PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Dan West
07-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Evening Folks,

I have been in lurk mode for a while and thought it time to introduce myself. I have been a wood hack for many years but recently took the plunge into furniture making and ave increased my tool collection and knowledge greatly over the last few months. Having began the journey I realized that hand tools play an important part of this genre of woodworking and hence my interest in planes, scrapers, etc. Now my Granddad was a carpenter and I have a couple of his tool boxes in the garage so last Sunday I finally dug them out to see what was there.

I found 10 planes which I think are; 2 - No 9 1/2s, No 3, No 101, No, K192, No 98, and one yet to be identified (it has a very narrow blade maybe a quarter of an inch, No 51 and No 60 Spokeshave. I also have one of the wife's grandfather's wooden plane made by Marples and Son in England as he was a carpenter there. There is one other tool box I have yet to get to, oh, also there was a brace and bits, and several other neat finds. I say all of this because I know that there will be many questions I have as I tune and use these tools. I want to ultimately restore them to like new as well. Here is a picture of the unidentified plane and a couple of others as well.

Well the pictures didn't work so I'll try to figure out what went wrong and try again later.

Dan

Dan West
07-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Well here is a couple of pics, I guess that they need to be smaller file sizes.

Dan

Clint Jones
07-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Is the one you cant identify with the narrow blade the first picture you posted with the ornate handle. I believe its a No.50 light combination plane.

Ron Brese
07-18-2007, 7:22 AM
Welcome Dan,

My name is Ron and I'm a planeaholic. Soon you will be too!

Ron Brese

Dan West
07-18-2007, 6:51 PM
Clint, yes that is the one I don't know about but I will see if I can confirm that it is a No 50.

Thanks,

Dan