PDA

View Full Version : rough cut hardwood

ken peavy
07-19-2007, 8:09 PM
Hi all - This is my first post. I will be making a run to South MO. up Hwy 67??
Hope to find a "peckerwood" saw mill and pick up some rough cut wet hardwood. Does any one know the local price for most any hardwood or a small sawmill on the Ar/Mo north east of Little Rock. Would love to find walnut, hard maple, beech or most any hardwood. (pine is most all you can find here in N La http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon9.gif ). Thanks Ken

Russ Buddle
07-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Somebody has to ask -:D - What is a 'peckerwood' sawmill? I buy from a couple sawmills, and know a few peckerwoods, but I have not heard of a peckerwood sawmill.

ken peavy
07-19-2007, 10:45 PM
This is slang from the 1930's - 40's. Around here (north La.) for a small 2 to 4 man sawmill. In those days the mills were moved to the trees not the other way around. Ken

David Epperson
07-20-2007, 10:53 AM
I had a one man portable mill mill operation mill a Pear tree for me. Price was 15 cent's per bf for the 200 bf I got out of it. But he was milling my wood. No idea what he would charge for a package deal, as I don't think this guy did that. Bro in Law paid the same price to have 2 Tulip Poplars milled into around 700bf. Cedar was also the same. This was right here in Little Rock.