PDA

View Full Version : dewalt miter saw problem

frank shic
07-18-2007, 5:52 PM
the blade screw on my miter saw would loosen after every five-six cuts, requiring me to retighten the nut, so i temporarily fixed the problem with a lock washer which worked for several months but now i'm having to retighten the screw by hand again. any ideas on a more permanent solution?

Dave Sweeney
07-18-2007, 6:04 PM
You might want to give Loctite Threadlocker Blue a try. It's made to stop threaded connections from vibrating loose. It's a medium strength Loctite product so if you need to remove the screw later you can easily do that. I used it on the handles on my drill press and they haven't come loose yet.

frank shic
07-18-2007, 6:43 PM
i'll stop by home depot later this evening and pick up a bottle. thanks dave!

Paul Greathouse
07-18-2007, 7:27 PM
Frank

I don't know how to make a link to an existing thread but if you do a search on the General WW forum you will find a thread by Dan Lee that references a recall on the Dewalt Miter Saw blade nut. Its been a while since I read the recall but I believe there were at least a couple of people that had some serious injuries from the blade coming loose while in use.

James Suzda
07-18-2007, 7:45 PM
the blade screw on my miter saw would loosen after every five-six cuts, requiring me to re tighten the nut, so i temporarily fixed the problem with a lock washer which worked for several months but now I'm having to re tighten the screw by hand again. any ideas on a more permanent solution?
Hi,
That is a real pain to deal with that isn't it?:mad:
I was having the same problems with the bolt coming loose on my DeWalt CMS. It would come loose when using a "painted" DeWalt blade and also a painted Freud blade.
I noticed the original blade didn't have any paint where the washers came in contact with the blade, so I solved my problem by sanding the smooth paint where the washers contact to roughen up it up a little. This plus really tightening up the bolt seemed to fix the problem for me.
Jim

Greg Crawford
07-18-2007, 7:46 PM
Frank,

My friend has a 12" Dewalt, and I'm wondering if he needs to research the recall. Is yours a 10" or 12"? Thanks

frank shic
07-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Greg, I have the DW706 12" Dewalt Miter Saw - the DW704 was the one that was previously recalled. James, the Forrest Chopmaster doesn't have any paint on the blade unlike the Dewalt blades that you mentioned. You know what guys? I just stopped by the Vallejo Home Depot this evening and all they had was the RED Loctite! Arghh... Guess I'll have to try to Concord Home Depot.

Steve Clardy
07-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Try some pipe fitting thread tape Frank

frank shic
07-19-2007, 5:48 PM
pipe-fitting tape? well, it just so happens that i have at least two or three of those lying around somewhere... thanks steve!

Bruce Wrenn
07-19-2007, 11:30 PM
What is happening is when brake applies, blade slips in relationship to washer on arbor next to motor. Clean inner arbor washer, and sand blade with 100 grit paper in area where washers contact it. Leave slightly rough. This should stop problem. If blade uses the 5/8" X 1"bushing, also replace bushing- they are cheap. Outer washer can be deformed so as to no longer apply pressure around outer perimeter. Correct torque on a bolt- Tighten it till head snaps off, then back off a quarter turn. HA, ha.

frank shic
07-20-2007, 12:09 AM
bruce, that's a very good explanation - you speak with the voice of wisdom. i've often suspected that the brake has played a part in this annoyance... alright, first the tape, then the loctite and then bruce's technique. i'll let you guys know how this goes!

Dave Trask
07-20-2007, 4:34 AM
I can see your next post now!

Dewalt Miter Saw Problem.

Help!......Can't remove blade bolt!

Sorry, couldn't resist! :rolleyes:
Good suggestions all ! Hope you get'er fixed.

frank shic
07-20-2007, 11:46 AM
dave, actually my next post will be: how do i sharpen a miter saw blade that's stuck in the saw? ;)

Steve Clardy
07-20-2007, 9:49 PM
Well Frank.......................................

How did the fix go?

frank shic
07-21-2007, 12:46 AM
i just put the pipe fitting tape on the bolt and screwed it in nice and tight. once my girls are awake tomorrow morning, i'll fire it up a couple of times and see how it holds!

Chuck Lenz
07-21-2007, 11:04 AM
I think I would contact DeWalt about it and get a new bolt and washer from them. I have the older 12" compound saw and if I remember right they sent me a new bolt and washer awhile back. When I bought the saw new I registered it with them. I've never had a problem with it comeing loose, but I replaced it anyway.

frank shic
07-21-2007, 6:18 PM
Steve, the pipefitting tape worked! I just finished cutting a bunch of 2x6's for my father-in-law and so far, so good. Thanks for yet another suggestion, Chuck. If the blade does start coming loose again, it's nice to know that I've got quite a few options.

Steve Clardy
07-21-2007, 9:10 PM
Sounds great