PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly Bandsaws on their website

Terry Stellman
07-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Grizzly has started updating their website with the new bandsaws that were discussed a couple weeks ago. The biggest news, I guess, is they now have a 17" that they want to use as competition against the European saws.

Terry

Dave MacArthur
07-18-2007, 11:16 AM
I've been waiting for this for weeks... I just woke up, and was all over the Grizzley site, and can't find anything new on front page OR under woodworking bandsaws ? :( Could you give a pointer?
Thanks!

Terry Stellman
07-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Click on Wood Bandsaws at BOTTOM of Homepage.

Dan Stuewe
07-18-2007, 1:25 PM
took a bit of digging, and the pictures wern't up yet, but ...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0514X2

I also saw a couple of 17" saws G0513X2 ($950 - $25 less than G0513X!) and G0636X ($1995).

The manuals have more info.

Noah Vig
07-18-2007, 2:48 PM
photo's are up now. Photo of cast trunnion on 513x2 page.

Grady Cowardin
07-18-2007, 2:58 PM
How much does a wood and a metal bandsaw have in common? Are there metal cutting blades that fit on a wood cutting bandsaws drum/drives? I do the occasional metal fab and will keep that in mind when it becomes bandsaw purchase time. Thanks for any info.

Sean Kinn
07-18-2007, 3:30 PM
Anyone know if the 14" saws are going to be updated (especially with the cast iron trunions), or just the 17"?

Jeff A. Smith
07-18-2007, 3:59 PM
Nice saws. I like the cast iron wheels on the 17 with the grizzly bear heads for "spokes." Ha! Nice touch!

Dave MacArthur
07-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Wow, GREAT bandsaws! I'd sure love to hear some input from some MM16 owners on their thoughts on the Grizzley 17" Ultimate Bandsaw, 16" resaw, it really looks like another jump up in quality for Grizzley! Made to compete with the euro saws. It is 5HP/220v/22 amps, so would be a dedicated 30A line, which most folks would have to wire in.

It looks like the 513X2 is $25 less than the X, but it looks to be a bit better? Cast iron trunnion, cast wheels.
Then there is also a 17" wood/metal bandsaw with a 2hp "3 phase inverter motor that runs on 220 single phase...", with RPM from 100 and up... what do folks think about THIS one? I had never considered a metal cutting bandsaw, as I do very little in metal, but if it didn't detract from the saw's ability to do wood?

Dave MacArthur
07-19-2007, 2:56 AM
It doesn't look like the ShopFox versions have anything new... I was hoping to see the same improvments on the ShopFox, to be able to boy local and support a dealer locally...

Terry Stellman
07-19-2007, 8:02 AM
These new saws did not help me make a decision about what to buy like I had hoped they would. The new 17" is priced so closely to the MM16 Mini Max that it makes that decision difficult. On the one hand it is about $200 cheaper when things like mobile bases are added in, but you have to know that if for some reason you wanted to resell the MM16 would sell faster and for a higher price than the Chinese(Taiwan) copy. I was also disappointed to see a $200 price increase on the 514X2 over the 514x and still only have 12" of cutting height. Oh well, keep hoping for a local used machine I guess.

Terry

Jack Briggs
07-19-2007, 8:55 AM
That Grizzly G0636X is sweet! 16" resaw capability is what I'd be taking advantage of regularly. Minimax is certainly established as far as quality, but I wonder about parts and service versus Grizzly??

Mark Rios
07-19-2007, 9:52 AM
How much does a wood and a metal bandsaw have in common? Are there metal cutting blades that fit on a wood cutting bandsaws drum/drives? I do the occasional metal fab and will keep that in mind when it becomes bandsaw purchase time. Thanks for any info.

Grady, I've read it here in the Creek that doing metal cutting AND wood cutting on the same bandsaw can lead to some problems in the form of metal bits getting into the wood. Even blowing the BS off after cutting metal isn't a guarantee that one can remove all of the metal bits.

Perhaps someone can add more information...........

Montgomery Scott
07-19-2007, 12:22 PM
The Grizzly saw also only has a one year warranty compared to the two year for the MM. I noticed the manual does not state where it is made. I assume Taiwan, but if it were China there is no way I would consider buying it. Also, for me there is no cost advantage to the Grizzly since I would have to pay another $170 in sales tax bringing it on par with the MM16.

Noah Katz
07-19-2007, 2:13 PM
Originally Posted by Grady Cowardin http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=623745#post623745)

Often it's the same saw except that there's a speed reducer for metal.

Grady Cowardin
07-19-2007, 3:09 PM
That's a good point Mark. I did some grinding/cutting on a piece of flatbar recently to make a bracket and you are right, those metal bits are all over my work bench. Once shards become pressed into wood that's no fun at all.

Bruce Page
07-19-2007, 7:24 PM
That's a good point Mark. I did some grinding/cutting on a piece of flatbar recently to make a bracket and you are right, those metal bits are all over my work bench. Once shards become pressed into wood that's no fun at all.

Grady, you can cut non-ferrous metals like aluminum and brass with a wood cutting bandsaw. Because of the high surface speed you cannot cut steel or cast iron.
I used to cut aluminum on my old 14” Delta with an off the shelf Delta blade, it’ll make a big mess but you can clean it up pretty easily.

Dave MacArthur
07-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Bump. No more comments from folks on these outstanding new bandsaws? Any comments on the new 17" Ultimate Bandsaw in comparison to MM16 etc., from someone who saw one at the AWFS (hopefully)?

These really seem to be some great additions to the griz line up, cast iron trunions, footbrake, etc... Who SAW these things already?
Thx!