PDA

View Full Version : Night stands

Mark Singer
07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I have been working on the oak night tables. There is a drawer that miters into the cabinet leaving just a line,. This is an old detail I have used, but I am not sure I ever posted it. It requires some carefull table saw work. The sides and carcass top are cut from one piece. These are construction photos...there are still marks and very little finishing has been done. The drawer elements "float' over a solid oak base and then the stainless legs go below. The best way to cut the shorter miters is on a sled where you adjust the blade to 45 degrees. Another pointer is first cut 1/8" over the line and then cut the line. The blade spins freely since it is not trapped in the material. This way there is less resistance and no burning in hard wood. You probably knew that???

Mark Singer
07-19-2007, 11:26 AM
more stuff...

Jim Becker
07-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Those are moving along quickly, Mark...

Brian Penning
07-19-2007, 1:37 PM
Really like that drawer design.
No concerns with expansion of the drawer faces standing proud of the drawer carcass?

Jeffrey Makiel
07-19-2007, 1:52 PM
I've seen full overlay, half overlay and inset. Now there's the 'Singer Inset'. :)

Once again, a nice clean lookin' contemporary piece.

-Jeff :)

Craig Thompson
07-19-2007, 2:02 PM
unique design.. looks nice... Please repost when complete

Greg Funk
07-19-2007, 6:29 PM
Very nice Mark. I like that design.

Did you use anything to align the top and sides? Biscuits splines etc.

thanks,

Greg

Mark Singer
07-19-2007, 8:34 PM
Very nice Mark. I like that design.

Did you use anything to align the top and sides? Biscuits splines etc.

thanks,

Greg

There are some tricks to greatly improve the accuracy. The sides and top are cut from the same piece to keep the grain continuous.. Once the top miters are sawn the size is set. Then the bottom is cut. Here it is a 3/4" piece of MDF. The length must be exactly the size of the top from short point to short point on the miter. This bottom piece has pocket holes (Kreg ) and is first attched to the sides, Then the top is set and aligned using clamps in both directions...a few small brads are shot in from the sides. When the glue drys it is solid and well alligned. Bisquits are often difficult to align and I don,t like them in this aplication.

Dave Morris
07-19-2007, 8:56 PM
Very nice, Mark. I like it!

Is the top/sides one piece cut into three shorter pieces, or a glue up of multiple pieces which, when cross cut, then become the three pieces of the top and sides? The reason I'm asking is this design of yours presents a unique opportunity--- by gluing up a wider piece (or being lucky enough to have/find a wider piece), you could cross cut the sides off, then rip the front from the top, and have a "waterfall" grain pattern in relation to the top on both the sides AND the front. With the right choice of figured or bookmatched wood, it could make for a very interesting and beautiful use of grain.

<<<You probably knew that???>>>

Nope, I dinna. Danka.

Mark Singer
07-19-2007, 9:44 PM
Very nice, Mark. I like it!

Is the top/sides one piece cut into three shorter pieces, or a glue up of multiple pieces which, when cross cut, then become the three pieces of the top and sides? The reason I'm asking is this design of yours presents a unique opportunity--- by gluing up a wider piece (or being lucky enough to have/find a wider piece), you could cross cut the sides off, then rip the front from the top, and have a "waterfall" grain pattern in relation to the top on both the sides AND the front. With the right choice of figured or bookmatched wood, it could make for a very interesting and beautiful use of grain.

<<<You probably knew that???>>>

Nope, I dinna. Danka.

Dave,
I made a coffee table on SMC which was done exactly as you stated. All 4 sides fold down and miter. You are very sharp to think of that. Some of these are not traditional techniques, however you can achieve results that are increadible.....look at the appearance of mass with just 4/4 material on this table below...
[
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34542&highlight=coffee+table

Dave Morris
07-19-2007, 11:12 PM
look at the appearance of mass with just 4/4 material on this table below...
[
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34542&highlight=coffee+table

Whoa! (enlarges screen res of pics to 200%, then squints at screen while examining grain match)

I see you have already thought of that, in spades. Awesome. Not only beautiful, but that table truly captures the essence of "presence".

Charles Jackson III
07-20-2007, 8:45 PM
Very nice work!

Don Bullock
07-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Mark, I continue to be amazed and inspired by your work and greatly appreciate your willingness to share your projects here. Thank you.