PDA

View Full Version : Help me finish my product

Peter Elliott
07-19-2007, 9:14 PM
Hey Guys,

Read this forum all the time. I make a product for the bagpipe industry (which I also play).
http://www.bagpipecradle.com/images/image0045.jpg

I use Hard Maple for 90% of my orders but do get orders for cherry, mahogany, mixed wood, etc.

I generally spray 3 coats of Minwax Polycrylic. It's ok, but not perfect. Kinda gives a plastic look sometimes.

Looking for something better with out breaking the bank.

Target USL is on the hit list... what else?

Most times I don't have the time to wait a week for something to dry, which is why BLO under poly maybe out.

Throw me some ideas please.

Thanks
Peter

mark page
07-19-2007, 9:41 PM
I second the Target USL.

Steve Schoene
07-19-2007, 11:20 PM
A small addition of TransTint amber might help to give a livelier look with a waterborne finish.

Tim Sproul
07-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Target has a fairly new product called 'Hybrivar' or similar that looks like an oil based finish.

You could also consider some of the other waterborne topcoats - 9000 or 9300 from Target Coatings. There are other brands out there that sell excellent water borne coatings too. Again, Jeff Jewitt is an excellent resource for both information/help and product.

Larry Fox
07-20-2007, 9:42 AM
Waterlox might be a good option to get away from some of the "plastic" look that sometimes comes with a medium/high-build finish - but you do have the drying issue. Depending on the abuse they need to stand up to, just simple shellac and wax might also be an option. A French Polish would be really nice but there is some work there.

Joe Chritz
07-20-2007, 9:54 AM
Another vote for Target USL for spray and waterlox for wipe on.

On a related note, the last seminar I went to for the labor union had the bagpipers from Detroit Police there.

Absolutely haunting.

Joe

Peter Elliott
07-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Joe,

I've seen the pipes break down the "toughest of tough men" I ever knew.

I thoroughly enjoy playing them, it's an instrument with it's own mind.

Not a lot of notes compared to other instruments, but it's takes about 7 years to get out of the beginner stages.

Plus being mostly a wood instrument and woodworker ;)

I'll wonder to Jeff's site...

Also, I spray with the Wagner HVLP conversion gun, nice to shoot and affordable.