PDA

View Full Version : Yet another pen finishing question... (YAPFQ?)

Patrick Taylor
07-19-2007, 4:51 PM
I know that lately we've beaten pen finishing into the ground, but I have another question. I've been told that friction polish, while easy to apply, is not as durable as CA. That seems logical. I also have some Ren-wax, that is supposed to protect wood from hand oils, etc. Here's for the proposal... Would following friction polish (like Hut crystal coat) with ren-wax help the long term durability of the friction polish? I suspect that it will help protect against the frequent handling, but not dings and such. Thoughts anyone?

Also, regarding ren-wax, the jar says apply by hand, which I've done, and I've also applied it to a pen on the spinning lathe with a paper towel. Is there any reason not to apply it to spinning wood with a paper towel? Chemical, temperature, or otherwise?

Thanks everyone.

Tom Sherman
07-19-2007, 4:54 PM
Patrick I have applied Renwax both ways and not seen any appreciable difference.

Mike Vickery
07-19-2007, 5:07 PM
Patrick - Wax is probably the softest thing you could put on any turning. I do not feal that it will help the duarability of your pen finish. The wax will help perserve the finish from the light handling of perspective customers. But in the long term I doubt it will last a week of normal use. The friction polish probably wont last more then a month or two.

Just my opinion,others may have had different results.

Unfortunately a pen is subjected to much more abuse then any other turned item that I can think of and softer finishes just can't handle it.

Harvey M. Taylor
07-19-2007, 5:27 PM
Ialways top my pens off with good old Carnauba wax. Usually 2 coats. It is the hardest wax known.After applying it a good rub at fairly fast speeds does the job.I call it, chasing the white line. You will understand it when you do it.

Jonathon Spafford
07-19-2007, 5:44 PM
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2004/ca-blo.pdf

I have only tried this one form of CA finish (out of the 997 out there)... I really like this finish because it is easy, it doesn't require a variable speed lathe like some other CA glue techniques do, and I haven't found trouble with a streaky finishes like folks say is present with other CA finishes. You can get BLO at HD for a couple bucks a can and it will last you your whole life of pen turning! I imagine you already have the CA glue. Give it a shot and see how you like it!

According to the reading that I've done, most people agree that both a friction polish and wax is not durable enough for a pen!

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2007, 6:26 PM
Patrick my first pen was done with friction polish and to coats of Ren Wax. It did not prolong the finish. After about 8 months of daily use you could see it wearing off. The CA pen I did about the same time that my wife carries still looks good. I would say Enduro Sealer/Topcoat and CA are probably your most durable finishes. Although a lacquer pen I did has held up rather well from daily use.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
07-19-2007, 8:14 PM
I use lacquer on woods that are not stabilized. Usually about 5-6 coats, I then rub it out with 12,000 MM and then polish, wax for a touch feel.

This is a curly koa finished as described.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8967-1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8963-1.jpg

Patrick Taylor
07-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I'm mostly using the "Russ" method of CA/BLO, but thought I might try something else. Bernie, it sounds like you've got a good data point for my particular question. I guess I stick with the CA.

Thanks again!

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Patrick I just got the Enduro Sealer/topcoat from Bear Tooth Woods. I will let you know how it goes with that. I did one and I really like how it finished but will see how the durability works out. They say it is as good or better than CA pen turners forum.

Patrick Taylor
07-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Patrick I just got the Enduro Sealer/topcoat from Bear Tooth Woods. I will let you know how it goes with that. I did one and I really like how it finished but will see how the durability works out. They say it is as good or better than CA pen turners forum.

Do you have a photo example? How is the product used?

Patrick Taylor
07-19-2007, 11:42 PM
I did a bubinga pen tonight with CA/BLO, polishing with MM 4000-12000 between coats, and what really made me more happy with this one was the closed-pore look I got by first applying a layer or 2 of thin CA before I did the thick CA/BLO. Afterwards I buffed with tripoli and white diamond but NOT carnuba.

The surface is much more uniform. I think I'm pretty satisfied with my method now.

I'm still ears for any other opinions or ideas. :)