PDA

View Full Version : New Saw Time!

Maurice Ungaro
07-19-2007, 5:29 PM
Well, it;s a good thing I used my brain and pre-wired my new shop (read "garage") for an extra 220 outlet where my table saw goes. My current contractor saw (on steroids) has been residing at my sis-in-law's for 18 months. Her boyfriend, a luthier, has grown attached to it, and she wants to buy it from me for him.

ANYWAY, as I'll be swinging through Atlanta on the way to get the rest of my tools from her, I'm thinking about getting one of these deals from Redmond.

50-260 M1 General Int. 10" Cabinet Saw $995.00
708662PK Jet 10" Exacta Saw w/30" Fence $1,099.00
SC-35623 Steel City 10" Cabinet Saw w/ 50" Fence $1,195.00

I can also get the Delta X series Unisaw w/ 50" Beismeyer for $1,195.00

Now, before you guys and gals get all bothered by Redmond, and the last jointer shipping fiasco that a Creeker experienced, let me say that I've never had that problem, and that I've always seen the product on their floor before taking it home. That being said, which of the above models would you look at seriously?

Tyler Purcell
07-19-2007, 5:38 PM
I'm not a big fan of the General, but I would say that the Jet will serve you very well as would the Steel City. However, if I had to make my choice it'd be the Unisaw. Sure, they aren't what they used to be, but in my opinion it is still a pretty good tool...

scott spencer
07-19-2007, 5:44 PM
I'm not a big fan of the General, but I would say that the Jet will serve you very well as would the Steel City. However, if I had to make my choice it'd be the Unisaw. Sure, they aren't what they used to be, but in my opinion it is still a pretty good tool...

Tyler - I always thought the Jet and the GI cab saws came from the same plant... is it GI you don't like or the saw?

I haven't seen the Steel City yet, but I hear alot of positive comments about their upgraded fence... it's supposedly one souped up Biese clone. The TiN top would have some appeal if it includes that.

I'd be comfortable with any one of those machines Maurice....pick the one that makes your pulse rate go highest. :)

Gary Keedwell
07-19-2007, 5:47 PM
I have a Unisaw but I'm not 100% happy with it. Went to woodworking a few months ago and almost walked away with Steel City titadium top TS. Played around with it for awhile and was impressed.

Kinda like the underdog and they seem to have a great attitude. Maybe I'll trade my saw in for the new granite top TS that Steel City is coming out with.;)
Gary K.

John Shuk
07-19-2007, 7:47 PM
being a fan of the Unisaw I'd bag that one. However I can't see you going wrong at all. It pretty much boils down to which one grabs you.

Brian Clevenger
07-19-2007, 8:20 PM
I tried the JET and it was a fine saw.

If you're not willing to look at the used market, the JET should be all you need.

If you're willing to go used, Powermatic 66 would cost about the same. I like mine, and I found it used.

Jim Becker
07-19-2007, 8:26 PM
Earlier in the year, I sold my circa 2000 Jet LT cabinet saw for nearly what I paid for it...in 2000. It's a great saw. That said, any on your list will give you satisfaction...pick the color and features you prefer. The price differences are not all that meaningful in the long term.

Larry Nall
07-19-2007, 8:56 PM
So Jim, what did you replace your Jet with?

Nancy Laird
07-19-2007, 9:02 PM
Steel City, without a doubt. You will NOT be sorry. We have the jointer and planer, and couldn't be happier!!!

Nancy

Brad Sperr
07-19-2007, 9:08 PM
I have the Jet and I've been really happy with it. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of those, though.

Jim Becker
07-19-2007, 9:28 PM
So Jim, what did you replace your Jet with?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51276 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51276&highlight=S315)

Brian Penning
07-19-2007, 9:39 PM
Couldn't be happier with my General Int'l 250(Right tilt). Biesmeyer fence and all.

Lou Ortiz
07-19-2007, 10:24 PM
While I'd agree that any of these options would be a great upgrade, I really think the Steel City offers the best and beefiest setup for the money.

