PDA

View Full Version : platter-o- scrap segments

mike fuson
07-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I done this piece entirely out of scrap segments left over from other pieces. I have never seen one done like this, I just thought it up and decided to try it, I'm sure others have done it I just ain't seen it. All walnut and maple, measures 17 1/2 wide, antique oil finish.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/segplatter.jpg

Dennis Peacock
07-18-2007, 1:22 AM
Beautiful Mike!!!! :cool:
I like it a lot.

Mike Vickery
07-18-2007, 1:27 AM
I like it, very interesting

Brett Baldwin
07-18-2007, 2:32 AM
Reminds me of a kaleidoscope. Nice recycling job there.

Harvey M. Taylor
07-18-2007, 3:05 AM
It is intriguing to say the least. Wish I could do something like that. Good use of scrap.

joe greiner
07-18-2007, 6:45 AM
Very, very interesting, Mike. I think I figured out most of the assembly sequence, but how'd you cut the arcs to receive successive parts? Seems too big for off-center turning, and hard to cut accurately with a band saw or scroll saw. Even match cuts on a tilted table would be tricky to get perfectly circular. Or have I missed the boat completely?

Joe

Paul Heely
07-18-2007, 7:05 AM
Nice use of all the left overs. Its pretty cool looking.

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2007, 1:17 PM
Awesome Mike. That is a beauty.

Randy Rhine
07-18-2007, 3:12 PM
Maybe a fly-cutter on a drill press?

Very, very interesting, Mike. I think I figured out most of the assembly sequence, but how'd you cut the arcs to receive successive parts? Seems too big for off-center turning, and hard to cut accurately with a band saw or scroll saw. Even match cuts on a tilted table would be tricky to get perfectly circular. Or have I missed the boat completely?

Joe

Paul Engle
07-18-2007, 3:23 PM
ah, Picaso at heart, very impressinistic at the very least. well done reminds me of my physco delic days:eek: ..... :D I like it a lot ! Nice work.

Jeffrey Fusaro
07-18-2007, 4:07 PM
wow! sweet!

very creative.

Jim Becker
07-18-2007, 8:25 PM
Oh, man...that's a great idea and a super execution of the same!

Curt Fuller
07-18-2007, 10:17 PM
I really like that! That looks like an amazing amount of work in it too. That's really cool and unique.

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Wow! Very nice Mike! Great concept and creation! I love the fact that I have never seen anything like it before - congrats on that!!

Neal Addy
07-18-2007, 11:00 PM
Spectacular, Mike! This is fascinating to look at. I won't even try to figure out how you did it... I'll just enjoy it.

Richard Madison
07-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Howcum it's on its side instead of right-side-up?

mike fuson
07-19-2007, 1:34 AM
Thanks guys ,

Joe, I first glued up the segments, then made them round by bandsaw and a floor model belt sander. Lay one over the other and mark it out, cut it out, and then sand the ark to fit the other. Clamp, wait, and then repeat the process. You could go on and on with this and make it as big as you wanted it.

joe greiner
07-19-2007, 6:54 AM
Thanks, Mike. That boosts the WOW factor even more. I've used "blueprinting" to match only two pieces, and that alone can be quite purgatorial. Your patience is amazing, and definitely paid off here. Reminds me of stained glass somehow.

Just in case the term is confusing to others, "blueprinting" has nothing to do with pretty pictures. Smear one surface with a colored medium, press or rub against the other, and sand off the transferred marks, which have been "printed" by the first piece. Repeat as many times as needed to achieve a good fit. Very tedious. In the metal trades, they used blue layout ink, hence the terminology. But of course it doesn't have to be blue, and doesn't have to be ink. Crayon works well, and doesn't need drying time. To avoid staining the first piece, probably best to just burnish the interface, one piece against the other, and sand the polished parts of both pieces.

Spectacular work, Mike, and thanks again.

Joe

Bob Hallowell
07-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Mike,
That looks nice I would try that again If I were you. Very Sharp!

Bob