PDA

View Full Version : Jet Jointer bed adjustment sticking?

Dominic Greco
01-19-2004, 1:01 PM
Hey there folks,

I needed to shave a 1/32" off the edge of some cabinet rails I was making this past weekend. Since this was rock hard hickory, I wanted to change the adjustment of the bed so that I was taking 1/64" off at each pass. But had a devil of a time adjusting my Jet 6" Jointer. I checked to make sure the locking knob wasn't engaged, but it was still almost impossible to rotate the hand-wheel. I stopped short of using brute force and decided to inspect the mechanism.

I got down to look underneath the infeed table and used my compressor to blow out the accumulated debris. I even worked on blowing clean up the worm-screw. But it still won't move. Maybe the dovetailed ways are clogged. In all the time I've had it, I've never needed to perform any serious maintenance on it. This machine is about 3 years old.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this happen. Does anyone know the method to disassembling and cleaning this mechanism? Or is there another method that does not involve taking the whole assembly apart?