PDA

View Full Version : Sioux Screwdriver - Anyone Use One?

David Weaver
07-18-2007, 11:27 AM
A ww buddy of mine has the 8020ES, which is the corded electric positive clutch screwdriver made by Sioux Tools. I don't know if anyone else uses this, but it's a close-quarters type of deal.

I can't find one anywhere for a reasonable price. I did find a place that lists one for $276, but that price is out of line (closer to $200 is the norm for the places that *had* them but are sold out).

I'm guessing that nobody really uses these, or they would be stocked more.

I called Sioux, and they told me to order through Grainger or Fastenal, but the price from either of those is likely to be close to $300. Coastal tool could order it, but since they don't order from Sioux more than twice a year, they're kind of giving me the brush-off and don't look to want to deal with it - and I don't blame them, that's a lot of screwing around for one sale of one item they don't stock.

Anyone else know of any other electric positive clutch screwdriver that they like for woodworking - one that will work in close quarters, but is good enough quality to use when it's not close quarters work?

Mike Cutler
07-18-2007, 11:34 AM
The Sioux is a very nice electric screw driver. Milwaukee used to have a version also.
I've never used the siuox for woodworking, but it's worked well in some fairly harsh industrial applications.
A much cheaper alternative is a right angle adapter for corded, or cordless drills. Once again, Milwaulkee has a nice one., I've seen one from an off brand in the local BORG, but I was suspect of it's quality.
Milwaukee also makes a cordless scredriver that folds to a 90 degree angle. It won't take a huge amount of abuse, but if the holes are pre-drilled, or tapped, it will work well.

I hate to sound like a Milwaukee salesman, but they do have nice tools.;)

Michael Schwartz
07-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Bosch has a 10.8 volt cordless lithium Ion right angle close quarters screwdriver. The Bosch 10.8V Litheo I-Driver can be found for under well under 150 bucks, and it should drive pretty much any screw, and it is probably the most compact option.

David Weaver
07-18-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't want to start a "made in the US" war, and I'm not a union employee, but it looks like a lot of the corded milwaukee tools are still made in the US, as are the Sioux tools.

I don't have any real reference to make that stick as a must for a tool other than my experience with some of the lower priced tools that used to be US made and are now made in mexico or china (some of the craftsman hand drills and B&D stuff). I had a cheap craftsman made in the US drill that I abused for 15 years, made it do things it isn't supposed to do, and I finally broke it the other day. Johnny homeowner might not pay extra for that, but I sure will.

Jim McCarty
07-18-2007, 1:50 PM
I have both the Sioux and a brand new Milwaukee. I actually like the Sioux best because the chuck is keyless. The new Milwaukee has a little better switch than the older model or the Sioux. Not better quality, but better ergonomics. I use them both for woodworking and they're great. Lots of power, smooth, easy to manuever. I may be willing to sell one if you need one. The sioux is 2-3 years old and in great shape, the Milwaukee is brand new.

David Weaver
07-18-2007, 1:58 PM
Jim - it sounds like you have a keyless chuck drill, or am I misunderstanding that and what you have is intended soley for 1/4th inch driver bits and has a positive clutch? I attached a picture of the most recent Sioux version of the tool, which should differ pretty much only by the plastic housing.

If it's the latter, I'm definitely interested. I'm not so much interested in the ergonomics since my woodworking is no more than a couple of hours a week, and driving screws is a small part of it.

It's one of those things where when you need it, you need it, though.

Cody Colston
07-18-2007, 4:56 PM
I had a Sioux close quarters corded drill with a keyed chuck that I used for sanding on the lathe...with dust collection going, too. I paid $150+ for it and it lasted 2 years before one of the bearings went out and it melted the plastic casing.

I chunked it in the trash and ordered a $35 Asian made one of the same size and configuration. I'll bet I get at least two years out of it for a lot less bucks.

David Weaver
07-18-2007, 5:39 PM
I can't say too much for the rest of the drill, I don't think I'd want the drill version of the same thing - it's the trick clutch slapped onto a close quarters drill body that makes it great for driving screws when you're making something.

My immediate need is to fasten the top of a bookcase to a carcass - the shelf height doesn't allow a regular drill/driver to fit, and the trick clutch on the sioux screwdriver makes it easy to drive screws without them going all over the place - even if you don't have the best grip on things.

As a drill to be used a lot, I don't think it'd be a great tool - it's geared low and it's only 3 1/2 amps.

Don Bullock
07-18-2007, 5:53 PM
I realize that some don't like Craftsman tools, but I have the Craftsman 4.0 volt Lithium Cordless Screwdriver. It may be a "less expensive" way to go. I'm not sure if it will do what you want.
Link:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Portable+Power+Tools&pid=00911316000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Power+Screwdrivers+%26+Screwguns&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Description:
This cordless screwdriver with case from Craftsman features a 1/4 in. hex collet chuck, a 22-position clutch and an automatic spindle lock. Comes with cradle and charger, two double-ended screwdriver bits, hardware, owners manual, 21 bits - 1/4 in. bit holder, four 25 mm. Phillips (P0, P1, P2, P3), four 25 mm. Slotted (4-6 mm., 6-8 mm., 8-10 mm., 10-12 mm.), four Robertson (R0, R1, R2, R3), four Allen (H3/32 in., H1/8 in., H5/32 in., H3/16 in.) and four Torx ( T15, T20, T25, T30) bits.

4 volt lithium battery pack provides power & longer run time
Adjustable 2-position handle allows for greater versatility
1/4 in. hex collet accepts standard nut/screw driver bits
Adjustable torque clutch permits selection of proper driving torgue needed for various jobs
Automatic spindle lock automatically locks collet to allow manual tightening
Integrated worklight provides direct light source to work area
LED Charge Indicator illuminates when tool is chargingSears also sells a 7.2 volt (I know volts are over rated) screwdriver, a B&D Compact Driver and a DW cordless screwdriver.