PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Finish for Red Oak

Waymon Campbell
01-19-2004, 2:20 PM
Soliciting opinions on a favorite finish for red oak. I have a toy chest and EC project upcoming and am wondering what others have done.

Waymon...

Don Stanley
01-19-2004, 3:50 PM
Soliciting opinions on a favorite finish for red oak. I have a toy chest and EC project upcoming and am wondering what others have done.

Waymon...

I use a wood paste filler to even out the contrast of the wood grain. Don't bother asking for this product at the BORG -- they will point you to the wood putty isle. You can buy it at Woodcrft http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=7254&gift=False&mscssid=94FC84EC169E4EE8BE7875D72641B0C7. You can add stain to the paste filler, or buy it in a dark shade.

I used the light filler on my last project, and put it on before the stain, but I've since heard it should come after the stain. The general process it to apply the filler, let it sit for 10-20 minutes, and wipe it off with burlap.

The few times I have used it, the end result was on the light side (probably because I applied the filler before the stain, but did like the result.

I wish I could be more specific but hope this will give you some ideas, and maybe some of the other forum users can add what they know about wood paste fillers.

Dennis Peacock
01-19-2004, 4:02 PM

Waymon...

Two coats of Watco Natural Danish Oil and then let dry for 3 - 5 days and then coat with Lacquer Sealer and then 3 coats of lacquer works really well.

I have also finished with a custom mix of oil based stain and then applied lacquer and then rubbed out with 0000 steel wool and Johnsons Paste Wax. Also another fine finish and turned out really well.

I haven't gotten into the grain filling yet but I do plan on experimenting with it some to see what kind of results I can get out of it.

Chris Padilla
01-19-2004, 4:49 PM
Velvit Oil is fastly becoming my favorite finishing product for wood. With Keith Outten's ROS technique (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=5305&highlight=hand-rubbed), I get such a nice velvity smooth surface.

I have not tried it with an open-grained wood like oak but 400-grit sanding with a nice coating of oil to keep things lubricated does produce a slurry that can help fill in the grain.

I guess I should just try it on some oak I have laying around and see how it does for filling in the grain.

Gene Collison
01-19-2004, 6:16 PM

Waymon...

Deft Danish Oil finish, Golden Oak or Neutral (not much difference in color) Fastest and one of the nicest finishes I have found, Incredibly fast, easy and foolproof. Like Watco but easier. I don't try and fill the pores on oak or stain it, I want it to look and feel like oak. I build from oak because I like the look.

Gene

Rob Bourgeois
01-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Wet sand with 400 grit using oil either BLO of Tung Oil. Then follow that up with another coat wet sanded again 24 hours later. Continue wiht as many coats as you like. Smooth finish and not need for a sanding sealer step. I also do this with the 2 parts BLO or Tung oil/1 part Terps/1 part Poly mixture (Danish Oil) very smooth and deep satin finish that just begs to be touched.

Try it on some scraps you will be amazed by the smoothness, I tried it on a whim and never went back to non wet sanding finishes.

Waymon Campbell
01-20-2004, 7:42 PM
Appreciate the feedback, everyone. I did try some Watco Golden Oak on some scraps and I have to say that "I Like It".