PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Help

Brian Tillinghast
07-19-2007, 2:38 PM
I need some help. I'm ,finally, working on a old built-in hutch that I got out of a parsonage years ago. I was planning to rebuild the drawers using dovetails. The drawer fronts are overlay with a 3/8 rabbet. Originally, the 1/2" sides were just butted (nailed) against the rabbet. I don't want to lose the 1" width, if I was to make a full DT drawer -use orig. fronts as a false front. That would leave an UGLY 1/2 x 3/8" gap. I was thinking that my best bet might be to DT the back and use Miller Mini's to attach the sides to the fronts. My question , enough rambling, will the Minis work. I believe their max dia is 1/4 , right? That only leaves 1/16" support around the dowel, if I can drill it straight. Any other ideas, without compromising drawer dimensions? Thanks ,Brian

Gilbert Vega
07-19-2007, 4:15 PM
If the rabbet fits inside the cabinet case, you could either add a filler piece to cover the rabbet then build the dovetailed drawers or sand off the back of the drawer front to eliminate the rabbet and attach the drawer.

jason lambert
07-19-2007, 4:49 PM
Just another idea I usally use the cmt draw bit when I need to do that. It is not a dove tail it is a specific draw lock joint but you simply cut the frount deeper than the back to give you the overhang.

Brian Tillinghast
07-19-2007, 5:57 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Gilbert, I had thought about fillers, but didn't think it would look right-might try it on one and see how it looks. Had also thought about resawing the fronts-new BS, not very experienced,don't want to screw them up. Jason, I don't think that would work, unless I used 3/4" for the sides, right? I guess what I really wanted to know is if you guys think leaving 1/16" at the front edge of the sides would be OK?
(3/8 "d rabbet-1/4" miller mini) Thanks

Gilbert Vega
07-19-2007, 8:42 PM
Brian, do you have a planar or a drum sander? They could be used to remove the rabbeted section if you're not comforatable with the bandsaw. Make sure to use double stick tape on a flat board to hold the short pieces down.

Good luck on your project.