PDA

View Full Version : Trucking and Sawing

Paul Zonneveld
07-19-2007, 10:23 AM
I recently found out that my parents in PA are cutting down 25 cherry and ash trees on their new property. These are trees with trunks ranging from about 12 inches to 20 inches. My folks are saving many of the larger trunk sections for me and some of the branch sections. Would it be worth it to find a way to get several of these logs from PA to Arizona where I live and have them cut up for me? if so has anyone transported logs like this? I am not sure who I would even contact to find out? Also does anyone know of someone in the Phoenix area that does sawing of logs?
Any help here is certainly appreciated.

Jim Becker
07-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Paul, it may be easier to transport if you have them sawn first and then strapped tight to a pallet to keep 'em flat. That way you're only transporting (and paying for) usable lumber for the trip. It's also likely to be easier to find a local sawyer in PA than in the Phoenix area I suspect...check with Woodmizer to see who they have with machines in either location.

Paul Zonneveld
07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah Jim I agree, and in just talking around the water cooler one of the guys I work with has an uncle in Pittsburgh that has sawmill capability. Starting to feel a plan comming together!

Jim O'Dell
07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I cant help with specifices, but another question for you to consider and check into. Would it be cheaper to mill the wood in your parent's area, then ship only the dimensioned wood. That way it would stack into a tight bundle, and you wouldn't be paying for shipping the weight of the scrap. Another question, how well will wet wood transport? Should it be dried first? Interensting situation. Hope you can find a way to get some of the wood! If not you, maybe a woodworker close to your parents could get some. Jim.

note, I'm not anywhere close to PA !!!:D

I hate it when I'm late!:p Sounds like a plan coming together Paul.

Tyler Purcell
07-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Where in PA are they located, Paul?

Paul Zonneveld
07-19-2007, 11:49 AM
They are located in Venetia PA. Its a new house and I have never been there but its just South of Pittsburgh.

Tyler Purcell
07-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Ah, I see. I wish I could help you out - but I'm in eastern PA.