PDA

View Full Version : Water Meter Capacity

Jeffrey Makiel
07-18-2007, 8:28 PM
Does anybody know were I can find a chart that gives me the maximum water flow (gallons per minute) thru a 5/8" water meter for a given pressure and supply pipe size? The customer service agent at my water utility struggled to find the billing cost between 5/8", 3/4" and 1" meters, therefore, I did not have the feeling that she could answer this question...so I didn't ask. Google did not reveal anything either.

I know, I know, ...it's an odd question. Especially on a woodworking forum. But SMC'ers seem to be a talented and knowledgeable bunch.

thanks...Jeff :)

Jeffrey Makiel
07-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Oops...nevermind. I found my answer on a lawn sprinkler website.
-Jeff :)

David G Baker
07-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Jeff,
Don't keep us in suspense give us your answers, some of us may need the information too.

Jeffrey Makiel
07-19-2007, 1:07 PM
I'm installing an automatic lawn sprinkler system and need to know the maximum flow (gallons per minute) so I can figure out how many zones I need to install since I cannot water the entire property at once.

According to Hunter irrigation manual, they provide a chart that asks for your main supply pipe size and material (steel, copper or PVC), the static pressure which you measure with a guage, and the size of the meter (5/8", 3/4" and 1") which is stamped on the water meter. Then, using the chart, it gives you a maximum design flow.

In my case, 3/4" copper pipe, 52 psi and 5/8" meter will provide up to 8 gpm. If I change to a 3/4" meter, I can achieve 9 gpm, maybe even 10 gpm. It's a very modest gain because my 3/4" pipe is now the choke point. However, one of my zones is 9 gpm, so I may need this small improvement in flow. I'll wait and see how the systems works with the existing 5/8" meter upon finishing the sprinkler system installation. I may also divide the 9 gpm zone into two 4.5 gpm zones, but I'm gettin' tired of digging. :)

cheers, Jeff :)

David G Baker
07-19-2007, 3:56 PM
Thanks Jeff. I would always measure the gallons per minute after everything was installed with a gallon bucket and a stopwatch. The difference between 3/4" and 5/8" only picking up one gallon per minute doesn't seem like it would make it worth the extra expense. I have always tried to make my supply pipes 1", my feed pipes 3/4" and my risers 1/2". I haven't done any sprinkler systems in a while but when I was doing them I always used copper pipe for everything except the risers.
I am lucky on the digging on my present place in Michigan, I have 12"s of top soil over sand. Sure makes it easy when digging by hand.

Al Wasser
07-20-2007, 4:07 PM
You can do all that math but installing a sprinkler system is still a bit of art. I think you are better of with more zones than less if in doubt -- it just gives you more options. Realize too that the pressure, at least here varies with the time of day and season. This yr when I turned the sprinklers on they were shooting long, and now they are short because more folks are irrigating. My control box only goes for one week. Try to get one that goes for ten days at least, again it gives you more options for watering frequency.

victoria stiles
09-29-2011, 7:21 AM
Regular watering is the most important pre-condition for successfully maintaining a lawn through the long, hot, dry summer in Mediterranean climates. Lawns in Mediterranean climates require between 750 and 1000mm of irrigation water per year. Automatic sprinkler systems are the only effective means of both achieving satisfying results and managing the water resource efficiently. water should be applied at a rate at which it can be absorbed by the soil, without wastage from run-off.

Joe Pelonio
09-29-2011, 7:53 AM
The city will charge you for a larger meter install and most have a higher monthly charge. Seattle does charge the same for 5/8 and 3/4, but when I was in CA the 3/4 was about $5/mo more. Despite the additional digging, plastic pipe is cheap. I'd go for more zones and keep the 5/8" meter.

Brian Tymchak
09-29-2011, 9:26 AM
You can do all that math but installing a sprinkler system is still a bit of art. I think you are better of with more zones than less if in doubt -- it just gives you more options. Realize too that the pressure, at least here varies with the time of day and season. This yr when I turned the sprinklers on they were shooting long, and now they are short because more folks are irrigating.

+1 with what Al said. Make sure you take your pressure readings at the time(s) you plan to water. There can be quite a difference. Also, if by chance you live in an area that is growing, 2 years from now you may very well have lower pressure than you do today. Learned this first hand when they put in a new development across from ours and didn't upgrade the water supply. So, if you have this situation, the advice to add more zones (and more heads) is a good hedge.

:o Just realized someone had picked up on an old post.... Gets me everytime..

Tom Stenzel
09-29-2011, 9:15 PM
Meter rates vary widely.

Detroit residential meter rates:

5/8" meter $4.81 month
3/4" meter $7.22 month
1" meter $12.03 month

Livonia, MI residential meter rates:

5/8" meter charge $5.25 per quarter
3/4" meter charge $6.00 per quarter
1" meter charge $8.25 per quarter

Livonia is supplied by the Detroit Water system. In fact, both the houses I've owned, one in Detroit and now in Livonia are both fed by the Springwells water treatment plant.

Check your meter rates BEFORE you commit.

Even if this thead is years old!

-Tom Stenzel

Kevin W Johnson
09-29-2011, 9:32 PM
I'm guessing you guys didn't notice that this thread is 4+ years old. I feel sure his irrigation system is long done by now.

Ole Anderson
10-03-2011, 9:05 AM
Hey, 4 years ago I would have still been happy that I don't have to use my 5/8" meter to water my lawn. I suck it out of my canal with a 1.5 hp pump and do my whole 12,000 sf lawn with one zone. (Gloat!)