PDA

View Full Version : Yew Pen

Mike A. Smith
07-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I probably should have saved this blank for one of the 'good' pen kits, but I couldn't wait. This is a piece of Yew that came with my starter kit. The pen is a KC twist, satin nickel. I'm going to see my brother this weekend and I wanted to turn him one to add on to his birthday present. I'm glad I told LOML upfront that this blank was for him or he would never have seen it. (I may still have to keep it at the office until we leave.)

Patrick Taylor
07-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Nice job! Great wood. I like the photo too.

Finish?

Mike A. Smith
07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Still just friction polish and Liberon wax. I haven't had a chance to experiment with the BLO/CA yet and I wasn't gonna play around on this one!

Speaking of CA, I read the article you suggested. Do you change speeds the way he describes? I got belts, I can't see me going back and forth on the RPM's alot. Guess I'll try to come up with my own system. I've got all the stuff and big box of maple...

Patrick Taylor
07-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Still just friction polish and Liberon wax. I haven't had a chance to experiment with the BLO/CA yet and I wasn't gonna play around on this one!

Speaking of CA, I read the article you suggested. Do you change speeds the way he describes? I got belts, I can't see me going back and forth on the RPM's alot. Guess I'll try to come up with my own system. I've got all the stuff and big box of maple...

Hey, whatever works!

Do you mean the video that demonstrates the BLO/CA method? I have belts too. I turn the pen around 2500-3000 rpm, and used to do the CA/BLO at that speed too. Now that I've gone back to it, I'm dropping the lathe speed to ¬1000 rpm for samding and CA/BLO application. I might speed it up for burnishing, but that's it. I've had better success with the CA at that speed.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Very nice pen Mike! What little yew I"ve turned has been good easy turning wood.

Bonnie Campbell
07-18-2007, 1:15 AM
Beautiful looking pen Mike! What was the pen kit?

joe greiner
07-18-2007, 6:16 AM
Very well done, Mike. It certainly doesn't need any further finishing. Looks like it's resting on another chunk of yew? Was that part of the kit?

I second the motion of yew being nice to turn. (Warning: gloat follows.) My next-door neighbor had a large podocarpus (yew) removed. I rescued the larger branch and trunk portions from the chopper pile. So far, I've made a small goblet that didn't need any sanding, cut some bowl blanks, gave a couple logs to a fellow member of our turning club; still have a few logs unworked.

Joe

Paul Heely
07-18-2007, 7:10 AM
Nice looking pen Mike. I have a VS lathe. When I do the CA/BLO finish I use 500 RPM to sand, apply the CA/BLO and to buff off the excess BLO. I only increase the speed after the final coat of finish. I think as long as you are not slinging the finish off or getting little raised nubs of CA then your speed is OK.

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2007, 1:19 PM
Great looking pen. Well done.

Tom Sherman
07-18-2007, 5:16 PM
Great job Mike, I'm sure your brother will enjoy this one.