PDA

View Full Version : Delta Countdown Clock Expired?

Michael Schwartz
07-20-2007, 12:36 AM
I notcied about 10:00 tonight that there was two hours left on the Count Down to Precession. It is now 12:35 and both the Delta site and Porter Cable site seem to be down. Anybody heard anything yet, or had any luck getting through to the site?

Tom Henderson2
07-20-2007, 12:44 AM
I suspect they are loading some new stuff that hopefully will tell us all what the "precision" thing is all about.

It better be worth months of hype...

Mike Heidrick
07-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Still 15 minutes left on the clock - looks like it is CST. Site is now down for Delta/PC. DNS error so maybe Page/Sites are flipping to another server?

Ray Dockrey
07-20-2007, 12:56 AM
It is now backup but I don't see anything special. It is a new site and they seem to be making a big deal out of the new line of blades that used to be under the DeWalt name.

Dave Morris
07-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Left coast reporting.... it's 9:54 PST, and the Delta web page shows

"2 hours : 5 Minutes : 30 seconds"

It's still counting down, although I haven't refreshed the page since yesterday. Just out of curiosity I left it up to see if it kept going all day. Guess I'm not the only one who was wondering about what would happened when it finally reached zero. (fireworks? self destruct? )

Yawn... time for bed, work comes early in the morning. We'll all find out soon enough.

Tom Henderson2
07-20-2007, 2:24 AM
Looks like the site is back up, and the big deal is the Delta and PC brands now appear to be merged into one.... Delta/PC.

I sure hope they have some new tools to debut; the drill press is a good start but hardly worth months of hype.

Joe Jensen
07-20-2007, 2:32 AM
Just a clone of the excellent Leigh dovetail jig (Delta should be so proud) and a Delta branded version of the new Porter Cable mini Belt sander, and lastly, a drill press with a laser.

Dave MacArthur
07-20-2007, 4:07 AM
wow... THAT's anti-climatic!
Is it just me, or is the comparison between the Big Ol' badboy of the Tool world, Delta, and Grizzley, completely lopsided in Grizzley's favor? I mean, Griz just introduced several awesome products: 3 fantastic bandsaws that IMO put them just way out in front in the 17"-19" market (save MM, and maybe their new Ultimate 17" is comparable), AND they introduced an affordable sliding tablesaw w/ riving knife!

I waited for 5 months for the big AWFS Delta announcements for a drillpress? deleting Delta from my internet favorites...

Steve Milito
07-20-2007, 8:07 AM
Very disappointing.
The old WEB site was easier to navigate.
The new tools were announced well over a year ago, are nine months behind schedule, and still unavailable.
They still redirect all parts and owner manual requests to dewaltservicenet, which has yet to post owner manuals for either the new VS drill press or dovetail jig, and is woefully inadequate.

They should be ashamed.

Brad Townsend
07-20-2007, 8:16 AM
If they keep pulling phony PR stunts like this and fail to come up with anything new and original, their countdown clock truly will expire, and not in a good way.:rolleyes:

Kev Coleman
07-20-2007, 8:18 AM
totally agreed on the website. it is horrible to navigate and doesnt provide much info on the new products. Also, i find it kind of funny they have a countdown for so many months and then they say the new jig is avail in august? it wasnt a countdown to an announcement because the had ads for the new jig months ago. sounds like the marketing dept got their wires crossed:eek:

Very disappointing.
The old WEB site was easier to navigate.
The new tools were announced well over a year ago, are nine months behind schedule, and still unavailable.
They still redirect all parts and owner manual requests to dewaltservicenet, which has yet to post owner manuals for either the new VS drill press or dovetail jig, and is woefully inadequate.

They should be ashamed.

Michael Lutz
07-20-2007, 8:45 AM
In the router section they show new 890 kits with the new plunge base with through the column dust collection with no info. Further down the page is the 890 Type 2 kits with no pictures, but all the info for the kits. There also is a listing for a 8529 with no pictures and no info. You would have thought with all this build up they could have at least got the web page reading correctly, even if the new offerings are somewhat underwhelming.

