PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Woodturners

Burt Alcantara
07-18-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't know if you guys outside of Boise are aware that the Capitol Building is undergoing major renovation and rebuilding.

As a result, they have taken down some outstanding trees and making them available to Idaho Woodturners.

If you would like to get some of this wood contact Diane Blume located at this url.
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/boise/archive.asp?postID=5390

Hurry, you must get a Request for Proposal and submit by August 1st. The RFP looks like a typical gummint contract but one of our club members is on the selection panel and said to just tell them what you want to build and how much wood you'll need.

You'll have to come to Boise, site to be determined, to pick up the wood. You will have to deliver your finished work(s) to the Capitol. You will also be given wood for your own work.

Wood includes
Ohio Buckeye (planted 1911 by President Taft), Water Oak (planted by President Benjamin Harrison 1891), Schwedler Maple, Northern Red Oak, Red Oak, Rock Sugar Maple (Planted 1903 by Teddy Roosevelt), American Elm (over 100 years old), Oak, and Sycamore.

It kills me to think about the slaughter of these magnificent trees...but that's not for me to judge.

Burt

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Boy what a shame. Wow it is to bad they can't renovate around them. Shheessh.

Brian Brown
07-18-2007, 1:03 PM
Burt,

I applied a couple of months ago for a Request for Proposal form, but it is hard to know what can be made, or how much wood to request, because there is no indication of which woods will be available, and in what form. The materials I received stated that some or all of the wood would be sent for kiln drying (this would have had to happen already to meet the published time table), but no mention of the thickness(s) available. Also there is no way to find out if green logs are available. Too bad there is not a woodworker on the committee who understands the multiple ways the wood can be used, to assist in prepping this wood after they receive the project proposals. I'm glad they are trying to find a good use for the wood, but it sounds like a case of too many politicians and committees, rather that the good sense necessary to properly care for and distribute this wood.

If you know of a more detailed list of wood available in various sizes and forms, or know a contact for this project that has wood working knowledge, would you please pass it along.

Thanks,

Brian

Ralph Lindberg
07-18-2007, 5:06 PM
....American Elm (over 100 years old).....

Burt

That one just makes me want to cry, as rare as American Elm has become, cutting one down is almost a crime

Burt Alcantara
07-18-2007, 5:54 PM
Brian,
Wood reserved for turners are green logs from all of the trees listed in my first post. If you apply, you will get one or more logs of your choice, size dependent on your application submission. But you must give an estimate of what you want.

I'd say over estimate and make do. Not much else to say. Make anything you want. Write it down and send it in. I'd guess that in the course of the project you can change your mind and do something else, as long as it is a turning.

The kiln dried wood is for the flat landers. I imagine they have someone on the committee who has already arranged for dimensioning.

The green logs are already prepped with a site to be determined so get your application in now. Once the wood is distributed, that will be it. Note that the decisions will be made sometime during the week of 8/1 and possibly extended so if you're a few days late you may still make the distribution.

Burt