PDA

View Full Version : Copywrite infringment

James Carpenter
01-19-2004, 11:24 AM
I by no means want to put any type of damper on this noteworthy endeavor, but i am curious about copywrite infringment. I did a search on yahoo and came up with a couple of people that call their pens "freedom pens". Could this be a future problem? I do not know, but maybe it is something one of the members of SawMillCreek might know.

Ken Salisbury
01-19-2004, 11:38 AM
I by no means want to put any type of damper on this noteworthy endeavor, but i am curious about copywrite infringment. I did a search on yahoo and came up with a couple of people that call their pens "freedom pens". Could this be a future problem? I do not know, but maybe it is something one of the members of SawMillCreek might know.
I don't think we have a problem since those are actually called "Enduring Freedom Pens" in reference to 9-11. At least that is all my search efforts turned up.

James Carpenter
01-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Yes i saw that, i also found a news article where a student body made "freedom pens" for children overseas. http://www.aaoh.org/press_destination.htm
I just know how sue happy this nation has gotten and hate to see this project in trouble over something minor. Just wish i could do something more than small financial donations but LOML shot down the new lathe idea after i spent so much on all of WWW going out of business sale.

Tyler Howell
01-19-2004, 12:29 PM
No good deed goes unpunished!:(
I was really excited watching this great event unfold before my eyes then to think there could be a snag because of the name.
Not a turner myself, I’m very proud of you Wood
Wizards taking on this task.;)
Thanks, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Daniel Yourdon
01-19-2004, 1:28 PM

My web sight may be one of those that came up in your search.
I found out about this effort because it is being passed on to other penturning groups.
from the start I didn't get the impression that you ar producing a specific pen named the "Freedom Pen" which I have on my sight. My Freedom pen is a specific style and design as well as color of pen.
and in actuallity this group will have them in a few days as I am sending all of them to you for this effort.

your effort comes across to me as an effort named the "Freedom Pen" Effort.
I wouldn't suggest you tag the "cross" name onto anything but freedom Pen I wouldn't think is a registrable term in this case as it is not representing a specific Pen design.

Keith Outten
01-19-2004, 4:15 PM
Ours is a program we have labeled the SawMill Creek Freedom Pens. Our pens will not all be the same, in fact everyone making pens is free to use any design or material they prefer. We have only specified that each pen be hand crafted or custom pens.

We will have a new logo that will combine the SawMill Creek logo with a pen and some additional text. This should define our program and prevent any misconceptions of who we are and what our program is about.

Our new logo will be copy protected and its use will be controlled by written authorization to protect our program and the hard work of the people involved.

This is a non-profit program, we are not intentionally trying to capitalize on anyone elses copywrite or legal property. I think our intent is very clear and that it is unlikely we will have a problem that couldn't be resolved.