Mike

Don Bullock
07-20-2007, 9:50 AM
Where's the "precession?" I don't get it, but maybe I'm missing something. The new drill press looks better than the last ones, but the quill travel is less than 5". So, is the Delta sander going to be any different than the PC sander? I have to say that I do like the new dovetail jig. For me that looks like the closest thing in this "new lineup" that has any precession. Yes it's a Leigh clone, but they have added new features that look like they would solve many of the problems with dovetail jigs. I'll be very interested in seeing one demonstrated. Maybe they still haven't made the "big" announcement.

Randy Klein
07-20-2007, 3:18 PM
As big of a disappointment this "precision" was, I'd bet their marketing dept is having a celebration party on the huge success it was…

Greg Peterson
07-20-2007, 3:25 PM
Plenty of other tool manufacturers out there that don't play games.

Sorry to see Delta doesn't have anything new to announce.

Matt Meiser
07-20-2007, 4:11 PM
But guys, theres LASERS on that drill press. :rolleyes:

So the big new intros for the week:
- Several new models from Grizzly as mentioned above.
- New saws/jointers from Steel City with granite tops.
- A new drill press, web site, sander and relabeled saw blades from Delta/Porter Cable.

Did I mis anything? At least Black and Decker didn't announce a Porter Cable version of the power adjustable wrench.

Pat Germain
07-20-2007, 5:06 PM
My Delta DP already has a laser on it. It's handy, but nothing earth-shattering. Is Delta now using some kind of "new and improved" laser?

I typically like Delta tools. I hope they get on the stick and get going or Grizzly and Steel City are going to put them out of business.

John Shuk
07-20-2007, 5:09 PM
Really disappointing. Don't they want to be in the game anymore?
I forwarded the link for this thread to them.

Michael Schwartz
07-20-2007, 5:42 PM
Wow, a drill press we allready knew about 6 months ago, thanks to multi page fold out adds-gloating about it. Its not even like it has a laser that can drill a hole, that would be petty sweet.

They better be releasing new products through the week or something. Although if they do I doubt they will be all that accurate. Best Delta eqipment have used is all old Delta Rockwell, and Delta Milwaukee stuff. Most of their new stuff is garbage in comparison. Their best tool today is the X5 15" planer which is a pretty slick setup, and is really easy to to use. I might buy one of these for that reason.

Gary Keedwell
07-20-2007, 6:52 PM
I think there is more then just the laser. It also has digital read-out for the quill feed and speed. It is also a variable speed ...so no changing the belts. The table is also different.
Personally, I don't care about the laser but it would be neat to see how fast my spindle is going and to get accurate depth watching the read-out.

Gary K.

Tom Henderson2
07-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Delta is all but dead. No innovation. Nothing new except a confusing brand combination.

New lipstick on the same old pigs. Stick a fork in them -- they are done.

Damn shame too.

I had hoped for a revitalized Unisaw, like PM did to the 66 when they brought out the PM2000.

Maybe next year.

Ray Dockrey
07-21-2007, 1:03 AM
Saw this link that says changes are coming...

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2007/07/20/hightlights-from-awfs-part-3/

Wilbur Pan
07-21-2007, 1:37 AM
Maybe I will be proven wrong in the morning, but the fact that none of the major woodworking magazines covering AWFS (Popular Woodworking, Fine Woodworking, and Wood) seem to have posted anything about this announcement on their respective websites/blogs today says a lot about the lack of content in this announcement.

One would think that the announcement that Delta/Porter Cable would be sourcing major components from U.S. suppliers would generate some buzz, but it looks like that Delta/Porter Cable couldn't be bothered to put that tidbit in their own press release (http://www.woodworkingonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/REVOLUTION%20Release_7.5.07_APPROVED-2.pdf).

And at least one of the mags (Popular Woodworking) did say that they were at the Delta/Porter Cable booth today to talk with Norm Abram and Scott Phillips, so it's not like they didn't get around to the Delta/Porter Cable booth just yet.

Don Bullock
07-21-2007, 7:29 AM
Their press release seems to focus more on "glitz" than substance. It talks more about packaging and logo changes than it does on tool improvements. It will be interesting to see if yhey actually bring quality tools with good inovations to the marketplace.

Jeff Raymond
07-21-2007, 7:50 AM
Big deal about nothing on the DP.

I got a laser thingie on my new one. Don't think I will hook it up. It is about marketing.