PDA

View Full Version : New Bosch TS

Dan Lautner
07-19-2007, 6:43 PM
I saw a new Bosch TS at a big box. It has a riving knife and a funky looking blade gaurd. The portable base flips up. I think its called the 4100. It looks like a nice portable saw. Has anyone seen or used this saw?

Dan

frank shic
07-19-2007, 7:36 PM
dan, i played around with it last night at the home cheapo. the gravity rise stand is incredibly easy to raise and lower not to mention maneuver. i thought the fence racked a little bit but clearly the star was the blade guard: easily removable and has a true riving knife attachment. with the digital fence upgrade option, i might just purchase one later in the year to do all my solid wood cutting. check out this review by master trim carpenter, gary katz.

http://www.garymkatz.com/ToolReviews/bosch_4100_table_saw.htm

Jim Becker
07-19-2007, 8:37 PM
I think it was mentioned in Fine Homebuilding awhile back as one of two portables that feature a riving knife. I don't recall the issue, however.

glenn bradley
07-19-2007, 10:57 PM
My brother has it and loves it. He occasionally needs a TS and the fold down feature allows him to have one for the 'now and then' use and fold it away when done.

I would assume it also makes a good job-saw if that is your intention. I would trust someone who does that kind of work for that opinion though.

Matt Lentzner
07-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Any word if the previous 4000 saw can be upgraded to use these new features? I'd love to use that guard - it looks really nice.

Matt

frank shic
07-20-2007, 12:29 AM
i'd be even more curious to find out if the digital fence can be retrofitted to the 4000 model.

Matt Lentzner
07-23-2007, 3:55 PM
I wrote to Bosch tools and asked this question:

I own a Bosch 4000 TS. I would like to know if any of the parts on the new 4100 TS can be used to upgrade my saw - specifically the blade guard/splitter and the digital fence.

Here's the answer:

Thank you for writing. Unfortunately, the accessories are NOT interchangeable. Please let me know if there is anything more I can help you with.

:(

Bill Huber
07-23-2007, 4:09 PM
That is a nice looking little saw and I like the digital fence.

Here is a video I found on it awhile back.

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/videos/index.aspx?id=71528&c=3

Eugene A. Manzo III
07-23-2007, 4:57 PM
I believe Bosch still gets #1 ranking for portable saw ? I found it to be a little bit to high for my height so went with Ridgid and love that one as well.

frank shic
07-23-2007, 7:37 PM
Thanks for finding out, Matt!

Larry Rasmussen
07-23-2007, 7:53 PM
I think it is a very nice product, light weight or not. I've gone to cutting sheet goods with a festool circular saw and the bosch is my main table saw now in my garage/hobby shop. I had a Grizzly contractor's saw but continually found the long fence rails in the way. I wanted something more compact but still accurate. I did buy an accusquare fence from mule cabinets though.

Ok focus. I'm writing to say I've had the saw for a year and occasionally check for blade squareness and have yet to find that it wanders away from the setting. Based on my experience I am comfortable recommending the Bosch for accuracy and consistency too, not just the super convenient size and folding base.

Larry