, 4:16 PM
Don, the table looks great!

I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind humoring me with a bit more info regarding the class you spoke of? Was this taken at a local college? You mention getting out of the classroom, so I take it you took a class at the school for which you teach?

Are you (or anyone, for that matter) familiar with a resource that could tell me where in the nation similar classes are held? I'm in New York City, and I can't imagine woodworking classes are held at any of the colleges here (although I am willing to be pleasantly surprised if there are)...

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and great job...Thanks for reading, and can't wait to see your other projects!

Best,

Evan

Pat Germain
07-20-2007, 5:16 PM
Nothing wrong with that project, Don. Although it looks like a simple table, we know that such a nice piece of furniture can't be cobbled together by John Q. Biscuit with a framing saw and a hammer. (Which is what many people mistakenly believe.)

FYI, I have Norm's first NYW book and it includes a table very similar. However, Norm's example has "breadboard" edges and a dovetailed drawer. It might be worth considering Norm's example if you make another table and want to challenge yourself a little more. :)

Don Bullock
07-20-2007, 5:27 PM
..I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind humoring me with a bit more info regarding the class you spoke of? Was this taken at a local college? You mention getting out of the classroom, so I take it you took a class at the school for which you teach?..
Best,

Evan

Thanks for the comments Evan. The class I took was a three day class offered at my "local" WoodCraft store (spent an average of 5 hours each day in "rush hour" traffic. We had the class three Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. - 5 p.m. The store has a small "classroom" as part of the store and they offer classes on many aspects of woodworking. I took was a class called "Introduction to Furniture."

As for me, I'm an elementary school teacher. I've been teaching for 36 years. Just one more year left before retirement and I can have a lot more time to devote to things that I enjoy doing like woodworking.

John Timberlake
07-20-2007, 6:46 PM
Great job, Don. Classes are a great way to learn new things or get back into old habits. Looks like you have not lost a step in your furniture building. Be careful, it is habit forming. Looking forward to seeing more.

Gary Herrmann
07-20-2007, 7:35 PM
Nice table, Don. Clean lines, and the top is very pretty. Don't wait so long to get to the next one. ;)

Chris Barton
07-20-2007, 8:18 PM
Don,

Seems like you never missed a beat! It looks great!

Charles Jackson III
07-20-2007, 8:29 PM
Very nice table!

Mike Cutler
07-20-2007, 9:31 PM
Yes, I realize that it is a very simple project to many here, but I've built more than a table. The project improved my skills, knowledge and confidence. It got me going again. For me that's priceless.

Don.

It's a fine piece of furniture. Very classy!

The above statement is a contradiction though. The "simplist" furniture is often the most difficult to execute well. The piece has to rely on attention to detail, and craftsmanship of the joinery/fit to carry the piece. There isn't a whole lot of "fussiness" to draw the eye away from "mistakes". It has to stand on it's own form.

As I said before it's a fine piece of furniture. Well done, and well executed. You should be very proud,and pleased with it.

Jim Becker
07-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Nice work, Don. And good choice on the cherry! ;) I guess the powers-that-be will be hounding you for more!! :D

Don Bullock
07-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Nice work, Don. And good choice on the cherry! ;) I guess the powers-that-be will be hounding you for more!! :D

Thanks Jim. Yes, the LOML, or SWMBO, has decided that this woodworking does finally have a "good" side. After, as someone elso called it "retooling," I'm glad to finally have something to show for it. As Isaid in my post, I already have the wood for the next table. Luckily SWMBO (also the bill payer) hasn't gotten the bill for the lumber yet.:eek: Hopefully by the time it hits I'll be far enough into the project for to see that it's worth it.;) :D

Evan Stockton
07-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the reply, Don - I'll have to do some poking around the 'net and see if anything similar is offered here. I'd love to do something like it, especially if I found something geared toward the beginner.

Not to be too corny here, but thanks, too, for being a teacher.

Mark Singer
07-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Don Excellent! When you make something this nice you inspire those around you as well as yourself! I am looking forward to the next piece as well! Really wonderful!