PDA

View Full Version : Which chucks are the best and for what reason?

Bill Wyko
07-19-2007, 8:42 PM
I'm thinking about a second chuck and was wondering what would be recommended for a larger one and a smaller one.:rolleyes: I think the one I saw that I liked was called Vickmarc I believe.

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Bill I have the large and small Vicmarc. I really like those. They have did everything I have asked of them. The big one held a 16" X 6" bowl blank just fine. I also found out the jaws will fit the $99 Grizzly chuck which is a bonus for me since that is one of my first chucks. Those are the only ones I have used so can't tell you about the others. I got the pin jaws and shark jaws. You talk about holding power those shark jaws do it. Just my $1.298.

Rich Souchek
07-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Bill,
I like the Oneway company and went that way to support them. Have 2 Talons and one Stronghold. Another reason is a store about 7 miles away carries their line and I want to support that store and owner.
Actually, I think the best chuck a person can have is one they have gotten used to and are both happy with it and trust it.
There are a lot of great chucks out there and mostly small differences. If one chuck stands out in my mind, I can dream up numerous reasons.
I am used to the Oneways and really like them. The Talon sized chuck will handle about 90 to 95% of all my turnings. The mid sized Oneway chuck with tommy bars would actually have been a better step up than the Stronghold. It is not that the Stronghold is not a great lchuck, just that is is very large and realistically, it's strength is not needed in my turnings. (Read overkill.)
Rich S.

Jim Stoppleworth
07-20-2007, 4:38 AM
Bill,

I have 2 Teknatool SN2's. I went that way 3 years ago for my first one because one of the points I liked about them was that all their jaws fit their various models of chucks so if I added a chuck (which I did a couple of months ago) everything would fit. I have the 50MM, 100MM, pin jaws and cole jaws. I'll probably add another down the road to cut down further on jaw changes.

From what I've read and heard in conversations choice is dependent more on turner preference than on quality differences.

Jim

Chris Barton
07-20-2007, 5:57 AM
Hi Bill,

I have 6 chucks from various manufacturers and a new value offering is the Grizzly H6265 which fits my Oneway 1224 but, they have them in all thread sizes. And, if you like Vicmark, you'll like these. They are identical... except the Griz comes in at $100.

joe greiner
07-20-2007, 8:15 AM
Bill, I also have the Griz H6265 (1x8); also available with 3/4 x 16, 1 x 12, 1 1/4 x 8 and 1 1/2 x 8. I also got the small and large jaws (H6268 & h6269 - ~$20 each). My only complaint (sort of) is there's a gap in the adjustment range between the intermediate and the large size. But I just avoid tenons or sockets that can't be engaged by either one.

Here are the ranges I measured:
Outside (compression): small 0.2" - 1.75"; intermediate 1.269" - 2.819"; large 3.284" - 4.834"
Inside (expansion): small 0.935" - 2.485"; intermediate 1.800" - 3.350"; large 3.884" - 5.434"

For any such adjustable chucks, optimum purchase usually is obtained at the low end of the range. Farther out, the jaws pinch a round tenon at eight points (compression mode); in expansion mode, the midpoints of the jaw arcs contact only four places on a round socket. If you must dismount and re-mount, it's advisable to mark the workpiece with the jaw numbers to reduce later wobble. Even the most expensive chucks have manufacturing tolerances.

For larger sizes, Cole jaw accessories can be attached to most chucks. But also consider a Longworth chuck. I've intended to post a description of some that I've made, but haven't got a round tuit. If you can't wait, take a look in the southern hemisphere.

Joe

Jim Becker
07-20-2007, 8:46 AM
I personally prefer the OneWay jaws, so that would be the way I'd point you. And you don't necessarily need a "large" and "small" chuck. The Stronghold's jaw options will allow you to go small as well as large if you need both directions. (I actually still use a Talon even though I have a big lathe simply because I haven't exceeded the capacity of the chuck with any turnings at this point...)

Chris Barton
07-20-2007, 10:37 AM
I personally prefer the OneWay jaws, so that would be the way I'd point you. And you don't necessarily need a "large" and "small" chuck. The Stronghold's jaw options will allow you to go small as well as large if you need both directions. (I actually still use a Talon even though I have a big lathe simply because I haven't exceeded the capacity of the chuck with any turnings at this point...)

Morning Jim,

The Oneway Stronghold is in my fleet of chucks and unless you buy extra jaws it won't do small work with the standard set. In compression mode they will only handle about 2" at the smallest. If you want to chuck up a smaller tenon than that you have to change the jaws.

Jim Becker
07-20-2007, 10:43 AM
That's true, Chris. The same holds for the Talon, too. The "standard" #2 jaws are too big for some work and too small for other work. Nature of chucks. That's why I have several different sets for my Talon. I don't find it cumbersome to change the jaws...it take about 2-3 minutes tops.

My reference to liking the jaw design of the OneWay is because they don't require a dovetail shape on the tenon (or a recess) and because they really have great hold.

