PDA

View Full Version : Vector line around bmp?

Craig Hogarth
07-19-2007, 9:08 PM
I need to do a cutout around a photograv bmp. The photos have been through cutout lab and I need to cut an outline around the object. I normally just draw it out myself, but I have 30 I need to get done by Saturday. Anyone know how to do this easily?

Frank Corker
07-20-2007, 4:41 AM
Click on your subject, click on EFFECTS (Top of Corel - File Edit View Layout Arrange Effects) and choose CREATE BOUNDARY, that should do it

Stanley Waldrup
07-20-2007, 4:54 PM
Thanks Frank,
I needed that also.. Works GREEEATTTT!
Stanley

Craig Hogarth
07-20-2007, 8:26 PM
Frank, I keep on only getting squares around it. These are all photos on paper for scrapbooking. I'm trying to find an easier way to outline a person. Am I doing something wrong?

Frank Corker
07-20-2007, 8:48 PM
I'm sorry Craig, I don't know what cutout lab is, I assumed it had something to do with removing the backgrounds leaving you with just objects

Frank Corker
07-20-2007, 8:58 PM
Okay I just looked up what cutout lab is - (I don't tend to use the Corel photopaint) So the good news is that it appears to be pretty straight forward.

Click on your image, right click, ungroup all, then remove the background by clicking on the image and dragging it to one side. You will be left with just your image that you processed in cutout lab

Frank Corker
07-20-2007, 9:00 PM
and for the benefit of others who don't know what cutout lab is look here
http://www.vectorials.com/tutorials/Using-the-Cutout-Lab-59047.html

Craig Hogarth
07-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Click on your image, right click, ungroup all, then remove the background by clicking on the image and dragging it to one side. You will be left with just your image that you processed in cutout lab

Frank, it's a bitmap, so I can't ungroup. I've tried several ways and I just can't get it to work.

What do you use to cut out backgrounds? I've been doing a lot scrapbook stuff lately and it's taking too much time to draw an outline around a person.

Frank Corker
07-21-2007, 5:43 AM
Sadly (some would say) I do most of my graphics in Aldus Photostyler 2.0 which was made for Windows 3.1 but it just happens to be a program that I prefer to use. Looking at photolab it seems to be quite effective and if it is all you have access to then it's not too bad a choice.

There are quite a few programs that you can get for Photoshop which are very effective in removing backgrounds such as Vertus Fluid Mask (http://www.vertustech.com/fm_overview.htm)

Are all the things you are doing photographs of people?

Craig Hogarth
07-21-2007, 7:08 AM
As far as photos go, people make up about 80% of the orders. The rest are primarily planes we have at our local Navy base.

It's not difficult to outline them, but I'm still looking for a way to do it with a click of the mouse.

Joseph B. Chritz
07-21-2007, 9:33 AM
I haven’t found a quick any easy way yet, but this works.

Start with both CorelDraw and Photo-paint open. You will need to switch between them. Alt Tab or click on the minimized program in the tool bar, or what ever is your favorite method.
Start with photo after cutout lab.
Control C to copy

Switch to a blank page in CorelDraw
Control V to paste

Switch to Photo-Paint
Select the Magic Wand mask tool and click in the background area some place.

Select Paint on mask

This would be a good time to clean up any stray marks you don’t want.
Control C to copy
Switch to CorelDraw
Control V to paste
Right click on the black and white object and quick trace.
Turn off fill turn on outline color.
Ungroup the curve so you can delete the rectangle.
Delete the black and white object and position the outline.

Joseph B. Chritz
07-21-2007, 9:37 AM
OOPS, here are the pics.

Mike Null
07-21-2007, 2:26 PM
Joseph

I believe what you describe can be done through cutout lab without the toggling but I believe the method works as you've described only if you have a solid color background.

Is that right?

Joseph B. Chritz
07-21-2007, 4:41 PM
Hi Mike,
After Cutout Lab I don't have any background, only the graphic I want. The Magic Wand mask tool selects only the graphic. Paint on mask is used to isolate some of the graphic so it can be edited without affecting the entire graphic, but all I want is the black image for Quick Trace. See the four pictures in the middle.

Corel Photo-Paint works only with bitmaps. To get a vector graphic to surround the bitmap I'm pretty sure you have to go to Corel Draw.

You can still use the PhotoGrav image for the laser, just "Cutout Lab" the original image before PhotoGrav and copy the vector outline to where it's needed.

Joe

Mike Null
07-21-2007, 4:53 PM
Sorry, I missed the line "after cutout lab".

Frank Corker
07-21-2007, 8:28 PM
It's not difficult to outline them, but I'm still looking for a way to do it with a click of the mouse.

Craig I don't think this is going to happen. The nearest thing of course is the magic wand otherwise how is the program going to know you want a, b or c in the finished article or why you don't want the lamp standard but you do want the car. All of the things are pretty much draw a line around and remove the background.

Darryl Hazen
07-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Craig,

The latest copy of Epilog's Laser Focus has a link to a tutorial on creating an outline around a clip art image. Might be worth checking it out. The url is: www.epiloglaser.com/clipart_outline.htm (http://www.epiloglaser.com/clipart_outline.htm)

George M. Perzel
07-22-2007, 1:51 PM
Hi Gang;
Here;s another way that works:

1. Open the file in CorelDraw
2. If the drawing is not a bitmap, click on Bitmap-Convert to Bitmap
3. Click "edit Bitmap"- this will open the drawing in Photo Paint
4. Make sure the object in the drawing is not touching the sides-if it is, open Image-Paper size and make the drawing background area bigger.
5. Select the "magic Wand tool" from the 2nd tool flyout on the left toolbar.
6. With the "magic wand", click on the background area
7. Go to Mask-Invert
8. Go to Edit-Copy
9.. Go back to CorelDraw (click on the name on the bottom bar)
10. In Corel Draw, click on Edit-Paste
10. A copy of the object without the background will be pasted on the Corel work area.
Good Luck
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Craig Hogarth
07-24-2007, 1:27 AM
Joseph, thanks for the help. Not as quick as I was hoping, but heck of a lot easier than what I was doing before.

Tom Cole
07-24-2007, 10:45 AM
In Corel X3, trace the bitmap using the trace tool and logo or bitmap setting. This converts it to a group of vector objects. Leave it grouped and use the create boundary command to trace the outside area of the group of vector objects.