PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
01-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Well....another weekend has come and gone. I got to clean up some in my shop over the weekend and I was visited by Terry, Cheryl and Payton Hatfield on their return trip from college visiting. It's always nice to have them drop by.....Other than cleaning up, a little turning...not much else going on and I am getting too figity because I don't have any real serious projects to be working on right now. If it didn't take MONEY to start projects, I would have my house furniture projects completed by the end of this year.....and I can start the home cabinet rebuild next year......I guess I'm gonna have to grow me a few more of those "money trees". :)

Best of Weeks...........

Ken Salisbury
01-19-2004, 11:32 AM
My weekend was pretty hectic - although rewarding. I worked almost around the clock all weekend on the Freedom Pens program. Calling media outlets, sending, answering lots of e-mails and PM's, and contacting prospective sponsors in addition to my normal moderating chores. Whew! - I need a nap :D

Eric Sanford
01-19-2004, 12:02 PM
For me it was a "good and bad" weekend. Finished this stool for the shop - I'd wanted one for quite some time. The bad was just frustration-related. I'm rehabbing an old Kimberly Coffin smoother. The blade had some rust and had been sharpened with a tremendous radius, nor was the back flat. So I spent several hours trying to work the blade back into shape. It took a lot longer than I really wanted to spend.

but it was still shop time :)

Link to another public forum was removed - Terms of Service prohibits such links --

Dave Richards
01-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Great stool, Eric. I love the color, too.

I made planking nippers so I can clamp the planks inplace on the cradle boat. I think a dozen will get me started. :D
http://www.netexperts.cc/~lambertm/discus/messages/618/2986.jpg
http://www.netexperts.cc/~lambertm/discus/messages/618/2985.jpg

Mike Evertsen
01-19-2004, 12:47 PM
I didn't get much done this weekend bad tooth infection slowed me down,,I almost have one side of the entertainment center down need to get soft maple but it was 3 degrees this morning and didn't want go pick out lumber at the mill,,,I'm going to rockler this afternoon for hinges,,,off tonite from work for M.L.K's birthday when I get home I'll replace the coveyer belt on the delta drum sander and put it on the mobile base,,,

Scott Post
01-19-2004, 12:48 PM
I'm doing one room in the house in all quartersawn sycamore. This morning I rubbed out the shellac and brought this display cabinet upstairs. Yesterday I glued up a blanket chest. This afternoon I'll be hand dovetailing a tray for the inside of the chest.
http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Tmp/sycamore_diplaycab.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Tmp/sycamore_displaycab_open.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Tmp/blanketchest.jpg

Scott Coffelt
01-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Well the weather was just nasty here on Saturday, but I got out and test drove a couple (OK, Wife drove and I sat in the back seat) vehicles on Saturday. SWMBO hates the van and wants to go back to a car, I think I finally got her to drop the SUV idea. Now if I can just get her to drop the new car idea as well I will have more money for tools.

I got a wild hair up something and decided to clean out the storage area in the basement. I purged all the stuff that has been in paper boxes to plastic and moved them to the area I cleaned out last week. I now have a place to design a craft area for the above mentioned SWMBO. This will keep her from creeping into the wood shop, I would never have room to get anything done and its already too small of a shop. So now in the next few weeks I will build her a nice new work bench to call her own, but first a little paint on the walls, some tiles for the floor and lighting has to be installed.

I did get to work on the Accent table. I glued the base together and hand cut the mortices for in the top. Too big to use the Morticer. It's the first time I have cut through mortices by hand in what may be ages. I am not sure of the fit yet as I want to be real careful with the tendons. I cracked one and had to reglue (broke about a quarter of the end trying to dry fit). It shouldn't impact strength as the crack will be in the middle of the tendons and glued. I got about half the sanding done and hope to finish the rest tonight. Fingers crossed, I hope to have it completed by weeks end.

The wife already wants to know what is next on the honey do list.

Watched a few movies, both were pretty good S.W.A.T. and Out of Time.

Tyler Howell
01-19-2004, 1:02 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis Peacock]Well....I guess I'm gonna have to grow me a few more of those "money trees". :)

Dennis does that money tree grow up here in the frozen north? I have a spot all picked out for it.

This weekend:
Finished the bay window install. A little breezy with the wall missing. This was it last Saturday.:eek: Played with photo software.:) Made an avatar for SMC;) Learned to attach pictures to SMC.:D Got in trouble attaching a picture to SMC:( Cleaned the shop and hung some new task lights for the scms station.;) Had a lovely evening with a charming young lady.:cool:
Have a good week. Mine has started out great.

Jim Becker
01-19-2004, 2:50 PM
Not much woodworking other than turning the Spalted Beech bowl I posted about, but I did get the MM-16 up and running. I also started reconfiguring the area where the "new" DC closet is going by moving some storage racks temporarily and closing up a window opening next to my lumber rack. I'm upgrading the cyclone shortly and this physical change to the shop will not only help with cleaner routing of the duct work from the machine, but also provide a little more space in the shop for the Stubby 750 lathe that's on a truck "as we speak". This change also makes for better storage for turning blanks as it will free up the top rack of the lumber rack for flat goods. It also means I can build some real shop cabinets in the other side of the shop for better storage of smaller tools and materials...something that is seriously lacking in my shop.

LOML and I also got to try out the new home theater system I bought her. She was somewhat unhappy that we rarely go to the movies. Netflix is just the "ticket" to fix that and a heck of a lot less expensive. It was also time to retire the old Sony that I've had since 1982. (I'm giving it to my brother for his new apartment now that he's back out on his own)

Tyler Howell
01-19-2004, 3:03 PM
Great Stool Eric,

Scott, Very conscious of avatars these days. Can you share your feelings while creating yours? Nice cabinets.