PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished Tools Worth the Money?

Ken Frohnert
07-19-2007, 6:37 AM
I noticed that you can save some money by buying factory refurbished tools - in some cases almost 50% and they come with the warranty. I guess these are defective new tools that have been returned and then repaired so they cannot be sold as new. Has anyone had any experiences with buy these refurbished tools?

Doug Shepard
07-19-2007, 6:53 AM
I've bought two (a DeWalt ROS and a Bosch right angle drill) and not had problems with either. These might be ones returned for repair but also could be nothing more than I changed my mind returns but had to be sent back to the manufacturer to be repackaged or for missing manuals/warantee cards, etc.

scott spencer
07-19-2007, 7:05 AM
Each one is different, but I've had good luck both times I've purchased refurbs. One was like new, the other looked used but worked well.

As long as they're being sold from a reputable company that you're comfortable with, and there's a valid warranty, it's a great way to save some tool money.

Ken Werner
07-19-2007, 7:06 AM
I've bought a Milwaukee router and a PC belt sander both from Amazon. The router had an adjusting knob with a crack, and Amazon sent me a replacement router, with no charge for return shipping. The sander was perfect. I'd do it again without hesitation, if they have a refurb tool available, when I need it.

Ken

Sean Kinn
07-19-2007, 7:13 AM
Yep, I've had great luck with a lot of Dewalt refurbs. In fact both of my refurb nailers could have passed for new. Like another poster mentioned I suspect many of them are "changed my mind" returns, or possibly units that failed initial inspection at the factory that were set aside to be fixed and sold at a later date.

Rich Engelhardt
07-19-2007, 7:15 AM
Hello,
My $.02 on refurbs.
Refurb's can be a lot like used. If you know what you want and what to look for, they can be a great value.
If you don't know what specifics to look for then "let the buyer beware" applies.

(On a related note:
I've installed hundreds of "refurbed" computer hard drives.
Most performed as well (or poorly) as their new in box counterparts.)

New = mass production with often cursory inspection.
Refurb = one on one attention to details and often a more thorough inspection before it leaves the center.

In many cases, a refurb can be better built, better tested than a "brand new" piece.

Unfortunately, some things are just a poor design &/or poor idea.
(Going back to the above hard drives, the ancient 80MB full height MFM hard drive was simply a terrible design. New or rebuilt, they only lasted 6 months - tops)

Personally, I tend to avoid (most) refurbed tools (and used also) simply because I lack the experience to know what to look for.

Randal Stevenson
07-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Hello,
My $.02 on refurbs.
Refurb's can be a lot like used. If you know what you want and what to look for, they can be a great value.
If you don't know what specifics to look for then "let the buyer beware" applies.

(On a related note:
I've installed hundreds of "refurbed" computer hard drives.
Most performed as well (or poorly) as their new in box counterparts.)

There are some brands I stay away from in the Refurbs, like Ridgid because the warranty isn't the same (can be real short in some cases). I also avoided after needing a cheap corded drill YEARS ago (planned on upgrading, but new house and poor), and bought a B&D Quantum refurb. DOA.
Since I have tried Bosch (been happy), and Porter cable (also happy).

As for Hard drives, I had a computer store that I both frequented and helped, that I used to buy dead, new hard drives from. I sent them in and got them warrantied. They are what most of my pc's operated on for quite some time.

Jim Becker
07-19-2007, 10:28 AM
I've had good results with the few refurbs I've purchased. As you say...full "new" warranty is normally the case, too. I suspect that a big percentage of "refurbs" are open-box returns, rather than defectives, too.

glenn bradley
07-19-2007, 11:22 AM
As Doug points out many of the 'refurbished' tools have just been re-checked to make sure they meet factory specs and were returned for reasons other than failures. I have a couple re-furb Bosch units that work perfectly, no sign that they were ever used before I got them.

Gary Herrmann
07-19-2007, 11:38 AM
I have a refurbed Delta drill press and have not had a single problem with it.

John Shuk
07-19-2007, 11:46 AM
I have a bunch of refurbs from Delta and Milwaukee. No problem whatsoever especially when you factor the savings.

Barry Anderson
07-19-2007, 4:39 PM
Over the past decades, I've had excellent luck with referb equipment. I have bought it, not only for woodworking, but for all of my other "hobbies" and have never been dissappointed.

You must remember, on a production run only 1 in a hundred or thousand, or even less is QC'd. Every referb is QC'd.

Barry in WV

George Leicht
07-19-2007, 4:46 PM
I would always take a refurbished tool if I had a chance. Having worked in Makita and Chicago Pneumatic service centers, I know that refurbs are often better than new. They often have newer design replacement parts in them, and they have been examined and repaired one at a time by people who know what they're doing.
George

Dick Holt
07-19-2007, 5:24 PM
In the last 6 months, I have purchased a cordless drill (new), 2 nail guns (refurbished) and a corded 3/8" drill (refurbished). All were DeWalt.I bet you can't guess which one I had trouble with. Right, the new one (needed a new clutch). All the refurbished tools look and run like new. I have bought other refurbished tools in the past and have not had one problem with any of them. Savings can be substantial, approx. 50 pct. off the nailers!

Dick

Bruce Wrenn
07-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Refurbs also can be returned from a retailer who no longer carries this product. Brand new, but because it has been in someone's inventory, it isn't considered new. Recently bought a digital camera this way, half the cost of "new". Almost all of my power tools are certified preowned- That means used. "Certified preowned" can't you tell it is used? Why does someone have to certify that it is used?

Pete Janke
07-19-2007, 11:55 PM
I've had very good luck with a refurbished DeWalt 12 volt Impact Driver and a Ridgid OSS. I'm always on the lookout for a decent priced quality tool.

Dave Lehnert
07-19-2007, 11:58 PM
I have a friend that works for a major tool brand that I won't say who.
A lot of the reconditioned tools that you see are nothing more than "new" over stock tools they have. So why mark a tool Reconditioned when new? Because places like the big box stores get upset if they flood the market with tools selling for half at retail than what they paid cost for. Keeps everyone happy.

mark morton
07-20-2007, 12:24 AM
I bought a refurb PC compound miter saw from amazon. looked brand new out of the box however the lasers weren't working - at all. I fixed it myself -just a over crimped wire in the chaseway between the switch and the lasers. much cheaper than new, but a little disappointing from PC....
(it also had about 4 refurbished in Mexico stickers all over the place (?))

Ken Frohnert
07-20-2007, 8:22 AM
Great input. Looks like the majority give it a thumbs up.

Bruce Wrenn
07-20-2007, 10:15 PM
I bought a refurb PC compound miter saw from amazon. looked brand new out of the box however the lasers weren't working - at all. I fixed it myself -just a over crimped wire in the chaseway between the switch and the lasers. much cheaper than new, but a little disappointing from PC....
(it also had about 4 refurbished in Mexico stickers all over the place (?))Maybe it was refurbished to Mexican standards. It almost worked as described.