Maurice Ungaro
07-20-2007, 8:57 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! I agree, at that price point, any one of those choices would be fine. I've been trying to find some reviews on the Steel City saw, put only have come up with the overview of Steel City last year in FWW. Maybe I should just wait until I can see all the prospective candidates up close and personal.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-20-2007, 9:41 AM
For conventional saws I like the General. Steel City has been looking pretty good to many. Saw Stop has a very good saw and it's pretty generous on the cast iron too. It's a tad pricey tho' considering all you get is a conventional saw with a trip-switch brake.

However:

Why not pay more and get more. Have you looked at the Felder or Hammer line? If there is any chance you can get to Delaware or of a friend or creeker with a slider is nearby it'd be a really fun thing to check out

Don Bullock
07-20-2007, 9:54 AM
...Maybe I should just wait until I can see all the prospective candidates up close and personal.

Maurice, I think that's an excellent idea. There are a lot to choose from right now and if you're not in a hurry, by checking them all out first will leave you with fewer regrets later on. Perhaps something new will show up at the Los Vegas show that will be "better" for you.

Paul Douglass
07-20-2007, 12:03 PM
I have a Steel City Cabinet saw and could not be happier (I don't think). It is the first and only cabinet saw I have ever owned or used so I can't give you much advice. I just know I am happy with what I bought. I have the 35618 model.

Art Mulder
07-20-2007, 1:36 PM
Tyler - I always thought the Jet and the GI cab saws came from the same plant... is it GI you don't like or the saw?

I'm told that the GI saws are made by Maoshan in Taiwan. Is that the same factory as Jet uses?

~4 years ago when I bought my GI contractor's saw, I noted that there were three things, in particular, that distinguished it from other import saws:
The General T Saw Fence. The saw is from Taiwan, but the fence is built here in Canada. It's the same fence that goes on the high end General 350 cabinet saw. It's virtually identical to the Beisemeyer fence. This fence is a dream compared to what it replaced on my old saw.
The handles and miter guage are also heavy (cast?) steel parts, and not flimsy plastic. I'm not sure if they also come out of the factory in Quebec or not. As others have written, the handles feel like they belong on a cabinet saw.
It comes with solid cast-iron wings, instead of stamped steel wings, or open webbed wings (like the Ridgid). My old saw had open webbed wings, and I've had my fingers pinched in them before, ouch. I want the smooth surface and mass of a solid surface.
Thanks for the input everyone! I agree, at that price point, any one of those choices would be fine. I've been trying to find some reviews on the Steel City saw, put only have come up with the overview of Steel City last year in FWW. Maybe I should just wait until I can see all the prospective candidates up close and personal.

<cough><cough> Ahem! I hereby nominate Maurice to be the official SMC testee of the new Steel City Granite-topped saw that they just announced.

All in favour say "aye"... ;)

Don Bullock
07-20-2007, 1:59 PM
...<cough><cough> Ahem! I hereby nominate Maurice to be the official SMC testee of the new Steel City Granite-topped saw that they just announced.

All in favour say "aye"... ;)

I second your nomination.;) :D

Maurice Ungaro
07-20-2007, 2:07 PM
<<All in favour say "aye"...
I second your nomination. >>

Ah, jeeez!

Maurice Ungaro
07-23-2007, 9:26 AM
Thanks for all the input, and especially for the nomination to the select office of "Granite Top TS Tester". I just got off the phone with Rich Jenkins at Redmond, and got the last reconditioned Unisaw avaialbe for the sale price of $1,095. http://www.redmondmachinery.com/browse.cfm/4,642.htm
What's even sweeter, is that I save the sales tax since it's an out-of-state sale. At that price, I couldn't pass it up. I'm sure it'll be fine for my first cabinet saw, despite FWW's lament over the .005 runout on the arbor flange.

I'm going to pick it up on August 18th, as I roll thru Atlanta. To temporarily satisfy the pic police, here's a stock image. Real photos to follow once the saw is on my property.

Don Bullock
07-23-2007, 9:52 AM
Congratulations. That's a fine saw at a good price.

Jeff Raymond
07-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Just finished setting up my new X series with the Biesemeyer. (Remembering that Delta owns Biesemeyer).

Couldn't be happier with the saw. Too bad you can't get the old Unifence tho...personal preference was that the older extruded aluminum fence was better, but that's just me.

Jim Becker
07-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Congrats on your new saw!

Jeff Raymond
07-23-2007, 7:43 PM
Good deal!

Enjoy it and be careful with it!