TYLER WOOD
07-20-2007, 11:26 AM
I've been using a friends Baracuda 2 and 4 from PSI. Have not had one slip, (except for me not tightening one down properly, my fault:rolleyes: ). I've done a 19" platter, 12" bowls, down to 4" bowls. Absolutely no problems. They do have some run out, but like said above, all chucks have tolerances, just these are not as tight as other tolerances. For the price and the fact all the jaws come with it, mak eit a great buy. Although I like seeing the price on the Grizzley. Will have to look at those, seeing I'm also in the market for my own set of chucks in the next couple weeks. (gloat coming soon hopefully).

Baracuda2 = 170
Baracuda4 = 200

Both come with 4 sets of jaws, and a screw chuck. Nice setup for the price.

Reed Gray
07-20-2007, 11:30 AM
I have the Vicmark, and love them. I prefer the dove tail design as I feel that they hold better than the straight jaws. I noticed that Oneway now has slides available to fit their big chuck that will hold the Vicmark jaws. With the large Vicmark, I can turn and core a 18 by 7 inch bowl with the chuck in a recess/expansion mode.
robo hippy

Steven Wilson
07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Well, what chuck(s) to have depends on what you want to do and what size lathe you have. I have been very well served with the Oneway Chucks (Talon and Stronghold) that I have but then again the way I like to turn is well served by the different jaw sets that Oneway offers ( I started with a Talon on my mini lathe, got the Stronghold when I upsized to a 2436). Others whom I know really like the Vicmark and are well served by the options it offers; different strokes for different folks. Both Oneway and Vicmark (Nova too) are quality chucks and perform well, they just go about it a little differently. On top of those, I use a Grizzly 3 jaw metal working chuck (w/ custom machined adapter to fit my Oneway) to hold mandrels I use for turning cork fishing rod handles. If I was turning a lot of objects with a specific size tennon I would choose the Beall collet chuck. So what chuck(s) to use really depends on how you like to turn. Since the good ones are a bit pricey you might want to see some in action. Join a local turning club if at all possible.

Bill Wyko
07-20-2007, 1:44 PM
Thanks everyone. Just curious, are most of these one handed or do they use Tommy Bars? Right now I have the Nova Midi with 2 sets of jaws.

Dick Strauss
07-20-2007, 2:02 PM
Stronghold here...one handed operation kind of like a drill key+chuck...my thoughts below:

1. great holding power on green wood without a dovetail
2. overkill for Delta 1440 lathe but will never need to be upgraded
3. the large diameter chuck does get in the way with small turnings

Dick

Chris Barton
07-20-2007, 2:33 PM
the Grizzly copy of the Vicmark is one-handed and uses a T-handle hex wrench exactly like the Vicmark to move the jaws. One other thing I would add about the question is if the jaws are ribbed. The Stronghold is a very strong chuck but in part that strength is due to the multiple ribs on the inside that bite into the wood. That's fine if what you put into it is planed as waste but, if you want to compress a finished foot into the chuck to do a bit more tuning on the remainder of the piece you will leave marks in the wood. I have several chucks because I do tend to use them for specialized purposes. I never put anything in the Stronghold that will allow it to touch a finished surface. On the other hand, the Vicmark/Griz copy is very smooth and can easily be used on finished surfaces.

Gordon Seto
07-20-2007, 2:53 PM
Other than the chuck itself, you also have to look at the jaws. Metal is much stronger than wood, you can't go wrong with any of the popular chucks.

I use the Nova family of chucks (Midi, SN, SN2 and Titan) and most of the jaws (except step jaw). They range from small to jumbo, I can use any set of jaws (except one) on any Nova chucks that I have. That makes most economic sense to me. I also like the long nose jaws (allow me clearance to work on the back side of small turnings) and the faceplate rings.

The two hands tommy bars may not be all bad. They usually have faster action than turning the chuck key.

Gordon

Tom Keen
07-20-2007, 2:57 PM
My first chuck was the Barracuda 2. Had no problems at all with it. Good value with the full set of jaws that come with it. So, I bought the large #4 for $199 with four sets of jaws. The jaws are "ribbed", one hand operation with the t-handle. I really like it. The only problem has been me when I overtightened and broke the tenon.

I suspect its a clone of someone elses chuck..wish I knew which one so I could get a set of jumbo cole jaws for it..

Tom

Tom Sherman
07-21-2007, 7:57 AM
Bill I had an opportunity to use the Barricuda 4 at Bill Grumbine's back in April, I loved it comes with four sets of jaws and does a super job. It will be my next chuck as soon as CFO approves my purchase request.

Curt Fuller
07-21-2007, 11:39 AM
My 2 cents on this is that you'll get used to about any good quality chuck. Some of the ones that use the tommy bars to tighten are awkward but I've watched guys demo on them and they have it figured out so it's not a problem. But what I think makes a good chuck a great chuck is whether it uses an insert to thread onto the spindle. Over time you'll add to and upgrade your collection of lathes and end up with different sized spindles. So a good chuck that will never wear out will still be useable if you can just change a $25 insert.

Mike A. Smith
07-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks for kicking off this thread Bill. I was gonna be asking the same question this weekend and now I've already got the input I was looking for!