PDA

View Full Version : First winged bowl?

Jeff Bower
07-18-2007, 1:43 PM
Can this be considered a winged bowl? It was a little scary getting the wings turned down, so I didn't get the wings very flat. This was made from the rest of the log from the bowl I posted last week here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61504

It's about 3inches high and 8" from tip to tip. Still don't know what type of wood it is. Critiques wanted.

Quinn McCarthy
07-18-2007, 1:55 PM
Looks great Jeff.

I really like the spiral effect from the top view.

Quinn

Mike Vickery
07-18-2007, 2:05 PM
Usually I would say that the huge difference in the size of the wing from the edge to near the bowl portion is a problem. Also the edge of the bowl portion seems really rounded over.

However with the gnarled aged look of the wood I kind of like it on this piece. It gives it the appearance that this could have been on a frontier home's coffee table (did they have coffee tables?). A very rustic and interesting looking piece.

Jeff Bower
07-18-2007, 2:12 PM
I now have a new way of making my turnings look better. They are rustic, it has nothing to do with lack of turning ability!!:D Thanks for that Mike!

Paul Engle
07-18-2007, 2:34 PM
Very nice, you are fortunate it did not come apart on you.the rustic look is great I tried that with some drift wood but the internal cracks let it come apart before getting the shape done . nice work