PDA

View Full Version : X3 or Photgrav?

Brian Robison
07-20-2007, 9:06 AM
Hi all,
I need to get both but first, any opinions one what one I should get first?

Rodne Gold
07-20-2007, 9:21 AM
You can work as easily with an earlier version of Corel than X3 , there are some nice improvements and time savers but if you do a lot of photographic engravings , want to use coloured vector clipart without jumping thru hoops etc , the photograv is the answer. HOWEVER you *can* get similar results to photograv using Corel if you are prepared to fiddle. So ultimately , it depends on what time you have , if you are under production pressure in terms of your design work and if your time is expensive and you are doing fair volume of photoengraving , its photograv , if you dont have the wherewithall money wise right now and do have some time to experiment , X3.
Be aware as well , that some folk don't get universally good results out of photograv which is , imho , also a tad overpriced .

Vicky Orsini
07-20-2007, 9:47 AM
I went with Photograv for the exact reason that Rodne pointed out - my current version of Corel was working well enough ... at the time.

Having said that, I'm finding that I now want to upgrade to X3 because:
1) It's what most people have, so sharing files becomes easier (you don't have to apologize and beg them to save in a lower version for you), and
2) My copy of Corel seems to have become corrupted, it doesn't respond the same way all the time, and my original install CDs are much the worse for wear.

As for Photograv's ease of use, my first attempt was an unmitigated disaster. That was because I was in a hurry to try something and didn't bother reading the instructions first. My second attempt was much better, the customer was thrilled with the result (which is all that really matters in the end, right? ;) ). Read the instructions, download all the updates, make sure your marble (if that's what you're using) isn't too flaky, and you should be good to go.

Off topic, I love your siggy, Brian. My 8 year old has a JR50 (he's due for an upgrade). Hubby has a XR500 and a DT250, as well as an old quad (Moto4?) for off-road. On-road, he rides a Ducati 900SS. I have an Intruder 750, which I haven't really ridden since the kiddies came along, but I'm itching to get back on it once the little ones are old enough to fend for themselves for a few hours every week-end. :cool:

Robin Lake
07-20-2007, 10:54 AM
... make sure your marble ... isn't too flaky, ...

Words to live by, Vicky, in all areas of life.

Vicky Orsini
07-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Words to live by, Vicky, in all areas of life.
Oh, I dunno. A little flakiness once in the while is good for the soul. :p

Brian Robison
07-20-2007, 3:49 PM
Hi Vicky, bikes and laser engraving are addictive!
My 5 year old is the proud owner of the Suzuki JR50 with training wheels. She's SO cute riding it.