PDA

View Full Version : What to do with shavings?

Randy Klein
07-18-2007, 5:50 PM
I've seen this question discussed a few times with regard to those chips in the dust collector. But what does the typical Neanderthal do with all those curly shavings? My floor is covered with them and it seems wrong to just bag 'em and trash 'em.

Jude Kingery
07-18-2007, 6:09 PM
Hi Randy,
We put the shavings in the garden as mulch, works well to keep moisture in here as we're normally pretty dry! They say any shavings - but NOT Walnut. Apparently that'll kill plants and stuff. So Walnut shavings I bag and trash. The rest of the other types of wood I turn I put in the gardens. Now on the Mesquite shavings, we use all those on the grill, pretty good eatin', that's for sure! And Mesquite is what I most often turn, so have plenty of shavings for the grill! Best to you, Jude

Mike Henderson
07-18-2007, 6:41 PM
I put them around the garden plants, also.

Mike

glenn bradley
07-18-2007, 6:52 PM
Compost or . . . got any neighbors with pet rodents? Kids at school got a hamster in the classroom? Soak 'em in cedar oil, stick 'em in a failed hollow form and make a woodworker's potpourri? ;-)

Andrew Williams
07-18-2007, 6:52 PM
Nothing is better tinder than plane shavings. Not even kerosene.

Brian Hale
07-18-2007, 6:57 PM
Since my shop is in the basement, i usually leave my shavings on the steps, in the kitchen, living room ........ :rolleyes:

LOML says the oak shavings work best under the blueberry bushes.

Brian :)

Gary Herrmann
07-18-2007, 8:25 PM
I agree with Andrew. I keep em in paper grocery bags to use as tinder during the fall and winter. And if you happen to have an nice pile of fruit wood shavings, you can get a fragrant fire.

Steve Clardy
07-18-2007, 9:57 PM
Garden mulch, walnut and all

Mike Herring
07-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Put them in a burlap bag, along with yard trimmings, and use them for archery targets?

Nancy Laird
07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
We pass them along to a friend who raises chickens. He uses DC chips and sawdust in the chicken coop. Apparently the chickens like them. He gets lots of eggs.

Nancy

John Shuk
07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
They work extremely well for tinder for fire lighting. if you have a friend who heats with wood he will be a happy friend if he gets them. One match fire lighting.

Tyler Howell
07-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Great Compost.

Don Orr
07-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I feed them to the Shaving Horse:eek: :D ;) .

Actually I give them to my wife's pottery friends who do Raku firing. One even said recently that she got the best results ever with my chips.

(I thought I posted this yesterday but did not see it today???)